Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

Is this due to back pressure behind rotors or supercharger speed?

The reason I ask is sometimes people get confused with psi on

superchargers as it will develop differing pressures on different engine capacities.

Roots blowers were never very efficent to start with and around 50% at the best of times thus the heat generated comes from the gears and the mass of the unit makes a great heat sink.

Screw blowers are very efficent thus thats what used on top fuel but dont come cheap, top fuel making 8000hp is using 1000hp plus just to run the blower, heat isnt an issue running alky/nitro and they only run for short duration.

Very cool vid above.

You know you want to do the same!

Edited by Ian 540i6

About this time last year I thought about supercharging my M50B25 since it was iron with a big old GM M90 I had at the time.

But then I decided the V8 conversion was a better idea. Nearly there a year on!

Hey guys got an update, Ive had so much fun with this project and have always wanted to give drifting a go, so this weekend just been i got hold of some AC Schnitzer 17 x 9.5" wide rims 8.5 for the front off a 5 series et15 with a quick camber adjustment on the front and rear to get it to sit hella flush stretched some 205 45 17 ft and 215 45 17 rear. then got a diff 3.45 and welded it solid. ive taken it off the road to set up as a drifter, seens as i dont have my dirt bike anymore i can justify having a toy so this will be it. i.ve taken some pics of what i have done and will post here soon..

So this means my car needs to be lighter, B) i have some very nice Grey leather sports seats interior for sale anyone want to do a swap for two race seats and seat belts.... and for you guys who love to play with Photoshop what paint job do you think a drift e36 coupe should look like.. crazy ideas only. :D

The wheels on the car.. they dont match, but who cares right! lol its going to the weigh bridge on Saturday morning and once im happy with the weight after gutting it out this weekend im going to panel beat the guards nice and smooth, when i smashed them out to fit the wheels, alot of bog fell out and we cant have that, not in my car, bog is heavy haha, then move on and get the 2100lbs pressure plate kit for the m20 flywheel and then redo my mounts for my charger. and hope to pick up some race seats in the process and make a hand brake leaver.. anyway lets me know on feedback and ideas please, has anyone done this here...??

oh and i was thinking the other night is it possible to build a m50b28 turbo engine and wire it up with a rb25det ecu and loom and then i theory you'll have a BMW turbo engine with no need to tune just turn up the boost and go??god my mind wonders sometimes..

post-2228-1311851040.jpg

post-2228-1311851108.jpg

post-2228-1311851133.jpg

post-2228-1311851388.jpg

post-2228-1311851447.jpg

post-2228-1311851456.jpg

Edited by Garett

Looking good man

25DET loom might get tricky

Im pretty sure they have different crank sensors to m50/52 among other things

Gavin Bellars at Hi Velocity in Auckland can remap your standard ECU though.

GO turbo! Someone has to. Im too lazy to finish mine haha

If you think the ve of the rb25det will be the same as your engine with a turbo. I'm sure it's possible to set up the sensors with enough time, money and skill. Standalone ecu hasn't crossed your mind?

Your standard handbrake will be fine. If you look up Chelsea Denofa, he was using a factory handbrake up untill i got sick of drifting.

There are a few people that can re-tune your factory ecu.

Curb Weights Below

post-2228-1311921349.jpg

Where'd you go to get it weighed? What have you taken out of it so far.

I'd like to see how mine compares

Where'd you go to get it weighed? What have you taken out of it so far.

I'd like to see how mine compares

Only the spare tyre only because it wasn't in there so can add 25kg on top for that and has about 25 liters of gas in it so that's probably the 20 or so kg difference in the rear left to right.. and im sitting in it around 83 odd kg

I weighed it at jim wright nissan were i work as a parts adviser it is supposed to be dead accurate. i will post one the same once im done stripping it out on monday.

Edited by Garett

oh has anyone got any adapter plates to put the e38 brembo calipers on a e36??

oh has anyone got any adapter plates to put the e38 brembo calipers on a e36??

I think BM Weapon was developing something for the E28/32/34

They were on trademe just the other day.

These have the same caliper mounting as the E36 IIRC

But you would need to find some discs with the right hat height to suit.

and am I the only one who can see the pics? WTF...

h and i was thinking the other night is it possible to build a m50b28 turbo engine and wire it up with a rb25det ecu and loom and then i theory you'll have a BMW turbo engine with no need to tune just turn up the boost and go??god my mind wonders sometimes..

nice thought compression between the two is differant so youll need to tune regardless, and you cant reflash a rb25 ecu you would use a rb20, you can retro fit a cam trigger as ive done on my m50 works great did post pics but was a waste of time doing so on here.

Cool, its quite easy to change the con-rods to shorter ones to lower the compression and putting forged piston heads on. do you think that a super charger could run fine on a rb25det instead of a turbo?? would adjust fuel via air pressure right..

I only spent a few hours on my car this weekend i stripped out everything from the dash back including scraping off the sound deadening that was a few kg, also took the spring out of my handbrake leaver so it wont catch when its pulled, wow it def made a huge difference to performance but still not done yet i want this thing as light as possible, I also wired up a boost gauge and painted my tow eye red for shits. im on the look out now for 2 bucket seats and seat belts :D and strut braces.

Guys i have a pretty nice full leather Grey sports interior for sale for 500

Also a set of 19" advanti stalkers which have just had $450 spent on them to make them dead straight and been preped ready for paint 2 tyres good 215/35/19, 2 sh*t. $450ono

post-2228-1312103680.jpg

not quit sure where your realy want to go with this but this is what im doing, im using the m50b25 with a very large turbo straight forward to do without fitting a bunch of stuff like retro fitting another engine eg rb25 etc.

im going for a 4 digit motor but that doesnt come cheap but the stock m50b25 will do 450hp without taking the head off easy power great engine.

if your serious about what you want to do ill help but you need to make your mind up which way you want to go.

Cool, its quite easy to change the con-rods to shorter ones to lower the compression and putting forged piston heads on.

I'm not sure how much shorter you could make the rods without the pistons hitting the crank.

I think BM Weapon was developing something for the E28/32/34

They were on trademe just the other day.

These have the same caliper mounting as the E36 IIRC

But you would need to find some discs with the right hat height to suit.

and am I the only one who can see the pics? WTF...

have been looking into this^,but its gonna take awhile to 'get it right'

m

have been looking into this^,but its gonna take awhile to 'get it right'

m

^^ Is this not you then: TardMe

I recall you mentioning it a while back, and said at the time to check the E36 compatability to increase the market, and assumed.....

I am 90% sure they share the same caliper mount spacing, and offset (in relation to the disc).

So, unless the disc is being push out a silly amount (as the E24/28/32/34 have deep hats) then a suitable alternative rotor could be sourced for E36's eg. C5 Corvette Rotors oe E46 M3 (csl even, pretty sure Darren had these instock at some point NZAD has some E36 M3 ones at present).

Edited by E30-323ti

From what Ive read the E38 brembos are sh*t for track use.

Pistons seals cant take extra heat, hard to find decent pads etc.

Though I might be wrong (I usually am :rolleyes: )

How is the car running?

Did you solve the fuelling problem?

Hey man listen to crunchy, i talked to him when i decided i wanted to turbo the m50 i have for my E30... amazing what you can learn from a hour long phonecall.. hes EXTREMELY clued up...i wish i hadnt run out of money or i would have been able to build up a awesome setup with the information he gave me..luckily i wrote most of it down... crunchy isint appreciated enough on this forum..he has alot to offer and sometimes some people need to sitback and realise he knows more than ya average "slap a turbo on and wind it up til something blows" approach.

From what Ive read the E38 brembos are sh*t for track use.

Pistons seals cant take extra heat, hard to find decent pads etc.

Though I might be wrong (I usually am :rolleyes: )

How is the car running?

Did you solve the fuelling problem?

yeah ill flag the brembo thing i think... i dont think its fast enough yet haha, pads are easy to find though some Porsche and Ferrari use them.

But the car is running mint hasn't skipped a beat, im lov'n it.. um the fuel problem... turns out there isn't one tat i know of, happy days. :lol:

Edited by Garett

I haven't finished all the weight reductions yet so im going to save the weigh in for when its ready, hopefully soon though. tonight ill just remove the towbar, maybe a lil bit of interior, i spotted some more sound deadining whats the trick to getting this off with ease??? i skind my fingers last time with a scraper.. not fun haha