Sign in to follow this  
Carlkb

Compact tarmac rally car

Looks pretty trick back there.

Did you make up a spare set of the modified trailing arms, nothing worse than not having spares at hand...

Nice to see the lower shock mounts in (what appears to be) double shear, it's hard to see but did you run into trouble with extending the shock mount back and the brake caliper bracket/adaptor?

Were the 300M axles off the shelf from another model or did you have to make them also to length?  Looks like the CV's have been 'lightened' also?

Great work!

Can you give more info and more pics on the large case diff setup please?

It looks really well engineered.

On 5 October 2016 at 10:18 AM, E30-323ti said:

Looks pretty trick back there.

Did you make up a spare set of the modified trailing arms, nothing worse than not having spares at hand...

Nice to see the lower shock mounts in (what appears to be) double shear, it's hard to see but did you run into trouble with extending the shock mount back and the brake caliper bracket/adaptor?

Were the 300M axles off the shelf from another model or did you have to make them also to length?  Looks like the CV's have been 'lightened' also?

Great work!

Hey, Yeah I agree with you and yup I made spare arms.  

The design was done by Kayne Barrie, I can't take the credit and theres some pretty trick ideas in there that you can't see! No modification to the arms needed apart from that welded plate. Uses larger off the shelf wheel bearings, E28  inner drive flange and for the compact a stronger custom hardened Hub. This is a really good solution for e30s/compacts breaking axles. I haven't seen anyone anywhere able to put a larger stronger shaft through the standard E30 arm and most parts are available off the shelf...So easy! 

"Sway away" make the axles and lots of off road guys use them in the states, every things on the shelf ready to go.

The CV's are from GKN, but there essentially a "Porsche 108mm" cv. These are super common and you can pick them up at most performance websites selling driveline products.  I went with CV as its there same as my old man runs in his GTR. His spares now become our spares haha, according to GKN the cut down CVs apparently have 30% better cooling. More surface area I suppose.

If you want a strong E30 rear end give Kayne a bell. 

• Like 1

On 6 October 2016 at 0:15 AM, zero said:

Can you give more info and more pics on the large case diff setup please?

It looks really well engineered.

The diff case is out of an E28 M5. Aparently there are two types, tall nose and the one I have.  It bolts right up to the E30 subframe. I had to channel the rail above the diff to make it fit but that was easy.  Ive welded lugs into that same rail where the rear diff mount bolts too, you can see it in the photo.  Fairly easy really

And thanks Josh! 

5 hours ago, Steve K-B said:

If you want a strong E30 rear end give Kayne a bell. 

Thanks for the update, certainly a nice outcome.

When I did mine, I went with a complete E28 rear-end and converted the rear to coil-overs, so she's plenty strong for the old E30.
This way I also got the benefit of better trailing arm geometry, and the ease of 'pick-a-part' direct replacements.

I had some e28 arms but from memory they were quite short in comparison to the e30 arms? Did you swap out the subframe too?

6 hours ago, Steve K-B said:

I had some e28 arms but from memory they were quite short in comparison to the e30 arms? Did you swap out the subframe too?

Yeah, the whole subframe went in as they (late model ones) have a lower sweep angle (12° vs 15°) than the E30, and the toe-control links.

Made the rear end so much more stable for cornering (esp. when bumpy), and straight line traction as it doesn't toe-in when it squats.
[edit: not that it squats too much anyway with #350 springs in the rear]

Edited by E30-323ti
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, BM WORLD said:

ya go the e28 parts :)

You bet! they came from you if you can cast your mind back that far brent ;)

• Like 1