Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

45 minutes ago, Garett said:

Egts sound like the cheapest option if they will directly work.. 

you will need an amplifier and as many analog inputs as you want thermocouples. unless the link will accept a can expander / thermocouple amplifier.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crunchy said:

Ok answer this, what are you going to do with all this data and how are you going to make use of it ?

I did a 80k twin turbo big block the other week, once tuned correctly we only monitor 02 readings per bank even then the owner has no idea what to do with the data. ( Cant hold his hand even time he uses it )

Just have it tuned right to start with using the intended fuel, there is no such thing as a "safe" tune however a tune is either right or wrong end of story.

if you think you have time to watch a bunch of gauges when pedaling this thing then your streets ahead of anyone else i know, set within the ecu the limits and setup warning alarms for main parameters then drive the thing as intended.

Monitoring EGT's per pot is a cool thing if you were after the absolute hp even then its questionable to whether its needed, plus EGT's chill off quickly once throttle is closed and slow to respond.

Like i said tune it right to start with, no Knock and dont set it on the edge, go forth enjoy it as intended. 

Just want to give the tuner every opportunity to get the full potential of the engine out by making sure the af ratios are correct in each cylinder, after that I couldn't care less if they were still on the engine...

man I wish I had a Dyno and the knowledge to use one to tune engines ? 

Lets not forget your average BMW is tuned off one 02 sensor and does hundreds of thousands of km's without a issue, regardless of your requirements its still only as good as the tuner.

I've got 2x innovate tc4 thermocouple amps. You're welcome to borrow them or can do a deal for em. 

Another option instead of the aem unit is Spartans new product. 

It is overkill but still awesome

• Like 1

Piston ring sizing ? Getting there!!! 

IMG_0649.JPG

Found out today, I got the deck height wrong when ordering my pistons.. so was going to be 9:1 but is going to end up being 9.6:1 I guess it's just going to have a bit more response down low

From memory the engine has got 875cc injectors, and runnining e85 means it's going to have to flow more fuel, thinking the injectors might be boarderline to small... its sorter in the same boat as the turbo so I reckon one of them will will limit the power and I'm not going any bigger.... that or knocking on the dyno at high psi boost.

Some good news, because I have a wideband o2 sensor in the down pipe set up in the ecu already means when I put the car on the dyno all I need to do is put 6 sensor ports in each of the exhaust pipes between the head and the turbo then the tuner can use there dyno lamba sensor to move from each port as they tune each cylinder and still moniter the final a/f ratio at the down pipe this means less expense and I'm happy with that! :D

i run over 11/1 on turbo eth setups, 9:5/1 is fine and will be also if you run pump 98 so dont stress

875 is way to small for eth try ID2000 they will also run fine on pump

Edited by crunchy
  • Like 1

What sort of power can be expected to be made with 875cc injectors on e85, I understand it's somewhat 30-40% less than 98 octane and the injector will make around the same in hp as the cc rating in a 6 cylinder on 98. So saying that around the 550hp mark?? 

Edited by Garett

I'm picking up my engine block tomorrow, pretty excited!! :D there's still sh*t loads to do before swapping it into my race car I call it a race car but my friends call it just a car as you got a race it to be able to call it a race car and at the moment it's just an expensive space taker upperer, mind you it still goes and goes bloody well...

My old engine I'll sell if anyone wants to buy early mid next year let me know, hasnt been thrashed.... much. May even do the the bearings, a hone and some piston rings on it if requested then it would be a great motor for someone. 2.8l M50

IMG_0345.PNG

Edited by Garett

super stoked!!

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

Edited by Garett

Cant say i like the bottom end theres no form of craddle, thus i made one and i see you didnt change the main bolts?

#1 rule is the top is as only as good as the bottom.

On 11/19/2016 at 4:43 PM, crunchy said:

Cant say i like the bottom end theres no form of craddle, thus i made one and i see you didnt change the main bolts?

#1 rule is the top is as only as good as the bottom.

You wanna make me one?? My pockets only so deep! 

Yeah I completely forgot about the mains when ordering parts but I'm sure there up to the task, however have placed a order in for arp main bolts today :) , how many of these motors has anyone seen fail from bottom end issues anyway? I haven't heard of any?

Edited by Garett

Seems tad silly doing all this and leave the bottom end including bolts, but hey your build.

As for failures, there was a Z3/4 running one in open bmw N/A that broke the bottom end many times including snapping Carillo rods.

Your call

Here's a question for someone... is there any oil pump up grades that someone knows about for the s50b30, I was reading somewhere the early 90's pump were smaller than the late 90's ???

Check out

sump baffle kit

Edited by sweetm3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Garett said:

Here's a question for someone... is there any oil pump up grades that someone knows about for the s50b30, I was reading somewhere the early 90's pump were smaller than the late 90's ???

Yep make your own, but now im showing off ;)

56 minutes ago, sweetm3 said:

Check out

sump baffle kit

My sump comes factory with baffles in it, is there a more additional baffles that need to be added... I'll take some pics soon 

Looks like this...

IMG_0349.JPG

1 hour ago, crunchy said:

Yep make your own, but now im showing off ;)

You've changed...

Whats this all about? Is the late model m50 pumps better as they maybe pump more oil?

IMG_0350.JPG

Edited by Garett

23 minutes ago, Garett said:

You've changed...

Nope, im still a "A" hole with a low tolerance to idiots, so just the same old me :) 

You have baby baffles, this is what you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M3-3-0-S50-ENGINE-GROUP-N-RACING-SUMP-PAN-GENUINE-BMW-/322336807879

But of course just get aftermarket baffles and weld them in to your existing sump.

And B32 pump has dual pickups, you need that too.

• Like 1