Sign in to follow this  
sascha

TechII e30 M50

Ok, so as some of you might know I bought John's e30 m50 a few weeks back. I figured I might aswell post up some pics, I haven't done much at this stage though.

What I've done so far:

-Replace the gearknob with a nice leather ///M gearknob

-Put in a Rearview mirror (didn't come with one)

-Put silver bottlecaps on to replace the black/green ones it came on (they had no rubber left, these bottlecaps are only a temp until I get new wheels)

-Bimmersport euro surrounds !

-Put in my mates old head unit+some old speakers as a temp until I can afford a decent system

-Cleaned it :D

-Driven it (put around 1500kms on it in the first week I owned it)

-Straightened rego sticker :lol:

Think that's it.

Lots to do still:

-Central locking isn't working, was hoping it would be a small electrical fault, but after pulling off two door card I found that there aren't even central locking motors in some of the doors.

-RR electric window isn't working

-Need a new bonnet lever

-Need recaro's

-Decent Music

-Wheels

-Would like to get the front resprayed at some point, all the paint is chipping off.

To name a few

Anyway it's heaps of fun to drive, handles like a go kart.

Have attached some photos of how it was when I bought it, will also attach some of how it is now (hardly any difference)

Main goal is to generally tidy it up (theres lots of little things that need doing)

Comments/suggestions appreciated

EDIT: I suppose I should put up a link to the build thread

post-4861-1299901260.jpg

post-4861-1299901306.jpg

post-4861-1299901360.jpg

post-4861-1299901412.jpg

Edited by sascha

And heres some pics of how it looks now (not much different)

Including my new gearknob, and compulsory picture of another bmw in the reflection :)

post-4861-1299902000.jpg

post-4861-1299902025.jpg

post-4861-1299902062.jpg

post-4861-1299902139.jpg

Well it can be adjusted ( not sure if it was). But it would look lower on bigger wheels anyway.

Yeah I'm kind of surprised the back is as low as it goes (john even took the adjusters out to go lower), but the front is almost wound right up, would love to drop the front more but I already hardly make it up my driveway.

But yeah it'll look better once theres some wheels that fill the guards on it.

I noticed that the cert plate only says 1990cc engine cap, and 18x7 wheels?? So the cert officer must have made a mistake, because we all know it had the 2.5 in it and some 16s on when it went for the cert..

Any ideas what I can do about it? Dont want to have to pay for another cert, especially when it was their mistake..

Cheers

When I had Ashkans old E30 with the 2.5 in it, I had to get it all certed (long pink stickered story).

My cert plate said 1990cc as well, but they don't know the difference at a testing station, I wouldn't worry about it.

You will have to get it re certed bud, to make it 100% legal.

If you want to run it i dont think any cop will be able to tell about the engine but the wheels can easily be noticed.

I asked John about this when i was looking into buying it and he said the certifier made a mistake.

I don't think the wheels really matter on the cert plate, my wheels are different than stated on it. And so are a lot of others i know of.

Oh ok, that sucks, shouldn't have to pay again if it was their mistake.. I suppose the hard thing is proving that it was infact their mistake!

Yeah the keskins looked sweet, but I couldn't afford an extra $1500 for rims that need new tyres!

I don't think the wheels really matter on the cert plate, my wheels are different than stated on it. And so are a lot of others i know of.

Unfortunately it does matter :(

If your wheels are different to the size stated on your cert plate then you can get green/pink stickered.

It is a silly rule but your wheels must be the size/width stated. If you change them then you have to get it recerted.

If your wheels are different to the size stated on your cert plate then you can get green/pink stickered.

It is a silly rule but your wheels must be the size/width stated. If you change them then you have to get it recerted.

So would you say I should contact LTSA and try to convince them to change it free of charge (as they made the mistake)?

If it was me who got it certed I would have called them the next day, because it's a bit hard to call them half a year later and say they made a mistake..

EDIT: Just saw HERE that you don't need to re-cert for the wheels as long as the rolling circumference does not change by more than 5%. I can't remember if there was a tyre size on the cert plate off the top of my head so can't work out what sizes I can use to be within this 5%, but I'll have a look tomorrow

Edited by sascha

The certifier has to act on information given by the person needing the cert. He would not know the CC rating. He must rely on all the info given by the applicant. What Johno said about the wheels is correct. I also had to recert after changing from Auto to Manual.

Oh really? In the three years i've owned mine i haven't been asked to show the cert plate so lets hope it stays like that.

When I got pulled over and had to show cert the wheel size was never brought up neither was engine cc at WOF time at VTNZ.

I'm a douche when it comes to holding recepts but on the certification sheet I had wrote it was 2494cc for the m50 and he had wrote 16x7 for the wheels bit but the plate came back 18x7 god knows why and standard engine cc (since its a 320i standard).

I had marks (1rotty) 16x7 wheels too for the cert since everyone said the keskins with stretch would fail, right after i got the cert and WOF I gave his wheels back and noticed a while after the wrong details on the plate. I rang the place up but the guy that does the certs was off work due to heart surgery so would potentially be of for months and I didn't wanna go back with keskins because that would have been a fuss.. So I just forgot about it.

BTW, I'm sure i said the central locking modules were out, They all seized closed (I made a thread about it) So I grabbed a spare set out of marks parts e30 and had like a whole bunch of spares in the boot to play around with.

p.s I'll get onto those emails soon

When I got pulled over and had to show cert the wheel size was never brought up neither was engine cc at WOF time at VTNZ.

I'm a douche when it comes to holding recepts but on the certification sheet I had wrote it was 2494cc for the m50 and he had wrote 16x7 for the wheels bit but the plate came back 18x7 god knows why and standard engine cc (since its a 320i standard).

I had marks (1rotty) 16x7 wheels too for the cert since everyone said the keskins with stretch would fail, right after i got the cert and WOF I gave his wheels back and noticed a while after the wrong details on the plate. I rang the place up but the guy that does the certs was off work due to heart surgery so would potentially be of for months and I didn't wanna go back with keskins because that would have been a fuss.. So I just forgot about it.

BTW, I'm sure i said the central locking modules were out, They all seized closed (I made a thread about it) So I grabbed a spare set out of marks parts e30 and had like a whole bunch of spares in the boot to play around with.

p.s I'll get onto those emails soon

Sweet, could I get the certifiers name off you and maybe they'll still have a record of your phone call (if I'm lucky).

It's all good, I didn't realise they were already out, but you did say there were spares in the boot. No worries!

Sweet man, just before they get lost/I forget to get them off you.

Nah I talked to the receptionist, he was already away on his heart op thats why I never bothered. I never actually hit the guy up who certified it or else it probably would have been resolved.

Nah I talked to the receptionist, he was already away on his heart op thats why I never bothered. I never actually hit the guy up who certified it or else it probably would have been resolved.

Oh true, all good. Do you remember the certifier's name anyway? And I'll hit them up anyway, maybe they still have you paperwork that you filled out or something. I'm sure I wont get pulled up for it but rather be safe than sorry ay.

If you can't remember thats all good

Little update, sorry no pics atm.

Put in a nice head unit a while back, it lets me play music off my iphone or even a usb memory stick, and the best thing is the backlight is adjustable, so the colour matches my dash!

New delrin offset urethane control arm bushes (thanks to kerry)

Good second hand rear brake pads & rotors to replace my shot ones (for now)

New powersteering belt

And apparently a few tightened bolts, with Ray's boys finding heaps of loose bolts and other things that need attention when it was up on the hoist.

Cheers Ray, will be bringing it back down as soon as I can!

But anyway, looks like my wheel fund might have to go into getting things fixed for now.

Note to self: Before buying next car check it out properly!

Love it. New wheels look crisp.