Sign in to follow this  
Carlkb

Compact tarmac rally car

Hey all,

Ive finally got a new project! Ive been BMW-less for the last couple of years so have been pretty quiet around the forum. Being a bit of a BMW family, I thought Id better not change a good formula but I didnt want to do usual E30 or an E36 sedan. Ive instead opted for an E36 compact to compete in tarmac only rallys, hill climbs, rally sprints, gymkana (sp?) and the odd track event. Im quite excited but it will take most/if not all of winter to complete.

I picked up the hair dresser mobile a few weeks back and have striped it out to almost a rolling chassie so far. Plans are to install an alloy M52 2.8 (six pot) and five speed box witch I already have sitting at home. Would have loved to have an S14 but can afford it... Turns out the compacts came out with a six cylinder in SA so its sweet for th open BMW class. Have done a fair bit more work since these photos but gives you an idea.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I want this thing to be as light as I can get it (thats why id love the s14) so will probaly get a Harry Hockly fiber glass kit and if the money lets me will also get lexan windows. Heater box is gone and am in the process of stripping the extra wireing that wont be needed.

This is all the rubbish in the harnes so far, still a bit to come out too

Posted Image

In the end Id love it to look something like this, minus the cool lights and roof vent:

Posted Image

Will hope fuly be updating this thread every couple of weeks or so.

Steve

looks like a cool project

you should put this in.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=369723360

or this

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-369400163.htm

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

OK, It turns out I was loged in on my brothers account for that last post!! So is me Steve K-B building the car, Not my brother Carl!

My bad.

And as for the s50, I really dont like the idea of an iron block, To much weight over the front wheels. I also belive you can get good power out of the M52 with throttle bodys and a good exhaust. May even change cams later down the line but I can always upgrade the engine when needed. Not a big problem

But you need a S50 to make your compact sound like this compact:

Also the weight difference is very minimal. Couple of bags of spuds at the most.

From my research theres more than 30 Kg in it. Ive had my time in a car that understeers and its not fun! Plus the S50/52 is a much more expensive engine.

As for the sound of a six, im not convinced I have ever heard one that I like. Id rather have this (excuse the good sounding box) --->

Edited by Steve K-B

Hey Steve. Good to hear from you.

Keep us updated, are you sure you dont want a roof vent :P

I was half tempted to re-home all my running gear into a compact, just weren't any cheap/appealing enough at the time, so now I've got an E30 with the engine stuck most of the way through the firewall :doh:

You might also like this thread for some ideas maybe??

Compact Rally Car Build

Cool project. Look forward to seeing it progress,.

Any thoughts on what type of events you will enter it in?

I was half tempted to re-home all my running gear into a compact, just weren't any cheap/appealing enough at the time, so now I've got an E30 with the engine stuck most of the way through the firewall :doh:

You might also like this thread for some ideas maybe??

Compact Rally Car Build

You never did update that thread of yours.

^Word.

Looks like a cool project mate will be watching this one.

Looks like an awesome project, except why tarmac only? Gravel is where it's at!

Where did your DX end up? I had seen it at a couple of events and saw it on trademe, was pretty tempted but then remembered that I can't afford a divorce. I hope it went to a good home, looked like a good buy.

Hey Tony! Its been to long, need to come along to the pub catch up again. Is it still going on? I made sure I got a car with out a sunroof so there will be no flash roof entries/exits this time haha.

Ive actually been following Dave Kern's compact thread for the last four or so months on a few different forums. Looks like a good build and it has given me (along with other builds) a pretty good idea on what i want.

As for events, Id love to do the Targa Rotorua or the Targa bambina with the old man, brother and cuz at some point but I dout i could ever afford the week long Targa. Tarranaki tarmac rally would be another good one and really any other club events like hill climbs, gymkanas (sp?) etc Maaaay do a bit or track racing as well but im not %100 sure yet.

Id actually planned to build this car for gravel and agree that its bloody good fun!! but after speaking to a few people ive since realized that the rear trailing arm suspension (same as E30) isnt really the best set up for the longer wheel travel that will be needed. It would be ok, but not great. And i dont really want to go through completely changing the suspension set up, I dont have the skills or the patience!

The old KE70 went down to the South Island, was a fun car and handled great but was old and slow. Theres only so much power you can get out of a 1300cc push rod. I had two main criteria when i was deciding what to build next, RWD and enough power to be able to enjoy what ever corner came my way. The corolla even with a 4age was never going to be good enough.

Im really enjoying getting stuck in but that bloody sealer brushed on over all the seams is a bitch!! Have just spent the last few hours attacking it but haven't even done half the inside yet... Ahh, fun and games haha Any one have a goos solution? I think I need a big f**k off wire wheel on a grinder.

We missed a couple of times, but we should be back next month. Drop down.

Hey this is probably sacrilege but I have always thought a Toyota Altezza 3S-GE would go well in a light BMW, it has more power than the six and is lighter.. downside would be flexibility in the rev range and that horrid Toyota sound.

:unsure::blink:

Id actually planned to build this car for gravel and agree that its bloody good fun!! but after speaking to a few people ive since realized that the rear trailing arm suspension (same as E30) isnt really the best set up for the longer wheel travel that will be needed. It would be ok, but not great. And i dont really want to go through completely changing the suspension set up, I dont have the skills or the patience!

Speaking as someone who is running E30 trailing arm suspension on gravel - it's fine.

Well that makes it look easy. I expect the car to be finished by 5pm and videos posted of it hooning down the road :P

Speaking as someone who is running E30 trailing arm suspension on gravel - it's fine.

My old datsun 1600 (similar trailing arm design to BMW) seemed to get around ok. Just the odd pine tree it found a bit hard to avoid but then I don't know if I can honestly blame that entirely on the suspension design...

Edited by e39touring

Awesome project. will be following this!

Was inspired by compacts after watching this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt8a-5tSwgo s14 /s42 power is awesome. But im biased..

....Wow... I hadnt seen this one before. Must have been an awesome feeling to be in that. A lot of trust in your codriver thats for sure.

Im not saying the rear suspension is bad and there are many point of views, Ive just been convinced to one of them.

Wont be doing mutch work on the car this weekend as im away down in the south island but am still doing a bit of research on body kits at the mo.

Does any one know how much wider Z3 arms are compared to E30??

Prob. a bit of a premium due to their low volume in NZ.

E34 offset wheels would be a cheaper alternative.

....Wow... I hadnt seen this one before. Must have been an awesome feeling to be in that. A lot of trust in your codriver thats for sure.

Im not saying the rear suspension is bad and there are many point of views, Ive just been convinced to one of them.

Wont be doing mutch work on the car this weekend as im away down in the south island but am still doing a bit of research on body kits at the mo.

1.8 Z3: same as Compact I think.

2.8 Z3: I don't think the arms are any wider. They use a wide offset drive flange and a brake disc with a really deep "hat" to match. I think they widen the rear track about 50mm per side, so they can fill the wider rear arches on the non M Z3 with the same size wheels as fitted to the front. You can fit these to the compact arms, but it just has the same effect as using wheel spacers.

MZ3: about 20mm wider per side, and they use much higher offset rear wheels to fill the arches. These arms are the ones to have, they have the bigger brakes (same as E36 M3) and use much bigger driveshafts/CV joints than the non M arms. I think the wheel bearing is larger diameter too. Hard to find though.

Edited by conrod

MZ3: about 20mm wider per side, and they use much higher offset rear wheels to fill the arches. These arms are the ones to have, they have the bigger brakes (same as E36 M3) and use much bigger driveshafts/CV joints than the non M arms. I think the wheel bearing is larger diameter too. Hard to find though.

I think you have got that backwards.

The M Coupe is ~18mm narrower on each side (than the compact) and the M Roadstar wheels are very low offset (rear: 17x9" et8). Easy to check by comparing the rotor height of the E36 M3 rear rotors Vs the Compact.

Correct that they do use the same, larger bearings/CV's/axles & brakes from the rear of the E36 M3.

And that the Z3 drive flanges will fit the compact trailing arms/bearings.

I think you have got that backwards.

The M Coupe is ~18mm narrower on each side (than the compact) and the M Roadstar wheels are very low offset (rear: 17x9" et8). Easy to check by comparing the rotor height of the E36 M3 rear rotors Vs the Compact.

Correct that they do use the same, larger bearings/CV's/axles & brakes from the rear of the E36 M3.

And that the Z3 drive flanges will fit the compact trailing arms/bearings.

Thinking about it, I was comparing to E30 arms, I didn't realise the compact had a wider track. The MZ3 also has different brake caliper mountings that will take the big M3 calipers. :)

Edited by conrod