Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

What's going to happen to the roof?

I had a few moments today when I wished I had no roof

I know what you mean it was so hot today... yes summers coming, the roof yeah that will go on after ive painted the cage.

I weighed it with me in it 83kg, before i took it in for the cage, see pic below. i think i can get another 100kg out yet :D

post-2228-1318316112.jpg

Edited by Garett

no worries just swing by on Saturday and ill weigh it... :)

I love photoshop.... here's 1 pic of many of the options for paint and graffic's for my car once its finished, some more on my facebook page. let me know what you guys think.

post-2228-1318498779.jpg

Edited by Garett

That pic looks good, the weight is super light, that fully stripped with no interior?

That pic looks good, the weight is super light, that fully stripped with no interior?

yeah there is still the doors and abs unit to do yet though ill find more to lighten would be nice to be 1100 with roll cage and me in it..

That'll be F40 weight.

How are you going about the reskining of the roof? I'm just about to take mine off the road and do the same and found a crap load of rust around the sunroof and not worth the effort of removing the rust

How are you going about the reskining of the roof? I'm just about to take mine off the road and do the same and found a crap load of rust around the sunroof and not worth the effort of removing the rust

I imagine it will be really easy... ill let ya know once i get the new one on... i found that you need to use something like a filleting knife and some oil to dip it in, so you can cut the sealant holding the roof down, be ready to loose a bit of skin doing this job lol.. :D

Yay!! My jungle gym is nearly complete, i hope to begin painting interior this weekend if all goes well... :lol:

post-2228-1319450624.jpg

Edited by Garett

post-2228-1308050661.jpg

This is the beast haha 2.5 stroker to 2.8L M20 light flywheel m50 intake and double valve spring ported head m52 exhaust manifold...etc

post-2228-1308051201.jpg

I need help :blink: does anyone know where to get a larger outer crank pulley (6pk pref) for my m50b28 to speed up my SC14 blower before i install it, maybe somebody might know if there is a larger one on a different car that will fit or can be modded to fit, any help would be much appreciated.... :unsure:

yourve been told before about what not or to do with the blower including specs but you choose not to listen so best of luck

yourve been told before about what not or to do with the blower including specs but you choose not to listen so best of luck

Yep this is why i have stuck with the standard pullys, it quite happly runs 3.5 psi on button and switch, this engine is just a play engine now with a monster Turbo one on the horision :)

But cheers ill need a bit of luck.... :P

Cage looks good. Great idea raising it up on blocks. Mine has been a bit of a fight having the main hoop go right to the floor

What are all your wires wrapped in?

What are you using for seats and mounts?

Cage looks good. Great idea raising it up on blocks. Mine has been a bit of a fight having the main hoop go right to the floor

What are all your wires wrapped in?

What are you using for seats and mounts?

its called conduit and is cheapest from autotrail.

Posted Image

Im not sure about the seats and mounts yet im still looking for a pair..

do you have pics of your project?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=29466

I need to get a few more recent photos up

Do you have any photos of how the cage is tied into the front struts? in particular the drivers side.

not yet done, but should be by friday. ill post some pics on how it all ties in.

its called conduit and is cheapest from autotrail.

Posted Image

Im not sure about the seats and mounts yet im still looking for a pair..

do you have pics of your project?

Be careful with these!!! They tend to eat electric wires over time. Especially in cars with high vibration...

Thanks Swordfish I didnt think of that, ill make sure i check them from time to time... :D

ok just a quick up date, i got my car back today, and am very pleased with the work that was done, its quite exciting having my first caged car I found myself sitting it making broom broom noises after work. I also weighed it and the whole cage weighs 50kg i was very surprised i thought it would have weighed more...

post-2228-1320043725.jpg

post-2228-1320043732.jpg

• Like 1

hahah nice vid, i want my car to do that lol. yeah it will be made for 2 people. :D

Interesting how no weight was added to the front left.

Is this going to be road legal?

We'll have to compare when our cars are running. Any chance of some more pictures of the cage

Interesting how no weight was added to the front left.

Is this going to be road legal?

We'll have to compare when our cars are running. Any chance of some more pictures of the cage

Yeah i think its due to this time i weighed it i was hanging out the window, that maybe why..??? hmm

Yes def road legal i think is they way to go, be pretty fun to go down the shop to get some milk in a race car hehe..

I have got some more pics, but on the camera and its not here..

but these ones i took with my phone of what i made today, i mounted a electric fan that now runs in reverse as a suck through fan, not sure what bmw its off it was lying around.... im stoked with the brackets they use the existing shroud holders :D

post-2228-1320575386.jpg

post-2228-1320575396.jpg

post-2228-1320575406.jpg

post-2228-1320575455.jpg

looks like e34 etc , dont know how long the brushes in the motor will last going backwards.