Sign in to follow this  
DrphTa

e36 Grounding points

Does anybody know the grounding points in an e36? Having some electrical issues at the moment and its getting to me..

theres quite a few of them , some in the engine bay around the fuse box and dianostic port.

also the ones under the dash both sides into the metal frame that the dash bolts to (quite often used by alarm guys and they leave them loose etc)

also in the back of the car near the tail lights /under the left rear speaker etc.

also check the main erath straps on the battery and the main earth strap for the engine

Cheers Brent, just the info i was after

All grounds are firm. Had a play under the dash with a couple of looms that were hanging down. My illumination works now but still no speed, consumpion or range. The range works but doesnt count up or down like normal. it will stick on say 300, then jump to 250 after 30 minutes. Outside temp works fine. Anything else I could try?

maybe a fault in the cluster or cables/plugs betweent the cluster and the obc

Had a look at the plugs on the OBC with no help.

My headunit will run for hours with the car running in the driveway no problem. As soon as I start to drive it turns off every 5-20 seconds and straight back on. I put a multimeter on it today and the voltage is dropping out for less than a second.

Sigh im clueless lol

You need to check to see if it is the ground or power that is dropping out. I fixed a similar problem on an E30 and it was because the person who installed the stereo had run their own ground for some reason and it was not very well grounded.

Edited by polley

I put a multimeter on it today and the voltage is dropping out for less than a second.

Check that you have systems voltage at the ACC terminal on the back of the ignition switch (violet wire) Turn on and off several times when checking to make sure you are getting a good voltage supply. Try it engine off & on as well.

All grounds are firm. Had a play under the dash with a couple of looms that were hanging down. My illumination works now but still no speed, consumpion or range. The range works but doesnt count up or down like normal. it will stick on say 300, then jump to 250 after 30 minutes. Outside temp works fine. Anything else I could try?

Is the speedo not working?

May or may not be helpfull but it's free so try it.

Pull the plug off the back he diff, make sure all contacts are clean and gently squeeze the female connectors together to make sure the the contacts good.

Is the speedo not working?

May or may not be helpfull but it's free so try it.

Pull the plug off the back he diff, make sure all contacts are clean and gently squeeze the female connectors together to make sure the the contacts good.

Speedo is working fine, its just the calculations in the OBC that arent working correctly

Check that you have systems voltage at the ACC terminal on the back of the ignition switch (violet wire) Turn on and off several times when checking to make sure you are getting a good voltage supply. Try it engine off & on as well.

These were my findings Glenn

Ignition

Off - 5.5mV

On - 12.3V

Car on - 13.9V

Tried the stereo 'ignition' too

Off - 4.3V

On - 11.4V

Car on - 13V

Seems okay to me. Im still certain its a ground somwhere, even though I have tightened all of them

These were my findings Glenn

Ignition

Off - 5.5mV

On - 12.3V

Car on - 13.9V

Tried the stereo 'ignition' too

Off - 4.3V

On - 11.4V

Car on - 13V

Seems okay to me. Im still certain its a ground somwhere, even though I have tightened all of them

Jeez, what a lemon ;)

Jeez, what a lemon ;)

Is there something you know that I dont?

Is there something you know that I dont?

Ha know? Has all this happened since you fitted the stereo?

The day after.

* I had a shop look at my pulley, so I have my suspicions

Edited by DrphTa

The day after.

* I had a shop look at my pulley, so I have my suspicions

I'm guessing it's related to the sounds. What pully?

Power steering pulley. It is a bit pear shaped at the moment, just makes a bit of belt noise. They may have played with the electrics while working on the car.

I have tried different power and ground feeds to the headunit still with no success. The only thing I havent tried is directly of the battery

Power steering pulley. It is a bit pear shaped at the moment, just makes a bit of belt noise. They may have played with the electrics while working on the car.

I have tried different power and ground feeds to the headunit still with no success. The only thing I havent tried is directly of the battery

Just for shits and giggles, remove your stereo earth, sounds silly but try it.

I cant see the stereo working at all without an earth?

I cant see the stereo working at all without an earth?

My cluster started doing funny things when i put my new head unit in, long story short, i found out the stereo was earthing through the amp so didn't need the earth at the head unit, disconnected it and all was fine, worth a shot.

Im not running an amp. I simply changed the headunit

Im not running an amp. I simply changed the headunit

They came with a amp from factory, left hand side of boot, white wire is the remote turn on for this.

They came with a amp from factory, left hand side of boot, white wire is the remote turn on for this.

Ha okay, I dont have the white wire connected to the remote on my headunit. this might be why im getting headaches lol

So I had a go at that Greg and it didnt work, no suprise. Forgot to mention that my windscreen wipers on 2nd click work at the same rate the 1st click does. Ie Intermittent, intermittent then fast. There is no mediocre speed.

This happened in my last e36 and 2nd click worked fine when the headunit was off. The previous owner must have used the ground or power from the wipers..

Anything else I can try lads?