Sign in to follow this  
master garion

"Tail Light Failure" message on OBC

Just got my car back from the panelbeaters today after some minor work. They replaced the right side damaged tail light as part of the repair. Noticed that the message "Tail Light Failure" is showing on the OBC display but the lights are working normally. I can only take it back after the long weekend obviously but just wondering if there's an easy fix? Cheers

Some aftermarket lights need one of the tracks to be broken if the car has check control. Read that somewhere, might be a good place to start.

Some aftermarket lights need one of the tracks to be broken if the car has check control. Read that somewhere, might be a good place to start.

they're not aftermarket to my knowledge. i'm assuming the panelbeater sourced a used genuine one. they probably used one that had different pins to the original. anyways, taking the car back on tuesday.

I had the same issue with my old e36, at first I had some aftermarket depo clear tails which had a wiring connecting 2 tracks together (Didn't get the Tail Light Failure Warning). After they started leaking I got some off Brent which were Genuine BMW clear tails I immediately got the warning light. Was later told that apparently ones for a 318is won't work properly for a 320i as they have different pin configurations but work fine. After that i just gave up. was happy as long as they worked

I had the same issue with my old e36, at first I had some aftermarket depo clear tails which had a wiring connecting 2 tracks together (Didn't get the Tail Light Failure Warning). After they started leaking I got some off Brent which were Genuine BMW clear tails I immediately got the warning light. Was later told that apparently ones for a 318is won't work properly for a 320i as they have different pin configurations but work fine. After that i just gave up. was happy as long as they worked

So you just put up with the message on the OBC?

Yea, although it annoyed me I just couldn't remember where the wire on my previous lights went, shorted a few fuses trying to figure it out so in the end I just left it.

first step is to clean the contacts on the bulbs and the lights,if that doesnt work then get a new PAIR of bulbs of the correct wattage as per the manual

^This, especially if it's a tail light sourced from a wreckers that's been sitting on a shelf for a while Make sure there is no corrosion on any contacts, lightly sand all the contacts, bit of CRC to clean them up and try again. Also make sure the bulbs seat properly on the contacts too as that can cause the OBC error to show up.

^This, especially if it's a tail light sourced from a wreckers that's been sitting on a shelf for a while Make sure there is no corrosion on any contacts, lightly sand all the contacts, bit of CRC to clean them up and try again. Also make sure the bulbs seat properly on the contacts too as that can cause the OBC error to show up.

^ what he said

on another note, if it was an insurance job i would have expected the panel shop to get a brand new part from BMW.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm just gonna take it back to the panelbeater and have them sort it out at the insurer's expense. I'll see if I can get insurance to fork out on a new tail light.

Edited by master garion

^ what he said

on another note, if it was an insurance job i would have expected the panel shop to get a brand new part from BMW.

most every repairer will use used parts,and there is nothing wrong with that as long as the part is in very good condition

more likely it is the wrong light,

take the back covers off both in the boot and spot the difference