Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

The other day I spend shiming the motor and think I only have to order about 10 or 11 shims as can reuse the rest to get it all within spec, the tool I borrowed from BMW made it really easy..

so 2weeks and will be ready for the old engine to com out and the new one to get fitted with all the bolt ons

Will be running an oil cooler this time, a hydraulic handbrake and an accusump set up

the body is almost ready, got it back from the panel shop not that long ago, with some new bumpers and removal of the tinted window it will be off to the paint shop, I wana bring it back to the original look it had when I first finished it instead of listening to other people saying you need to do this and that, make it louder... put a wing on it, make it a v8... you all can get fuct haha this is my project go get your own. Rant over. ?

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1004.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_0410.PNG

IMG_0411.PNG

Edited by Garett
Spellcheck
  • Like 1

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the benefit of a vanos delete?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is the benefit of a vanos delete?

Not a dumb question at all... everyone will ask this, and many different answers, I believe  it's easier for the tuner which means it's going to cost me less, also when track racing a car it's mostly always up in the rev range and reducing the margin for era of having something go wrong and ruin your day, nothing worse than going to a track day and finding out after a couple of laps you have to go home because something faulted... like when I went to a drift day with heaps of new tyres and found them delaminating all tread off, 4 tyres in i was like f**k it I'm going home and sending the rest back. 

No doubt there are a lot of benifits of keeping vanos like more power down low for one but I don't think I need it and just another thing to go wrong.

Its a big engine plus hair dryer, Vanos is a pain in the butt and as has been outlined its a race car not 10km/hr car sitting in Aucklands peak hour traffic.

Less to go wrong, as for lose of torque?

Pretty dam sure the turbo will make up for that, keep up the good work Garett. 

• Like 1

Ive taken time off work this week actually the whole week,  I thought I might try get this engine in, most of it is coming together okay it's just the intake runners they have been cut and missing the bolt on flange part so no way to secure them, thinking I will go past mico metals and pick up some tube and flat and give it ago and also try make an intake boot. I've found a e60 starter motor which is nice and light so going to install that as it has the same connections and should fit the flywheel as I'm not running the m20 wheel anymore.

ive found the pinout diagrams for the m50 and the s50 here.. http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1994 BMW 318i-s-c - 320i - 325i-s-c Electrical Troubleshooting Manual.pdf

Which will make it easier to swap over the link g4

im going to get it running off the standard computer first to make sure it is all good

Heres a few pictures of what I've been up to the last couple of days, tomorrow morning the m50 engines coming out and test fitting the s50, I know I'm going to have to modify something on the exhaust manifold and other things I just hope it's not going to be a major otherwise It might just be cheaper to get another one made lol

• Like 1

You forgot the pics in the last post:P

Yeah It was late and they didn't sync to my iPad off my phone.

Ive almost finished shimming the cams, every intake and exhaust are exactly the same .22 intake and .33 exhaust 

IMG_1455.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1448.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1461.JPG

IMG_1462.JPG

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_0470.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0477.PNG

• Like 2

Today was a battle, but winning now, bring on tomorrow!!! 

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1493.JPG

IMG_1494.JPG

IMG_1495.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

• Like 2

Looking good, I have wiring diagrams also for m50 and s50. Send me your email and will send it over 

Wow, those old mounts were munted lol.

nice

whats the hammer4

are you running a oil pressure gauge and where are you mounting it. (best place).

On 7/28/2017 at 9:03 AM, HaNs said:

Looking good, I have wiring diagrams also for m50 and s50. Send me your email and will send it over 

All good bud I got em printed already ;)

On 7/28/2017 at 2:02 PM, zero said:

Wow, those old mounts were munted lol.

They were new when they went in and didn't last very long only about 13 track days, mind you I hit a few ripple strips and ran over a truck tyre  that threw me in the air lol ? 

Edited by Garett
  • Like 1

On 7/28/2017 at 5:51 PM, richard said:

nice

whats the hammer4

Ha yeah that was for tapping the exhaust when fitting the clamps

On 7/28/2017 at 5:54 PM, richard said:

are you running a oil pressure gauge and where are you mounting it. (best place).

Yep, it sits just above the shifter next to the boost and wideband gauges

Hurry up mate want to see some skid vids

• Like 2

Rocker cover bolt seals, changing them was a bitch... broke two then realised you need to put them in boiling water before you event attempt to slide them on to the bolt. 

I found when going to put the rocker cover on two bolts missing.. the two long m7 bolts at the front, priced them from the dealer at 40+gst each so went everywhere to try find some, no place does m7 bolts btw... so tapped the holes to m8 and helicoiled to m6 bolts... worked a treat and only cost 10 bucks.

So I turned the engine over to get oil pressure then carried out a compression test before I started it, all around the 125psi mark.

Started the engine using the standard s50 engine computer and sh*t it started! Must have done something right... but was running on 5 cylinders, after battling testing this and that I figured it was probably the engine computer as everything tested good

so I stripped out the good things from the old engines computer and re soldered everything in, the s50 and m50tu share most of the pin locations, only differences were the injectors and ignition layout, and what had me stomped was the crank sensor pins were different the black and yellow needed to be swapped around.

tried starting it again, and set the crankshaft deg to 282 it started but running very rich and still #6 not firing, so went back to basics, check the spark, the link computer has test functions, in short spark plug was faulty and not sparking, swamped it with another and tried again, still rich at 10afr I brought the fuel setting down to 4ms from 6 and ran very good at 13afr, very responcive and my god it sounds good using the tune from the m50 engine... ?

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1524.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

IMG_1527.JPG

IMG_1528.JPG

IMG_1529.JPG

IMG_1530.JPG

IMG_1531.JPG

IMG_1538.JPG

Edited by Garett

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Garett said:

Yep, it sits just above the shifter next to the boost and wideband gauges

my bad, I should have said  "connect" not mount, to the engine. As I can't fine a suitable spot.

And don't ya love the way a freshly built engine smokes and smell on first startup

• Like 1

On 7/31/2017 at 2:36 PM, richard said:

my bad, I should have said  "connect" not mount, to the engine. As I can't fine a suitable spot.

I'm running an aftermarket oil pressure sensor in the place of the factory and using it for the gauge and the ECU

Thread size is 12x1.5mm same as your wheel bolts :)

Edited by Garett

Like this pic... lol

IMG_1550.JPG

• Like 3

innovative if anything, 

• Like 1