Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

iPad 2 - who will be getting one?

So uhm. without having my face ripped off for useless comments...

wtf do you all use yours for?

I reckon it'd be fairly useful.

My useless question is why spend $800+ upgrading from ipad1 to ipad2? It's hardly any different, no?

Has anyone resisted the marketing powerhouse that is apple and bought a competing tablet?

I was keen to get one for browsing the internets to and from work/ when cbf using the laptop.

Went around to some places on the shore this morning but it was all sold out, but had some fun playing with the display ones.

So uhm. without having my face ripped off for useless comments...

wtf do you all use yours for?

my partners keen to get one to display her web design work when freelancing. Would imagine graphic designers and photographers would be using it as an easy way to show clients work as well.

there's some good music apps that i'd be keen to try...

they are a cool little toy but I'd never buy one - IMO they still cant replace a laptop/pc (storage and optical drives) and they're too big to lug around. My flatmate is really keen to get one but can't explain exactly what he'd use it for, just caught up in the hype. I just cant understand what is so amazing about the new one (over the old one) that people are queuing to get it

edit - if they made a 'tough'pad, (looks like some people do actually) something that could handle water/dust/scratch-proof it could be pretty handy for work, easier than carrying round a massive folder of plans (that get blown away, soaked, torn, 'borrowed,' etc), could have all contract documents on hand, product info, and take notes, pictures etc.

Edited by Mike

they are a cool little toy but I'd never buy one - IMO they still cant replace a laptop/pc (storage and optical drives) and they're too big to lug around. My flatmate is really keen to get one but can't explain exactly what he'd use it for, just caught up in the hype. I just cant understand what is so amazing about the new one (over the old one) that people are queuing to get it

edit - if they made a 'tough'pad, something that could handle water/dust/scratch-proof it could be pretty handy for work, easier than carrying round a massive folder of plans (that get blown away, soaked, torn, 'borrowed,' etc), could have all contract documents on hand, product info, and take notes, pictures etc.

But, people were NEVER going to buy a PC unless it had a floppy, 2 serial ports and a parallel port. Otherwise, it would be useless!!!

My whole workflow has changed - I use Dropbox for all my file sync - and have got some very useful apps for to-do lists, note taking, drawing diagrams, quoting etc. For presentations, document browsing, images, web, email, games etc - it is insanely useful, compact - and kicks the sh*t out of a laptop on battery life. Oh, and the 3G without tethering just means you pick it up, get what you need and put it down.

So, for me, I didn't really "see" what I could do with it because my laptop was everything - but once I got one - functions that I was lugging the laptop around for have been easily handled by the iPad. Now I leave the office all day with just my iPad. Nuts!

[Also, there are hundreds of cases which would turn it into a tough iPad]

edit - if they made a 'tough'pad

http://toughbook.panasonic.co.nz/models/to...ook-rugged.html

I like that call about the two serial ports the floppy ect ect. :D

Be surprised about how often Floppy drives are still asked for.

They seem like they have some uses... like. presenting ect... bored browsing could be interesting.. I dunno how I'd go with touch screen note taking. I can use a keyboard with great success.. but then again, I didn't want to buy a touch phone out of fear from using an iPhone1 ages ago and not being able to do anything D:

Couldn't justify it for 800 though.(that's a manual conversion yanno) but whatever floats yer boat, if you find it good, best to stick with what works for you.

Pretty toys but not for everyone. I find that unless you have a reasonably good platform to place them on they're very fiddly. I can email quicker from my droid as it has a flip out qwerty and is easier to hold. Nice to watch movies on but you have to hold it or prop it up somehow. Can't say much for the 2 as I haven't seen it or played with one yet but based on the 1st i'd pass thanks.

As said before, not for everyone but some people will find a genuinely good use for them, they're a niche product and it's funny watching people go nuts for them then find ways to justify it. My work colleague has the 1st one and, well, doesn't use it at work :wacko:

Pretty toys but not for everyone. I find that unless you have a reasonably good platform to place them on they're very fiddly. I can email quicker from my droid as it has a flip out qwerty and is easier to hold. Nice to watch movies on but you have to hold it or prop it up somehow. Can't say much for the 2 as I haven't seen it or played with one yet but based on the 1st i'd pass thanks.

As said before, not for everyone but some people will find a genuinely good use for them, they're a niche product and it's funny watching people go nuts for them then find ways to justify it. My work colleague has the 1st one and, well, doesn't use it at work :wacko:

Fair enough. See, I tried the droid and couldn't believe that people would use the keyboard, maybe it is ok if your fingers are tiny, but pretty much seemed like a gimmick. For me, the iPad keyboard is great and I bash out emails and small reports while I'm sitting inside the client site. I have the apple cover which sits it up perfectly for typing.

You are right in saying that most people buy it then justify it. But when the personal computer first arrived on the scene all those years ago, it was exactly the same. Turned out to be a hit product.

My old man cant use a computer. Doesn't understand the mouse/pointer concept too well and just finds it too hard. Now, iPad? Yep, he is sorted.

Just to add to this again.

The vodafone dude is right LOL you have to pay $20 more to get a Ipad 2 Sim card to run on there network what a joke. Yes it might come with $20 credit but thats not the thing.. People wont things to just work together.

The vodafone dude is right LOL you have to pay $20 more to get a Ipad 2 Sim card to run on there network what a joke. Yes it might come with $20 credit but thats not the thing.. People wont things to just work together.

Vodafone - I'm out. They are sh*t.

I have a few phones and the Vodafone simmed models are the worst. The 3GS I have is on Vodafone (for 3 more days - then I'm onto XT). It gets 1 bar of reception at my house - XT gets 5 bars. Actually, XT gets 5 bars everywhere I go!!! I drove from Hamilton to the bombays (talking to my sister on a single call) the other week on my XT iPhone and it didn't drop/stutter once.

If I try to drive from Albany to Takapuna while on my Vodafone iPhone - it will always drop the call around constellation drive. WTF?? XT and 2degrees don't do that.

So I ring Vodafone customer service who give this bullshit story about the network being fine and trying a reload of my iPhone software. I simply pull out the voda sim and drop in the XT sim - 5 bars. Even after doing that - they insist nothing is wrong with their network and that I should try to restore my iPhone. I didn't restore my iPhone - I turbocharged the bastard with another provider's sim!!!

Bye vodafone. You SUCK!!!!!!!!

Everyone should move to 2degrees or XT - do it now. Forget the penalties, Telecom will give you a credit to nullify the penalty if you talk to them nicely. There is nothing like reception and vodafone have bugger all.

Edited by E90 M3

Vodafone - I'm out. They are sh*t.

I have a few phones and the Vodafone simmed models are the worst. The 3GS I have is on Vodafone (for 3 more days - then I'm onto XT). It gets 1 bar of reception at my house - XT gets 5 bars. Actually, XT gets 5 bars everywhere I go!!! I drove from Hamilton to the bombays (talking to my sister on a single call) the other week on my XT iPhone and it didn't drop/stutter once.

If I try to drive from Albany to Takapuna while on my Vodafone iPhone - it will always drop the call around constellation drive. WTF?? XT and 2degrees don't do that.

So I ring Vodafone customer service who give this bullshit story about the network being fine and trying a reload of my iPhone software. I simply pull out the voda sim and drop in the XT sim - 5 bars. Even after doing that - they insist nothing is wrong with their network and that I should try to restore my iPhone. I didn't restore my iPhone - I turbocharged the bastard with another provider's sim!!!

Bye vodafone. You SUCK!!!!!!!!

Everyone should move to 2degrees or XT - do it now. Forget the penalties, Telecom will give you a credit to nullify the penalty if you talk to them nicely. There is nothing like reception and vodafone have bugger all.

Well put Sir, the dropouts while moving between towers are ongoing software issues that vfone have with their signalling between nodes.

What i find most annoying when i'm using any of my friends vfone connects devices is the constant drop down to 2G whenever you try to load anything, its infuriating! BUT WAIT at least they have a "backup" 2g network right!? nothing but an incumbent bunch of muppets that are lead with their PR and Marketing groups at the wheel.

/rant

(and yes i realize this is off topic sry)

as for the needing a new SIM theory ... i will try to get hold of one to test myself but i still refuse to believe something that is so seemingly ridiculous!

Actually just on this - anyone know what sim works with Ipad 2?? Nobody seems to know.

Got the wife one for her birthday and it suits her use well and loves it - I've asked around and no one seems to know what sim card it takes for the 3G - not even Vodafone.

Anyone know for certain?

all carriers will work 2D and XT just put any microsim in ... there is some debate as to if you needs a brand new microsim on voda or not

Different SIM card might have different settings, Telecom used to have v2 and v3 SIM which fixes voicemail button on iPhone and Blackberry. But what's the difference between those Vodafone iPad2 SIM compare to old ones anyway? No one seems to know.

For those that doesn't know, to get the 3G iPad 1 (or 2) working on whatever SIM, just pop it in and setup the correct APN for whatever network you are on.

www.vodafone.net.nz <- Voda

internet.telecom.co.nz <- Telecom

internet <- 2 degree

Actually just on this - anyone know what sim works with Ipad 2?? Nobody seems to know.

Got the wife one for her birthday and it suits her use well and loves it - I've asked around and no one seems to know what sim card it takes for the 3G - not even Vodafone.

Anyone know for certain?

i have a iPad 2 running on 2degrees prepay. Confirmed. Works. No issues.

i have a iPad 2 running on 2degrees prepay. Confirmed. Works. No issues.

Cheers!! Just what I needed to hear.

Ok so with the vf SIMs they were TAC locking them to the iPad 1 IMEI's, as of 01/2011 this was halted so if you got the sim post Jan you should be good to go.

Pretty crap communication from vf in regards to the details.

question , do they come with iphoto?

im thinking on getting the ipad one , to replace laptop which i mainly use for surfin the net etc?

question , do they come with iphoto?

im thinking on getting the ipad one , to replace laptop which i mainly use for surfin the net etc?

They have a photos app which you can get photos off your camera and send out via email etc etc. You need the camera connection kit to get the photos there. It gives you an SD card reader and a USB port.