Sign in to follow this  
dougsbmw

e46 compact rear wiper switch problem

Hi Guys,

I have a 318ti e46, 2001 which i recently bought. The rear window wiper motor was replaced about 6 months ago by a dealer with a genuine part. The problem started when i wanted to use the washer part. I saw that the bottle was empy, I filled it and then when i pressed the arm for rear wiper water, it leaked out it the boot area so that is problem no.1, it is obviously the pipe has come out or the seals shot or a blocakge or both.

But since then, it would not swtich off wiping and the washer pumping, even with ignition off, the fuse was removed to stop. Now I have made some enquiries and been told it may the switch on the steering column which is new about $300. I suspect though, it was not be the switch but maybe the water that has leaked caused the power feed wires of the motor to be conducting permanent power to the motor, maybe the reason it would not switch off. Since then, it has probably dreid out and today I will try to put the fuse back and see if all works.

Could the switch have burnt out to make it a permanent power feed to the wiper, if so, anyone have a price for one?

My question, any thoughts or suggestions on this ???

Edited by doug mt