Sign in to follow this  
Jamex316

Petro Octane

Definitely recommend 95 for the bimmer, 91 is for lawn mowers...

I even put 95 in my lawn mower, any leftover fuel I put it back in the car so I don't have to store them in the shed. I just get fresh fuel every time I mow the lawn.

This discussion comes up every couple of months, just get the 95+ for modern BMWs. For the price of a coffee (or beer, shooter, a large can of V, etc...), you can fill up the tank (60L?) with what the car deserves to run on. I feel better knowing the car is running on the fuel it's suppose to run on.

The best thing you can do is get your ECU mapped with the fuel you want to run sitting in the tank.

It's what I did :)

Until when you map the car for 98 and you end up middle of no where and can't find any of the damn 98s.

First off, wtf is pinging?? Because that just immediatly makes me think of ping pong. And second, I run 91 because it's cheaper and I get between 7.8 - 9.1km/l in the suburbs and on the motorway I get around 10.5 - 15km/l. I don't have a sticker so I just went with the option that doesn't see my car physically consuming my wallet.

I even put 95 in my lawn mower, any leftover fuel I put it back in the car so I don't have to store them in the shed. I just get fresh fuel every time I mow the lawn.

This discussion comes up every couple of months, just get the 95+ for modern BMWs. For the price of a coffee (or beer, shooter, a large can of V, etc...), you can fill up the tank (60L?) with what the car deserves to run on. I feel better knowing the car is running on the fuel it's suppose to run on.

98 in the 328i, and 91 and Castrol R30 in the lawnmower. Smells great!

i ran the 535 on 91 said so on a sticker in the gas tank...if i used 95 i did get marginally better economy bit overall about the same distance for the dollar.

Noticed a huge difference with 95 in the e30. Brought it and used to run on 91 and would seem sluggish and stall easily. However notice a performance increase and never attempts to stall with 95!! Havent seen much difference if any though between 95 and 98. Defiantly worth the extra $ for 95 though!!!

The difference per fill is f**k all. Like $2-$3 a tank.....

If you use a 4c off a litre voucher you're basically negating it..........

Until when you map the car for 98 and you end up middle of no where and can't find any of the damn 98s.

This is annoying when you are out of Auckland or even in a part of town you don't know. I had my car tuned to run it (see supercharge E39 535i thread) and were constantly playing chicken with the fuel light.. it didn't help that when the car was refitted with larger injectors its fuel gage was way out also <_<

Im not sure V-Power is making my car very Ferrari like but as Pjay says, they have fly buys...but BP have great Coffee and better looking staff. Its tough. :)

Fuel economy tip:

I walk to work and save a sh*t load every week, my tip is to try and find work close to home, you will save hours of your life bettering your life quality and literally thousands of dollars every year that you waist going to and from the place you earn it. Counter productive.

Oh and coast.. coasting saves crap loads, who cares if you are holding that sales rep in a Mazda 6 up from stopping to wait faster.

Edited by Apex

..but BP have great Coffee and better looking staff. Its tough. :)

Why thank you ;)

what is pinging?

Pinging or detonation in this case is when the fuel and air pre-ignites before the spark plug fires it. In some cases this will happen before the piston reaches top dead centre and the expanding gases will try to fight against the movement of the crank.

Pinging or detonation in this case is when the fuel and air pre-ignites before the spark plug fires it. In some cases this will happen before the piston reaches top dead centre and the expanding gases will try to fight against the movement of the crank.

Not quite, you're describing pre-ignition, pinging is where the spark ignites the fuel as per normal, but conditions in the cylinder mean the fuel doesn't burn correctly. Although I thought the same as you for hundreds of years before I was corrected by a car nerd mate.