Sign in to follow this  
melons

318is standard spring lengths?

Could a kind member with a set of standard e36 318is springs lying around please measure the length of the springs?

I wish to compare to a set of 320i springs I have picked up for very little $$

cheers

Could a kind member with a set of standard e36 318is springs lying around please measure the length of the springs?

I wish to compare to a set of 320i springs I have picked up for very little $$

cheers

The 320 springs will more than likely be the same length as your 318 springs. However due to the 6 cyclinder being heavier the front springs will be a thicker diameter wire or "stronger" to compensate for the extra weight. If you put them in it will raise your 318. The rears should be identical.

^^ What Johno said is correct. Do it right first time with the correct springs.

cheers, yes I understand spring rate will be higher (probabley in front more than rears).

just want to know what ride height to expect by comparing actual length of springs. Want to replace my king springs as they are too soft for the low ride height: bottoms shocks and tyres on upper guards on bumpy roads. Not cool!

this way it save me some time putting in the springs and visually seeing the ride height.

or even better, if anyone has some standard 318is springs they want to give away, I'll take them! or if someone wants a low rider we can do a swap, if thats their thing.

cheers

Edited by melons

just thought there must be a few sets lying in people garages and its easy enough to put a tape measure to them...prove me right people

cheers, yes I understand spring rate will be higher (probabley in front more than rears).

just want to know what ride height to expect by comparing actual length of springs. Want to replace my king springs as they are too soft for the low ride height: bottoms shocks and tyres on upper guards on bumpy roads. Not cool!

this way it save me some time putting in the springs and visually seeing the ride height.

or even better, if anyone has some standard 318is springs they want to give away, I'll take them! or if someone wants a low rider we can do a swap, if thats their thing.

cheers

The factory springs should be the same length as the 320 springs.

King Springs are generally around 45mm lower than factory springs.

and........... it sounds like you need new shocks not springs. If your shocks are worn out they will bottom out just as you describe. Have you checked the bumpstops to see what condition they are in? It also sounds like you may not have the right tyre size/wheel offset on there.

You could double the rate of your springs and it will still behave as you say if the shocks are not working properly. :)

Edited by zenetti

The factory springs should be the same length as the 320 springs. The free length of the spring won't give you an accurate height comparison as they change according to rate, progression etc when in the car.

sounds like you need new shocks not springs :)

no there is a ride height issue (as well as maybe wheel issue). I cant carry 2 passengers without rear tyres rubbing. but any way, I like my wheels, dont like the springs so out they go.

just want to raise the vehicle.

it just needs a tape measure people.

no there is a ride height issue (as well as maybe wheel issue). I cant carry 2 passengers without rear tyres rubbing. but any way, I like my wheels, dont like the springs so out they go.

just want to raise the vehicle.

it just needs a tape measure people.

you don't need a tape measure :wacko:

King springs are approx 45mm lower than factory springs.

If you have the correct size tyres, correct offset wheels, even when you lower a car it won't rub. If your shocks are worn out, even with the factory springs it will probably still rub.

I am not trying to be a w*nker, just merely pointing out that changing springs may not solve the problem :)

what size tyres are you running in the rear and what offset are the wheels?

Edited by zenetti

Sorry to be OT people but this thread got me thinking. If i had, say 45mm lowering springs from a 325 and stuck them on a 318 would that make them stiffer but not as low as 45mm.

Sorry to be OT people but this thread got me thinking. If i had, say 45mm lowering springs from a 325 and stuck them on a 318 would that make them stiffer but not as low as 45mm.

yes, in theory for the fronts as the spring rate would be higher (stiffer). the rears would be about same height and spring rate, so no stiffer or higher, in theory.

you don't need a tape measure :wacko:

King springs are approx 45mm lower than factory springs.

If you have the correct size tyres, correct offset wheels, even when you lower a car it won't rub. If your shocks are worn out, even with the factory springs it will probably still rub.

I am not trying to be a w*nker, just merely pointing out that changing springs may not solve the problem :)

what size tyres are you running in the rear and what offset are the wheels?

Im not discounting what you are saying. Yes, if I had adjustable compression and rebound shocks I could dial alot bottoming problems out. heck, even better, high and low speed compression circuits. increase compression in low and high speed circuits and reduce rebound damping to allow shock stroke to recover in time before getting slammed by the next bump in the road! this would reduce the number of times that I bottom out for sure.

I could also replace my rims with better fitting items. this would reduce frequency of tyre rub. true.

but, maybe this is my fault for not stating, I dont want to spend $3k (2k for racing coilovers, camber adjustment and cert plate, 1k for new rims) to fix the fault on a $4k vehicle. I repeat: im not after a FIX. I just want to have less prblems (rub, bottoming and camber tyre wear) by raising the vehicle. LESS PROBLEMS, not a fix.

not being a wanker. ;)

..just looked at chassis height. 90mm off the deck, so need it higher for wof standard. dont want to have to cert.

simple fix if you want to raise the rear and stiffen it up a bit, use an E36 low (lowering spring) in the rear but make sure your shocks are in good order as the slightly higher spring rate may be too much for a standard potentially worn out shock absorber, OE springs can lose their tension overtime as they are often made of inferior material than good quality lowering springs.

Just realised your car is an E36 not E30 so ignore my previous comment, need to check what brand of springs you have in there at the moment, when you have that info give me a call and I'd be happy to help you out with some advice. Cheers Keith 021-378-902.

hey Melons,

Im also having exactly the same issue as you, with my rear tyres rubbing when i have people in the back or hit a rather mediocre bump in the the road. I was thinking at first that it was my tyre issues but after doing some research found that everything was stock standard on my car, which has me thinking down the line of ever worn shocks or springs starting to sag.... as it is really noticeable now after half a year that the rear is lowering itself... i can no longer see the top of my right rear tyre where as i can on my left rear, and yes before anyone asks, the car was parked on flat level ground when i checked.

Anyways I'm interested in hearing how you get on with your solution to the problem and how much it costs,

Does anyone know of any places they would recommend regards getting this sorted... and if someones done it in the past how much roughly did you pay? i dont really know what a good rate is to pay for getting suspension fixed... i just want my car to look normal again. :blink:

Changing rear springs is an easy task to do yourself.

Price varies, second hand as low as $50, brand new sets over $400

Talk to Keith who posted above, his name is SUSPENSION for a reason.

hey Melons,

Im also having exactly the same issue as you, with my rear tyres rubbing when i have people in the back or hit a rather mediocre bump in the the road. I was thinking at first that it was my tyre issues but after doing some research found that everything was stock standard on my car, which has me thinking down the line of ever worn shocks or springs starting to sag.... as it is really noticeable now after half a year that the rear is lowering itself... i can no longer see the top of my right rear tyre where as i can on my left rear, and yes before anyone asks, the car was parked on flat level ground when i checked.

Anyways I'm interested in hearing how you get on with your solution to the problem and how much it costs,

Does anyone know of any places they would recommend regards getting this sorted... and if someones done it in the past how much roughly did you pay? i dont really know what a good rate is to pay for getting suspension fixed... i just want my car to look normal again. :blink:

Hi Craig

I have replied to you in your other post as well. Pop in and see us and we will have a look at it for you. we are in Penrose

cheers

Johno