MrDevine

1992 E34 M5

priced about right .

not the best colour though for a e34

you can take those turbine covers off.

they look like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

or gets some throwing star covers for them .

like this

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

That looks better.

Yeah alpine white not the best, but with black wheels would look cool. Would imagine parts to be a PITA for that era?

That looks better.

Yeah alpine white not the best, but with black wheels would look cool. Would imagine parts to be a PITA for that era?

i bet most are still avaiable ex dealer.M car parts expensive(more expensive)

Too cheap? I imagine the 3.6 is just as bullet proof as the S50 so KM not a big deal, i want very much.

I know this car quite well. Around 2000 I spent a bit of time playing Tennis with the son of the original owner of this car.

Back then we would admire each other's cars- I had a 635csi Highline and I would drool over this vehicle. He bought it new in Sth Africa and he was very passionate about his M5.

When he sold it it had around 120kms and he sold it for $30k around 2002.

It was bought by an accountant in Napier who clocked up the mileage pretty quickly to the low 200's. I believe it has had 2 owners since.

In my opinion, it is not as 'pretty' without the spoiler on the boot or sans T-stars, but this is how BMW Germany launched this car.

It was meant to be the ultimate Q-car, and was meant to surprise you. When I lived in Germany, most of the E34 M5's in my town were de-badged as well !

I think the ones with the throwing -stars and rear boot-spoiler look a lot cooler (a friend of mine has a white example with exactly that, and it is hot).

However, they are rare this way with the turbines, etc. The only other example I know of like this in NZ is a Sebring Gray example which I would see in Parnell regularly.

Out of the 524 made in RHD, how many I wonder would look like this today? A friend of mine who was in the motor industry in the UK once said that once the t-stars were available, people were canning the Turbines to replace them with the t-stars as they looked better.

Edited by ssbmw

Wasn't this Jock Styles old car ?

Hi, pretty sure Jock's car was NZ new, and had the throwing stars.

As far as I know there are at least three white ones in NZ- Jock's old car, this one, and my friend who has a very nice ex- UK example.

All have pretty similar mileage.

Do you know how many of the later 3.8L cars we have here SS ?

Do you know how many of the later 3.8L cars we have here SS ?

sold new nz to gary paykel .

3.8l with a 5spd not the later 6spd

Brent is right, from what I have gathered, only one 5 speed 3.8- an example in Avus Blue. Changed hands about a year or so ago for give or take around $20k with around 200,000kms of travel. Was living in Wanganui for quite a while.

Is currently owned by a Bimmersport guy. The car was depicted in the show-room section once he bought it.

I believe it is now being serviced at BM Workshop, grey Lynn.

I think the plate was Miiiii, or something like that.

Very rare car and in a very desirable colour.

Hi, pretty sure Jock's car was NZ new, and had the throwing stars.

ahh cool .. cheers :)

Someone should put the engine to better use? e30 maybe :D

It's not that hard, there are a few about, it's similar to fitting an M30.

A bit late to the party here, There was at least 1 other 3.8 sold here NZ New, now owned by Christchurch BMW. Rego SD5170. Not sure what they paid but I know it had done about 120kms. Also, Purple, T-Stars and cloth M5 seats. 

received_430042964234973.jpeg

received_410975683031343.jpeg

Screenshot_20190516-211237_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190516-211254_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20190516-211311_Gallery.jpg

Edited by LRBMfan
Added images
  • Like 1

You are late to the party, by nearly a decade, but cool pics. I'd rock a purple (Daytona Voilet IRC?) M5 anyday. 

The cheapest E34 M5 Ive seen sold was EUR1000, in Ireland about 6years ago. Had a bunch of minor to moderate electrical problems plus the internal blower motor sounded like a cement mixer. Sadly the guy who bought it wasnt really a car guy at all, he just needed a cheap car. Crazy times, Im sure he ran it completely into the ground.

Edited by Kodachrome

and one of them here 

So possibly 2-3 nz new 3.6 M5’s ( and lots of imports), 3 with 3.8’s, and no doubt the odd import too.

However, why so rare? 

Was this due to the effects of the share market crash in 87?’

I suspect too that BMW weren’t as good with their marketing back then for their M5’s. A lot of people didn’t really know what a M5 entailed. 

A far cry from the success Bmw had with subsequent  versions of the M5. 

Edited by ssbmw
Spelling

I'm sure the E39 on wards would have had much higher production numbers, can't exactly crank out hand built motors after all. 90's was when other manufacturers were catching up and they started to go more mainstream appeal.

Ressurection of this post has got me thinking - anyone know what happened to, or where is, the green re-shelled E34 M5? I recall @BM WORLD sold it 5-6 years ago?

23 minutes ago, treone said:

Ressurection of this post has got me thinking - anyone know what happened to, or where is, the green re-shelled E34 M5? I recall @BM WORLD sold it 5-6 years ago?

I was going to buy it but settled for an e39 M5.

It’s a race car now, I stumbled across it in some facebook photos of a race weekend a few weeks back.