Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

Haha yeah it's a bit out there huh... Is a work in progress

It can raise and lower and tilt it's angle, I blew a fuse with my welder, if I could find the darn fuse I'd finish it lol

Haha yeah it's a bit out there huh... Is a work in progress

It can raise and lower and tilt it's angle, I blew a fuse with my welder, if I could find the darn fuse I'd finish it lol

The wing is way OTT if you look upon what was used for the mid 90's ST and that wing provided more than enough down force.

Unless your intent is running Superlap where wings are designed by ex aero space engineers ( note ex ) then its perfect for FB brownie points but pretty much useless there after.

Mind you i like the adjustment part on it

You guys wana see the build pics for the wing?

• Like 1

The wing is way OTT if you look upon what was used for the mid 90's ST and that wing provided more than enough down force.

Unless your intent is running Superlap where wings are designed by ex aero space engineers ( note ex ) then its perfect for FB brownie points but pretty much useless there after.

Mind you i like the adjustment part on it

Yeah not sure if I'll use it on my race car... Well maybe haha would look totally badass

It's my mock up car for ideas, they changing all the time.

Work in progress, not the final ideal but I'll get there :)

post-2228-0-50947300-1468219978_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-90196800-1468220059_thumb.jp

you can get those body kits already

Where abouts?

If you search for 'e36 fender flare guards' you'll find them. Apparently it's a thing now.

And TBH I used to hate sh*t like this but nowadays I'm starting to appreciate the time, effort and ingenuity, even if not the aesthetic.

So, I initially thought "yuck" but now I think "go for it" and am looking forward to seeing what you can engineer.

Those kits are awesome but at 6k i think I'll pass, try make something myself.

• Like 2

Those kits are awesome but at 6k i think I'll pass, try make something myself.

Fair enough too and use to do the same, till i sat down and worked the hours it took to do something and time lost when it could have happened quicker.

I try to work smarter not harder, but there's still satisfaction and doing it yourself

Awesome stuff Garett. I kind of liked the idea of the audi all road flares but the new pandem style kits are ace as well! looking forward to the next update.

You guys wana see the build pics for the wing?

Yes please hahaah

Started with a old wing core I had lying around, was determined not to spend any money on this wing and just to use what was around, got some front sway bar links off a e90 and front bumper to chassis support mounts that are usually welded to the chassis rails, also off e90 for the base of the stands, some alloy sheet I used for my floor that I had left over to build where I'm upto now, had to use some e30 handbrake cables to support the left and right sway of the wing which are also adjustable.

Still to do on the wing is getting an Audi 80 rear wing and cut down to size and place between the two stands attached to the boot and have it adjustable as well for a twin wing look. Then go through and clean up all the edges, bead blast and anodise the alloy, sand and paint the cores and make the wing blades for the side.

I toyed with all the ideas of using seat rail motors to make it adjustable from the cabin area which would have been fun but lack of time stopped this, might revisit this one day

post-2228-0-97910600-1468230954_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-57580700-1468231369_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-06574300-1468231399_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-12791100-1468231497_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-53582700-1468231545_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-90844600-1468231595_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-15696000-1468231657_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-97973800-1468231690_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-79378400-1468231711_thumb.jp

• Like 1

You know what's cool, tyre letters on race cars ??

post-2228-0-25706500-1468233301_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Felony form or fitment lab over fenders might be the way to go, will give you 50mm rear and 30mm at the front.

nice progress, I've been in touch with the guys at felony form.

I'm placing an order next month.

Edited by rich
  • Like 1

What's the costing a on that?

I had some wheels arrive today one set of 17x8.5 et35 for use in the wet and a set of 17x9.5 et35 for use in the dry turns out with this offset I don't think I'll need to run any flares now, may just space the front guards out 5mm by slotting the holes that way can run the 9.5's up front with the 265/625/17 slicks

post-2228-0-90911700-1468307221_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-37859800-1468307238_thumb.jp

post-2228-0-79225000-1468307260_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The tyre on the car now are 255/40/17 so when the slicks go on they should be lower profile and wider :)

About $700 US plus shipping. (they quoted $700 shipping cost but I can get it cheaper).

Go have a look at their web site. They have a good write up on "stance works" as well.

About $700 US plus shipping. (they quoted $700 shipping cost but I can get it cheaper).

Go have a look at their web site. They have a good write up on "stance works" as well.

That's a bit more within reach than the pandom one

You don't want a alroad kit do ya?? I could make it fit nice I reckon hehe

Na M8 wrong colour. but thanks anyway.

A couple of updates, just ordered in some 86.5 mm forged Pistons, con rods and arp studs for a s50 engine that I had tucked away in my one day I'll do something with you pile. 

Don't know if I mentioned earlier in the thread that I acquired a s50b30 engine from a e36 in which I took the gearbox, subframe, Diff, axles, brakes etc from. It had broken a valve and was bouncing around in the #6 cylinder which caused some pretty serious damage, was thinking of trying to repair it when a s50b32 cylinder head came up on trade me and I picked it up at a good price, I thought the ports on the m50b25 even with being ported were big ports it had nothing on the s50b30 and the b32 are even bigger!!

ive stripped and cleaned back the whole engine ready for the rebuild, while the engine is out the body will be getting the once over, gearbox overhaul, driveshaft and clutch upgrade as I'm not sure the factory updated clutch will be up to the job.

ive been trying to find someone in Nz who has turbo the s50 with very minimal luck, has anyone done it with forged low comp pistons here?

Edited by Garett
  • Like 1