Sign in to follow this  
E36 M

1 Series M

1 Series M has arrived in New Zealand for a sneak preview of the car, what an amazing looking car this is, and also very fast. With the BMW M Twin Turbo six cylinder in line engine putting out 340hp and a massive turbocharged torque of 500 Nm from 1,500 revs.

Output hp/kW - 340/250

Torque Nm - 450 + 50 (with overboost)

0-100km/h - 4.9

0-200km/h - 16.9

Consumption Litres per 100k - 9.6

Comments?

post-3157-1307165663.jpg

post-3157-1307165754.jpg

post-3157-1307165808.jpg

post-3157-1307165840.jpg

can you call me when your old man brings one home for a test drive :lollies:

/\/\ Colour doesn't help either...

The one at BMW is white, and the old man went for a test drive in it yesterday. Same motor as in the 335i but obviously alot lighter

so they already had the 135i so whats the difference just more boost and harder suspension??

That, decent tyres, a bit of weight saving, better cooling, and the LSD from the M3.

It'll be interesting to test drive one to compare it to the M3.

Edited by kinetik

The one at BMW is white, and the old man went for a test drive in it yesterday. Same motor as in the 335i but obviously alot lighter

Engine from Z4 35iS (not the 35i version) based on N54, but it is a production engine not a M special.

Car is actually heavier than standard 135i.

so they already had the 135i so whats the difference just more boost and harder suspension??

Arms, suspension, subframe and diff from the M3 and motor from the Z4 35iS

That, decent tyres, a bit of weight saving, better cooling, and the LSD from the M3.

It'll be interesting to test drive one to compare it to the M3.

No weight savings, heavier car than the 135i.

Hm, the original press for it claimed it was 35kg lighter than the 135i.

Axis of Oversteer weighed one with a full tank at 1519kg. From what I can find, the 135i is 1529kg.

Engine from Z4 35iS (not the 35i version) based on N54, but it is a production engine not a M special.

The one BMW have got here now actually has the engine from a Twin Turbo 335i in it.

Edited by Jedi Mind Tricks

Hi there.

I was in a demo 1m 2 weeks ago here in Singapore. Very impressed with the performance (was in the passenger seat though). Typical M power car with lots of power and handling superb. I have to say found the suspension a tad 'hard' as well. Superb sound-track.

I have driven a buddy's E92 M3 and I would say the performance is pretty similar.

All in all a pretty cool car. A bit too small for me though. I think I prefer the dimensions of the M3.

Hm, the original press for it claimed it was 35kg lighter than the 135i.

Axis of Oversteer weighed one with a full tank at 1519kg. From what I can find, the 135i is 1529kg.

Nope definitely heavier - go check BMW's website. It's about 40kg heavier.

The one BMW have got here now actually has the engine from a Twin Turbo 335i in it.

Not possible - they are all made at the same factory and with the same motor - no 335i came with the Z4 35iS motor with 340hp - the sales person doesn't know what they are talking about.

Hi there.

I was in a demo 1m 2 weeks ago here in Singapore. Very impressed with the performance (was in the passenger seat though). Typical M power car with lots of power and handling superb. I have to say found the suspension a tad 'hard' as well. Superb sound-track.

I have driven a buddy's E92 M3 and I would say the performance is pretty similar.

All in all a pretty cool car. A bit too small for me though. I think I prefer the dimensions of the M3.

You would expect it to handle like a M3 if not better, the torque and weight savings over the M3 would also mean it'd be pretty similar if not better in terms of performance.

It is suppose to be a closer spiritual successor to the E30 M3 than the E92 M3 ever was.

Pretty cool car regardless, even though it is still a bit too parts bin special for my liking, but hey it's a cheap way to bring out a 'new' product I suppose for BMW.

Hi,

I am not a fan of the flared rear guards doesn't look right. No doubt it goes real good and is easy to drive but to me there is no similarity with the all concurring E30 M3 not in body style or engine department perhaps yes in engine/chassi performance.

Dave

135i - 3373lb

1M - 3362lb

Edit: Ah, the BMW NZ website (the disaster it is), lists the 1M at 1495kg and the 135i at 1455kg.

Edit 2: And the BMW International site lists the 1M at 1570kg and the 135i at 1530kg. I'm more inclined to believe this than any of the stats sheets.

Edited by kinetik

I'm sure I saw one on the Ellerslie/Penrose offramp on Friday - white. Looked like a rollerskate with the fatty tyres. Pretty cool.

Its amazing they can get the weight so high (ditto a Golf R, for what its worth). I bet that it hides that bulk well though.

I'd have one in a second, love the massive guards and stance.

Not possible - they are all made at the same factory and with the same motor - no 335i came with the Z4 35iS motor with 340hp - the sales person doesn't know what they are talking about.

You would expect it to handle like a M3 if not better, the torque and weight savings over the M3 would also mean it'd be pretty similar if not better in terms of performance.

It is suppose to be a closer spiritual successor to the E30 M3 than the E92 M3 ever was.

Pretty cool car regardless, even though it is still a bit too parts bin special for my liking, but hey it's a cheap way to bring out a 'new' product I suppose for BMW.

What are you talking about a z4 motor for? The 335i doesnt have a z4 motor because its a twin turbo, z4 isnt a twin turbo motor, the 1 Series M has the same as the 135i and the 335i but with the motorsport engine in it wich is hotted up a bit and puts out around 350hp+.

Ok, so they have brought out a new twin turbo z4 engine? But it aint the same as in the 1M

Car is actually heavier than standard 135i.

Arms, suspension, subframe and diff from the M3 and motor from the Z4 35iS

Incorrect. It's lighter than the 135i despite the heavier LSD etc.

I've ordered one of these and it arrives in July. They share a lot of parts with existing series and M cars (hence the lower price point) but it's a) lighter than a 135i, B) more powerful than the Z4is engine, despite what it says in official BMW material. It's based on the N54 but has been reworked. LSD, suspension and breaks from the E90 M3. There is heaps of in depth analysis on the net including reputable dyno runs that put it at 340hp at the wheels. i.e. BMW has under sold it to protect M3 sales. My understanding is 8 will be coming to NZ :)

340 rwhp is pretty optimistic. I assume you're getting that from Inside Line's dyno? They rate the E9x M3 at almost 380 rwhp where other dynos report 330-350 rwhp.

Ours arrives in two weeks, i'm surprised some of you have seen it on the road, it's sopposed to be hidden until the release date???