Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

16 minutes ago, M3AN said:

You have baby baffles, this is what you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E36-M3-3-0-S50-ENGINE-GROUP-N-RACING-SUMP-PAN-GENUINE-BMW-/322336807879

But of course just get aftermarket baffles and weld them in to your existing sump.

And B32 pump has dual pickups, you need that too.

Hell yeah that's what I need!! I might put my welder to the test... a b32 pump requires a b32 sump ?

I can get the pump but not the sump....

Edited by Garett

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I think that eBay sump is dual pickup... but $$$... :blink:

https://www.eeuroparts.com/blog/5615/diy-motorsports-oil-system-upgrade-e36-bmws/

I was just reading another forum with someone who installed the s54 duel pickup and pump on his s52 aka m52 lol in our land.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1175553-S54-Oil-Pan-amp-Pump-Upgrade-for-the-S52-here-s-what-I-learned

Edited by Garett

All the pumps have a major weak point, the shaft.

I made mine from billet with a new drive system no spline 

Just now, crunchy said:

All the pumps have a major weak point, the shaft.

I made mine from billet with a new drive system no spline 

Like this??? http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=833891&highlight=

Sort of but you have to harden the shaft or extreme wear i also did one where i double stacked the gears 

Starting puting the head back together today after I lowered and fitted some bbs to Hayleys ride

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0673.JPG

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0666.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

• Like 2

Doing more head work today

IMG_0679.JPG

IMG_0680.JPG

• Like 1

Hey Garett, Got an update for us all? Have you done anymore work on the engine? 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2017 at 9:05 AM, BatMansWilly said:

Hey Garett, Got an update for us all? Have you done anymore work on the engine? 

Yeah not so much, all the parts have arrived to complete the build but I'm somehow lost a few little items to install the timing guides, everything was bagged and tagged but a couple of little bushes and c clips so I'm waiting for them to come in that have gone back order dam it.. 

in the mean time got myself a shitter of a boat in need of repair to keep me busy, got it all planned out it will be epic

dont worry I hope to have some good updates soon...  

So finally the parts arrived to finish the timing chains, I installed new oil squirters then proceeded to install the timing chains, when I removed all the guides from the old engine stripping it down I could have swore the guides were alloy with plastic coatings, turns out they are all rubber and just gone very hard and turned to plastic along with the two bushes holding the plastic guide on the right of pic two...

Moving along, the head gasket rings sat pretty close to the bore in places i had to file some of the gasket off at the locators on top of the block to get it to sit just right as the pistons come just above deck and didnt want any interference.

I still can't get over how big the ports are on these heads, it's making me think about the exhaust mani that I've got, I'm going to have to do some serious die grinding to match ports

Cylinder head torqued 35nm 70nm then 105nm 

Rolled the engine over then went to look at the oil pump then remembered that the pump I is probably in a bad way, I pulled it apart and found very bad scoring and pitting all through it, so went though our stock and found a m52 pump that had a pump wheel, I  then found to mount it I had to slot the rear bolt hole about 4mm inwards, also swapped the spring and sleeve from the m3 pump into the m52 so the insides remain the same sort of, I swapped the sprockets over and tig welded the nut to the sprocket and to the shaft, job done

On the top part of the cylinder head applyed some lock tight red sealant replacing the o-rings in between then proceeded to install the cams then I remembered someone saying I have to run a cam trigger wheel on one cam and didn't get any trigger wheels from vac motorsports, they are really expensive so figured I try make one, as there is a 2mm spacer with spline that goes on the end of the cam shafts between the sprocket plates I figure that seens as there is 2mm I can reduce the spacer to 1mm and then cut one of the trigger wheels 1mm from the mating face then I get my 2mm and everything will line up apart from my cam sensor, the trigger will sit 1mm closer inwards to the head as it used to sit after the spacer, I may be able to space out the sensor with a washer time will tell.

Last photo I just sat the covers on, sh*t these engines are cool ?

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0939.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

IMG_0943.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

• Like 4

Have those intake ports been ported and polished or are they stock?

• Like 1

Bunch of work & money thats all it takes :)

I use to do this with my customers then found a cheaper motor that makes a bunch more power with little work its called a

2J !

Still pretty sure yours will go well look forward to see how long the drive line lives lol

Always fun breaking stuff cause if your not, you need to try harder :)

Post some vids when done mate looking forward to the end result should be epic !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zero said:

Have those intake ports been ported and polished or are they stock?

Stock ports I believe 

So today I worked ou how the trigger wheels will work and pretty confident it will.

I have a question, where can I get a oil cooler thermostat for my filter housing??? 

Does anyone have any group n oil restricters for s50 engines??

IMG_0956.JPG

IMG_0957.JPG

IMG_0407.PNG

IMG_0408.PNG

1 hour ago, richard said:

is that a Vanos delete

Yes they are at an engineering shop now, if someone wants some let me know soon...

1 hour ago, Garett said:

Yes they are at an engineering shop now, if someone wants some let me know soon...

Pending price I'm keen! ?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Michael. said:

What motor is that, S50B3X?

S50B30 with a complete B32 head :)

• Like 1

Ordered oil restrictor, should be here end of this week and all going well my triggers will be done, in the mean time I'm going to match my intake ports as the B32 head has 1mm bigger ports than the B30 head so there is a slight step up coming out of the itb's which I will die grind the spacers in between the two do this.

3 hours ago, richard said:

how much

I'll find out what it will cost and let everyone know 

Ok so vanos delete kits are $395inc gst nzd that's a pair, intake and exhaust, they have built in trigger wheels....

The picture attached is before the final product and the fit perfectly they are made from 4140 steel

I'll put togeather the kit and post pics of what you will get and details of steel etc when it's all complete

IMG_0989.JPG

Edited by Garett
Price Change

So the the vanos delete wheels with factory triggers are complete, got a revised price for the pair - $395inc gst 

Working on making the blanking plate for the front and will let everyone know what that will cost

Overall they products are going to be better quality that vac motorsports and be alot cheaper too...

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Photo 20-04-17, 8 42 21 PM.png

Photo 20-04-17, 8 42 29 PM.png

Photo_20-04-17,_8_42_39_PM.png

Edited by Garett
More photos added
  • Like 1