Sign in to follow this  
Garett

GDM - E36 Drift/Race Project

Should be fine ... Ive been running mine backwards for a year and a half no worries.

Only problem is it makes a lot more noise running backwards because of the blade angle.

Yeah the noise sounds sweet haha

ok so today after work i chopped off my new roof to go on my car, also have taken all next week off to get the cage painted and a few other things done, so there will be a few updates to come in the next week or two.. :D

There is bound to be some reduction in efficiency running the fan in reverse as the blades are generally designed to flow in one direction.

eg. with my slimline spal fan, you can remove the blade and reverse if you are wanting a puller or pusher setup and maintain the same flowrate.

Whether it is an issue in you application.... Joshs' setup seems to be running fine....

Yeah in peak summer with the traffic its a nice stable temp with the fan going the whole time. Temp switch kicks in at 95 degrees and stops at 91 degrees. It pushes a lot of air as I have just wired it in for full speed.

Best thing to do is go out and test it.

I use the block temprature sensor / ECU for realtime read outs instead of the temp gauge.

The fan temp switch I use is just is a single stage one. The fan is capible of two speed but I dont really need it.

cage primed, interior tomorrow

post-2228-1321785357.jpg

Nice, dig your style. What are you doing for the diff?

At the moment i will be running a 318is lock diff, in the near future a complete rear subframe from an m3 with diff.. :D

ok so today i sanded the whole interior

post-2228-1321870193.jpg

And then it rained so no painting :( so i unstitched the new roof i cut off the other day, and removed a non abs master cylinder and piping for a wreck, that was a good solid 12hr day.. looking forward to tomorrow when ill be able to etch a few more lil bits here and there, primer the whole interior and inside the roof skin, and paint the cage with the final coat...

post-2228-1321870666.jpg

post-2228-1321870778.jpg

Yeah in peak summer with the traffic its a nice stable temp with the fan going the whole time. Temp switch kicks in at 95 degrees and stops at 91 degrees. It pushes a lot of air as I have just wired it in for full speed.

Best thing to do is go out and test it.

I use the block temprature sensor / ECU for realtime read outs instead of the temp gauge.

The fan temp switch I use is just is a single stage one. The fan is capible of two speed but I dont really need it.

yeah that's like my one it has two speeds. and yeah blows a crap load of air, any ideas on the best way on wiring it up because i was going to have switch's on my dash you know like, this on, that on, this on, fan on etc...

You really want a fan switch to be automatic.

You can use one of the factory fan switches that bolts into the drivers side of the radiator to control it. I can find a part number if that explanation was no good.

I didn't realise there were non abs e36's. Do they have anything to control the front to rear bias that the abs models don't?

For un stitching the roof do you just drill out all the spot welds from the under side?

How do you paint the tight parts where the cage is almost touching the car body?

Your side intrusion bars are like nothing i've ever seen before

Keep up the good work.

A quick update..

post-2228-1321959236.jpg

post-2228-1321959269.jpg

ok so paint costs lots... Today I..

Stripped the front doors of there intrusion bars, they weigh sh*t loads.

Made a left and right manual winding coupe window reg's, the mechanism from a e36 4dr rear reg. fitted them :)

Made Templates for my door cards of of cardboard

Cleaned that sticky sh*t off the roof...worst job ever.

Brought my final coat paint and painted the inside of the roof.

Tomorrows list...

mask roll cage

scotch pad interior

Paint interior

Im loving having time off from work at the moment, only 4 more days left and so much to do.. :blink:

post-2228-1322043520.jpg

post-2228-1322043532.jpg

post-2228-1322043545.jpg

post-2228-1322043563.jpg

post-2228-1322043662.jpg

Edited by Garett

At least you get to scrape the stuff off where gravity isn't working against you

Where do your window winders sit in relation to the side intrusion bars? I was going to try convert mine to manual Untill everything decided it wanted to collide with eachother

At least you get to scrape the stuff off where gravity isn't working against you

Where do your window winders sit in relation to the side intrusion bars? I was going to try convert mine to manual Untill everything decided it wanted to collide with eachother

This is true i cant imagine it would be very easy upside down.. you need to find a way to hang the car, hmm...

As you can see in the pics if i use e30 handles they just clear the cage as they dont stick out very far from the door, i have also made some alloy covers for the doors and rear quarters, if anyone would like the template for these let me know.

well, all is painted and the finishing touch's are not far away, dash in and wiring to be done today...:)

post-2228-1322250607.jpg

post-2228-1322250638.jpg

post-2228-1322250669.jpg

post-2228-1322250692.jpg

post-2228-1322250716.jpg

post-2228-1322250748.jpg

Your door cards look heaps better then mine. What are you going to do for a door handle and opener?

Your door cards look heaps better then mine. What are you going to do for a door handle and opener?

Thanks i guess, im going to redo the front doors at some point soon. for the handle im going to have a pull strap, and the opener not to sure yet maybe some sort of slider knob thingy.

Got the dash fitted and car wiring all in place, and most of the grommets, im going to have to pillage some more off some wrecks to fill all the holes. still heaps to do had enough for today, hope to get some headway tomorrow..

post-2228-1322290826.jpg

post-2228-1322291135.jpg

post-2228-1322291151.jpg

post-2228-1322291164.jpg

post-2228-1322291196.jpg

ok so one day left on my holiday. all is going well.. apart from the serious case of sun burn i got today :blink: running around the yard looking for different size grommets, best place to look is e46 engine bay and e34 boot i found. i must admit i got way to carried away looking for them i have so many left over...

Finally the roof goes on on tuesday, but tomorrow will need to prep the surfaces between the two then drop it off to the guy who's welding it.

hope you guys are enjoying the project so far..

post-2228-1322389945.jpg

Edited by Garett

ok so today i made the alloy super charger pull button holder, and the center dash switch panel and right hand panel for the boost gauge and light switch's im pretty stoked how they turned out...

Well thats the update for the week.

have a good week. :D

ok so today i made the alloy super charger pull button holder, and the center dash switch panel and right hand panel for the boost gauge and light switch's im pretty stoked how they turned out...

Well thats the update for the week.

have a good week. :D

More more more!!!!

Looking sweet man, loving the work! Also loving the wheels, same wheels as on the 8 series we got :P

Thanks man i quite like the wheels although not all people like them and each to there own, these will be dresses up with some paint and will be my race wheels, im also going to paint up my 19" stalkers to match the car once its all painted on the outside for road use..

ok sent away my clutch pressure plate to get uprated from 1100lbs to 2500lbs with a non slip spring clutch plate. should have it back friday and installed in the weekend along with the abs removal, braided lines, master cylinder and side windows in and parcel shelf panel made... happy days :D:lol: