Sign in to follow this  
BM WORLD

E36 328i supercharger install

just spent the last few days working on my 96 328i coupe .

had this super charger kicking around for a while that i removed from a 96 e39 528i

had a couple of oil leaks etc that needed to be sorted , rocker cover , oil filter housing and some small O-rings on the oil filter housing and dipstick tube .

so i thought while i was pulling everthing apart i might as well install a m50 manifold and this super charger setup.

pics attached , will do a better write up when i have some time.

Posted Image

manifold off and oil filter housing off.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

shows the m50 icv set up

Posted Image

shows the m50 manifold air temp and vac hose location

Posted Image

shows the m52 manifold and where the temp ,pcv and icv units fit in

Posted Image

showing the 2 types of air temp sensors , i just threaded teh m52 sensor in the m50 manifold with a little sealant

Posted Image

some headers that i got off wayney a while back

Posted Image

shows the fan spacer on the front of the water pump and i had to use a smaller 318i type fan and viscous

but i might change that for a e28 m30 type fan blade to offset the fan further back

Posted Image

fairly tight trying to get all the hoses to go places , had to move the horns , modify the headlight adjustor etc

bumper fitted back on with no problems , but i might try and get some strong flexi pipe and a smaller barrol type filter ,just to make it easier and less joins etc

Posted Image

Posted Image

a high proformance air filter just incase you dont know what it is :huh:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i
  • Like 2

managed to put the afm the wrong way around they dont run to well like that <_<

Posted Image

Posted Image

semi sorted , get the belts to line up etc

Posted Image

i just used the M50 throttle body with the M50 manifold not sure why people bother trying to fit the m52 to the m50 manifold with adaptors etc

Posted Image

engine bay after water blasting it

Posted Image

Posted Image

leaking O-ring at the bottom of the dipstick

Posted Image

soem more leaking O-rings that are mounted to the side of teh oil filter housing unit with metal cap and C-clip holding them in

Posted Image

Posted Image

showing the difference in port sizes between the 2 manifolds

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

finished install

Posted Image

• Like 1

Are they m3 headers?

Where does the boosted air go when you shut the throttle? does the charger have a bypass built in?

What are you doing for crank case ventilation?

Should be an awesome car. Will be watching how this gets on

Mmm centrifugal fun. How many pounds will it run to?

i think around 5.5 pounds havn't measured it yet

Are they m3 headers? came from whayne

Where does the boosted air go when you shut the throttle? does the charger have a bypass built in?

no just keeps presureising ,but i havn't found it a problem yet , can always push in the clutch if i need to slow down quicker

What are you doing for crank case ventilation?

i have run a pipe back into the intake side of the charger after the afm

could have used a modifed pcv set up that the kit came with but because i used a m50 manifold it would have been a hassle to hook that up and mount it somewhere as well and they are not really needed.

Should be an awesome car. Will be watching how this gets on

seams to work ok , gradual build up of power , not much at low rpm but then rockets off (big sucky sound)

Thank goodness you didn't list it for sale, I don't think I would have been able to resist it lol

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Thank goodness you didn't list it for sale, I don't think I would have been able to resist it lol

yea that e34 525ix Touring that you sold to my mate could have done with a super charger to help it get along better

Tuesday evening (3rd) and all of this was in a heap of stuff on a table, along with a bright idea. Cripes, Brent! Fast work!! Well done! Will be keeping an eye on this thread! :)

Tuesday evening (3rd) and all of this was in a heap of stuff on a table, along with a bright idea. Cripes, Brent! Fast work!! Well done! Will be keeping an eye on this thread! :)

yea took about 3 days , but could have done it in a day if i had all the parts there and didn't go off for latte's every hour :D

Only issues I can see (other than the AFM & Latte's) is that is should have been put in the wagon not the coupe.

went over to gavin at Hi-velocity today to do a dyno run just to check where its at and see if the fueling is ok etc

not to bad a result for 4pounds boost.

153rwkw and 330Nm .

before and after graphs shown

running a little lean when its under 4000rpm etc

then when boost comes on goes a little rich (but safe)

works out about 270hp at the flywheel .

would need to do a remap or muck around with a different fuel pressure regulators to get it better.

and maybe gear up the super charger :rolleyes:

post-279-1306898451.jpg

post-279-1306898517.jpg

Thats strong Brent. 6-7 lb boost would be good. Must drive nice?

40 odd kw atw is a nice gain on 4psi. Would love to run boost through my s50

hay so is this bad boy safe with no tuning i have i similer setup for my 2.5 but been to chicken to use it have u melted any pistons yet

hay so is this bad boy safe with no tuning i have i similer setup for my 2.5 but been to chicken to use it have u melted any pistons yet

all seams ok , but i ran it on the dyno to check it was safe enough.

its pretty easy to remap the 325i ecu etc to suit the super charger setup

hey man just a few questions and looking at some options here for example im unsure based on your pictures i have a m52 are you using a m50 manifold or which is best, and in terms of electronics what did you use. Also did the headers you use come from a m3 and is this a significant importance in supercharging looking at doing something similar to my young m52b25 and maybe in future a s50b30 i just need to understand the hidden parts in this install i understand the process and the basics but im unsure as to the electrics if you used a aftermarket system or a piggy back or as simple as a factory remap and fuel supply i have a very big Bosch fuel pump that would more then put out but are new or bigger injectors needed im not looking to over boost this engine like your setup i want small boost pressure please help cheers jayden

hey man just a few questions and looking at some options here for example im unsure based on your pictures i have a m52 are you using a m50 manifold or which is best, and in terms of electronics what did you use. Also did the headers you use come from a m3 and is this a significant importance in supercharging looking at doing something similar to my young m52b25 and maybe in future a s50b30 i just need to understand the hidden parts in this install i understand the process and the basics but im unsure as to the electrics if you used a aftermarket system or a piggy back or as simple as a factory remap and fuel supply i have a very big Bosch fuel pump that would more then put out but are new or bigger injectors needed im not looking to over boost this engine like your setup i want small boost pressure please help cheers jayden

hi

yes its 328i m52b28 engine , fitted a m50b25 manifold , using all the m52 sensors and electrics etc.

variable fuel pressure reg to help with fueling .

would work better with aecu remap but have not done that yet.

headers are from a wayney on teh forum here.

if you are using a m50b25 it would be easier to remap the bosch ecu that they use than the seimeins type teh 328i use.

talk to gavin at hi-velocity , i think std injectors and fuel pump will do unless you go for big boost.

this set up is only 4 pounds boost .

but most of the kits you buy run 7-8pounds boost , and come with a chip and bigger injectors etc

hi

yes its 328i m52b28 engine , fitted a m50b25 manifold , using all the m52 sensors and electrics etc.

variable fuel pressure reg to help with fueling .

would work better with aecu remap but have not done that yet.

headers are from a wayney on teh forum here.

if you are using a m50b25 it would be easier to remap the bosch ecu that they use than the seimeins type teh 328i use.

talk to gavin at hi-velocity , i think std injectors and fuel pump will do unless you go for big boost.

this set up is only 4 pounds boost .

but most of the kits you buy run 7-8pounds boost , and come with a chip and bigger injectors etc

so if im looking a simple toyota supercharger and bolting it to my 2.5 engine im hopefully not looking at a huge cost. i like the setup your running why did you use the electronics from the m52 intake, if i use a m50 manifold and replace all sensors as a straight swap from my m52 . Also is the ecu easy to remap. where abouts are you in nz i would love to have a look as im seriously looking in to doing this. and how did you go about mounting the charger did you have to move the oil filter or alternator the mount i see you used was this custom fabricated

i appreciate your help im pretty much in the dark here i havnt seen any simlar setups around so tips are hard to come by cheers jayden

so if im looking a simple toyota supercharger and bolting it to my 2.5 engine im hopefully not looking at a huge cost. i like the setup your running why did you use the electronics from the m52 intake, if i use a m50 manifold and replace all sensors as a straight swap from my m52 . Also is the ecu easy to remap. where abouts are you in nz i would love to have a look as im seriously looking in to doing this. and how did you go about mounting the charger did you have to move the oil filter or alternator the mount i see you used was this custom fabricated

i appreciate your help im pretty much in the dark here i havnt seen any simlar setups around so tips are hard to come by cheers jayden

i used the m52 stuff beacuse thats whats in the car , if i changed it to a m50 vanos stuff i would need to change the engine loom , ecu , afm , cam and crank sensors , disconnect the ews sercity chip key set up etc etc .

charger came with the mounting plate bolts up to the alternator mounting bolts

check all the photos for details.

seimens m52 ecu is a pain to remap(postage stamped chip) , earlier bosch (plug in chip)set up is easier to remap.

oil filter and alt is in std place.

in papakura

Guest MP0wer

Sorry to resurrect your topic from the dead. I have come up with a simple supercharger setup that I will be installing soon, work begins tomorrow.and may need some information. Let me throw a ton of questions your way. Do you still have your car, was it running too lean or rich? Did you feel like it needed a tune? How do you find it now after 3 years, is the car still reliable or have you had any major break downs? What was the final gain if you had done the tune?

Ever tried running an intercooler? I will be running around 4.5 PSI and haven't thought about using one(yet), I have a waste gate on my blowers exhaust(to engine intake).

ah..damn thing wont let me upload...

IkdWUKD.jpg

MZRhip7.jpg

2u3w1Ia.jpg

hi

yes my car is still going upto 155k's now so done about 40,000km with the charger .

no issues

still needs a proper tune though

still get good economy etc

almost makes as much power as a 3l m3 but pulls much stronger from 3000rpm than a NA engine does

whats the charger off , a 2L type one wont push enough air and may just make lots of heat if you crank it up

Guest MP0wer

Hi, Its a primitive charger from a Supra, Pushes a around the same amount of air as eaton m62 (1400cc).

I dont think I have seen a wastegate in your setup? When the throttle closes when you take your foot off gas, then you have compressed air no where to go. Have you thought about adding an Intercooler as improvement or would it only add lag & slow things down?

oh, and did you get it certed for adding the supercharger, how much was it? I would think getting a wof can be a hassle.

Edited by MP0wer

Looks like a bit of fun.

1G-GZE Supercharger. They used them in the 2L six Crown / Chaser / Cresta models in the late 80s

1420cc, not too bad, should flow enough air for a 2.8L.