Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

So today I deloomed all the not needed items with help from my mate jake, couldn't have done it so tidy without his help, still a bit of pin swapping then it's all going back together for the next step which is making the intake manifold fit nice..

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

Little update, mounted my oil accumulater and removed my floor trim to run the hose underneath to feed it, while there I'm going to change all the plastic mounting clips to riv nuts and bolts to stop debris coming through around where the plastic wouldn't seal correctly

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

• Like 2

Update: Rivnut gun arrived, but rivnuts did not so that's a just for another day

After work today we finished off the wiring on the engine, I then proceeded to install the ecu in the holder and refit everything surrounding it, stood back and thought it looks good and glad that part is now done as it was very tricky to install, proceeded to tidy up and there it was... the fricken ECU plug seal... OMG, FML that's a job for another day lol

Also cut the rocker cover cover to fit around the down pipe, it was either that or make another pipe and that wasn't going to happen, fits good

With the vanos delete and triggers I got made they are an exact replica of the s50b32, they have the TDC trigger on the exhaust side and intake is variable, I had the intake sensor set to the ecu and it would jump up 2000rpm and back down, so ran it off the crank sensor first and the starting every time was terrible with backfires and a few flames out the intake then would run nice, I got hold of Adam at link ECU on their forums to find out if they had a pattern for the engines camshaft triggers and he was very helpful, told me to run the exhaust sensor and select S52 in the ecu and it will run nice, so I did and it's perfect! So now I'm running my old map with new trigger set up, an adjustment of the idle control valve and I'm pretty happy

And seems as the exhaust sensor is going to be pretty important I went for a wonder and found some soft heat shielding from a turbo golf and modified it to fit around the side of the engine protecting it from direct heat, it turned out nice.. passed the flame test

Then put on one of the slick wheels just for shits and the 265s look wide :D

IMG_1566.JPG

IMG_1568.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1586.JPG

Edited by Garett
  • Like 2

Hey if anyone has some big brake upgrade kit that would fit my car I'd be interested, just send me a message.

Looking the business bro. Will have to come out and have a look next time im up :) bring the v8 out haha

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Garett said:

Hey if anyone has some big brake upgrade kit that would fit my car I'd be interested, just send me a message.

I don't have a BBK but am thinking of getting a set of MRP NZ Wilwood fronts, if others were interested I believe a discount might be available.

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

I don't have a BBK but am thinking of getting a set of MRP NZ Wilwood fronts, if others were interested I believe a discount might be available.

http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/bmw-e30-280mm-4-piston/

this kit? 

Do they do them for e36 m3?

8 minutes ago, Garett said:

http://www.mrpltd.co.nz/product/bmw-e30-280mm-4-piston/

this kit? 

Do they do them for e36 m3?

Something similar, yes. I've had a conversation with them (they're real racers) and yes, they'll do any E36/M3 kit in pretty much any size I wish... :thumbsup:

Pricing might be a bit out of date, this was from a little while ago...

Hey David

The 330mm kit superlite 4 piston starts at $1300+ gst if your in Nz.

That's with plain face discs.
If you wanted the Znoelli slotted and dimple drilled discs it's an extra $220+gst.
And then if you wanted 6 piston it's an extra $470+gst.

My pricing is based off the forged superlite calipers. Nearly all wilwood calipers are forged. Billet calipers you don't see much of these days as the forged ones are stronger and cheaper. Wilwood actually only have 1 caliper that's billet and that's the older superlite. All the newer stuff is forged.

Floating 2 piece rotors are quite $.
We use nashin true 2 piece floating rotors with h type bobbin. This adds to the price +$960+gst.
So basic price $1300 then +960 +gst.

Fixed 2 piece is a bit cheaper at around +$700.

Kits are made to order and if you buy 2 we can def do you a better deal. Depends on which options you want to add to the kit will depend what discount I can give you but will vary from $100-200 off total price.

Edited by M3AN

Little update, used my new rivnut gun at 100psi pulled the trigger and pow... tore the thread right out of it lol, so turns out a m6 threaded alloy rivnut takes 30psi to not pull a thread and to crush just right..

Had the hose guy come and make me a sweet hose for the accusump, just got a wire in to the ign and toggle switch.

I can't wait till everything is done so I can clean the sh*t out of it and bring it back to the look I started with.

IMG_1608.JPG

IMG_1605.JPG

IMG_1609.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

IMG_1610.JPG

Edited by Garett

That is a sweet looking hose, Simple but nicely executed. Custom hoses rock.

• Like 1

So done a bit of digging around work today an found some stoptech 4pot fronts with 355x32 discs and adapters for E70 x5, only issue is I can't have disc bigger than 328mm because of running 17"wheels.  Adapters for them is the easy part

https://www.zeckhausen.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_365&products_id=3471

IMG_1616.JPG

Edited by Garett

Ah might work with the 355mm disc

IMG_1617.JPG

• Like 1

Spent a couple of hours today installing the intercooler and pipe work, picked up some spray nozzles from Bunnings for the Ic sprayer, not sure if I'm going to run one yet though.

also booked some time off next week so should be some more updates as I get it ready to dyno 

IMG_1611.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

Had intercooler sprayers in my Evos. Good for when you're sitting at the lights and your charge heat is increasing rapidly, useless everywhere else.

FWIW.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:47 PM, M3AN said:

Had intercooler sprayers in my Evos. Good for when you're sitting at the lights and your charge heat is increasing rapidly, useless everywhere else.

FWIW.

Yeah don't think you can use them on the track either, so that may be another job for when I run out of things to do.

I struggled with putting the ECU in the hole due to the coolant resivor being in the way and found that with the intake on I'd have no room for charge pipe to enter the manifold, so I found one on an Audi A5 that was perfect to my needs tall and skinny and gave me the extra space to put ECU in with ease and space for pipe.

Mounted the bumper and lowered the car on the ground, removed the tinted windows seen as I had done a lot of detail on the inside and hiding it with tints makes it look like every other e36 from the outside.

IMG_1618.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1622.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1624.JPG

• Like 1

Where are you getting pressure release from with that reservoir? Doesn't look like that cap blows does it? Fits well though.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Where are you getting pressure release from with that reservoir? Doesn't look like that cap blows does it? Fits well though.

Thats a very good question.... just checked and my hoses are a little bit sucked in.... hmm what can be done?

10 minutes ago, Garett said:

Thats a very good question.... just checked and my hoses are a little bit sucked in.... hmm what can be done?

Maybe ghetto but does the BMW cap (which has a valve) fit on the Audi tank? You'll need good thread engagement.

Alternatively maybe a suitable Audi cap?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Maybe ghetto but does the BMW cap (which has a valve) fit on the Audi tank? You'll need good thread engagement.

Alternatively maybe a suitable Audi cap?

looks like the same bottle in the audi R8, I reckon I must just have a dodgy cap or the incorrect one as I got it off a golf. There are black coloured caps as well maybe it's one of those.. 

Yeah, well if it's not in the cap Audi's will still have a release valve somewhere which you might be able to use. Alternative you could tap a separate valve into the top of the reservoir somewhere - just get the correct pressure which I think is written on the top of the S50 cap. S50 is closed loop though, you may need to factor in a relief valve return line also.

So today been getting a grind on and tuning my welding skills.. 

it aint pretty but will do the job

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

• Like 1

Cut 45 on the edge of the manifold and come from under it for turbo feed

44 minutes ago, crunchy said:

Cut 45 on the edge of the manifold and come from under it for turbo feed

I was thinking about doing that, but ended up going here as I had space to fill, where it enters there is going to be a smaller 70deg tube bend to direct half the air flow to the front of the intake. Hopefully that will make it a bit more even across the cylinders :)

The intake regardless how you do it as it sits with be very average for equal cly flow, your stinky linky could do individual cly tuning will clean things up

• Like 1

Sorta like this..

IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG