Sign in to follow this  
naughty bmw

XYZ , BC, H&R Coilover comparisons / experiance

I have read the post where a couple of you guys went head to head on BC versus GC (?) coilovers.

But one thing i cannot find is someone who has a picture of ride height with a full platform suspension set up.

That is a complete coilover front and rear.

I currently run custom fronts on my E30 but am wanting rears now and am considering buying a full kit.

XYZ distributors however said they can make a custom rear to suit how i want mine to ride, which I thought was nice.

I want low, but i dont want super rough.

Cn anyone who has a complete setup help shed somelight on this and/ or post a pic of you car so i can compare.

Thanks

Regards

Travis

Im running full BC Golds on my car see the ride height in my project thread:BC Golds best bang for buck i say.

Posted Image

Yeah our ride hieght seems to be much the same. Do u still have more lowering avaliable

In the platforms to go lower?

I would post a pic of my stance but uploads seems to be disabled?

Edited by naughty bmw

Posted Image

Yeah our ride hieght seems to be much the same. Do u still have more lowering avaliable

In the platforms to go lower?

I would post a pic of my stance but uploads seems to be disabled?

Re-size your pics mate 800x600 if im not mistaken?

have fitted xyz coilovers to an e30 race car, best coil over ive seen for the money imo...

The Front Struts can go down another 40mm, Rears can go down another 30mm. At lowest point the car is not really drivable, Sumps on the ground basically.

Re-size your pics mate 800x600 if im not mistaken?

sorry mate, i just "quote" ed it from APT's old project tread, didnt realise the size, and to be honest couldnt probly reduce it now.

I have 'PM'ed an administrator to unlock my 'uploads' so i can do it all legit. sorry again

The Front Struts can go down another 40mm, Rears can go down another 30mm. At lowest point the car is not really drivable, Sumps on the ground basically.

Thanks for that, its just nice to know there is a bit more lowering in it if you have to, for show / pictures etc

cheers

have fitted xyz coilovers to an e30 race car, best coil over ive seen for the money imo...

Thats good to hear thanks oli, its the option im most tending towards at the moment and also bc..

cheers

This is mine (when it was still johns) on GC's, rear as low as it goes, front almost as high as it goes.

The ride is awesome, but then again I have never felt the ride of the others. All I can compare it with in an e30 is standard and my old one with jamex springs/standard bilsteins, and obviously this setup wins hands down.

Regarding the roughness of the ride, I don't think its too bad. You can choose the spring rates to suit when you order them anyway.

But XYZ are around a third of the price, so really depends on what you've got to spend..

post-4861-1308523325.jpg

Edited by sascha
  • Like 1

Hmmm longevity is the only question. Also can they be rebuild easily.

Lots of kits on the market that are fine for a year or two, then you just find yourself having to go through it all again because of leaky shocks or rambled springs. Sometimes a bit better to justsave a little bit longer for the more expensive kit? dunno.. hard one that. Depends on what you want from it.

Yeah good call on the longevity, will look into that with the xyz brand

Cheers for the pic of your car sacsha, the stance of the rear is just right.

I will do some research on the CG brand.

Anyone in NZ import those or better to import yourself?

im in the same boat , wanting to get my front lower to close that gap , but still handle mint!

few guys online used e90 top hats , because they are thicker than stock e30 hats and still fit .. roughly a 15mm drop .

but there were alot of mixed opinions on that.

Edited by e34play

Anyone in NZ import those or better to import yourself?

Pretty sure you've gotta import yourself. I think thats what john did, might pay to ask him (e30ftw) is his username

Pretty sure you've gotta import yourself. I think thats what john did, might pay to ask him (e30ftw) is his username

cheers i will do that, hence why they cost so much i suspect as frieght kills all importing when the weights get too high.

Cheers

cheers i will do that, hence why they cost so much i suspect as frieght kills all importing when the weights get too high.

Cheers

Yeah it adds a bit, but the shipping was only 150USD. I suppose thats still quite a bit to pay extra though

I have just fitted XYZ coil overs to my E30 and fitted XYZ 6 pot brakes as well. The coil overs in the front come with camber plates as part of the strut. The brakes fit under 15 inch wheels. The series wheels are required to clear the calipers. I did get the correct clearance using spacers and BBS wheels but the series wheels are better.

From the first sprint meeting I class the XYZ brakes as bloody fantastic. I am about to try a softer spring in the rear of my car as it's a little hard. The supplier has sent me the softer springs to try them out. He actually cares about the customer getting satisfaction. Even with the harder springs I have improved my lap time significantly. Kane Barrie gave me the details of the top plate to be made to fit the coil-overs and strengthening to the towers.

I previously had Wilwood 4 pot Dynalite calipers and they lasted 7 meetings. The pistons are badly crazed and the bores are badly scored. I took the brakes back to the supplier and also wrote to Wilwood. They basically couldn't give a stuff. The supplier claimed that the bores are OK scored like they are and the pistons badly crazed. They weld together when they get to the end of a race and are in cool down mode. I have shown the Wilwoods to a number of mechanics who all say they are stuffed.

I have just fitted XYZ coil overs to my E30 and fitted XYZ 6 pot brakes as well. The coil overs in the front come with camber plates as part of the strut.......

From the first sprint meeting I class the XYZ brakes as bloody fantastic. I am about to try a softer spring in the rear of my car as it's a little hard. The supplier has sent me the softer springs to try them out. He actually cares about the customer getting satisfaction. Even with the harder springs I have improved my lap time significantly. Kane Barrie gave me the details of the top plate to be made to fit the coil-overs and strengthening to the towers.

Good to hear you are finding them good to deal with. Just from the emails i hav had with the guy,he seems like he is prepared to do anything to help out. He was guna build me just a complete rear platform for me and match the spring ratws to my fronts. But i thnk i will jst go a complete set.

U mentioned strengthening the top hat and struts? Is this in the rear?

Have u run with a complete coilover in the rear or seperate shock and spring?

Thanks for the feedback Fiat131, I'd hoped someone might offer some.

At just under $2k the XYZ isn't exactly in the super cheap bracket like the Jamax ect and the seller seems to have some credibility.

For lower priced coilovers, they might be the go.

Good to hear you are finding them good to deal with. Just from the emails i hav had with the guy,he seems like he is prepared to do anything to help out. He was guna build me just a complete rear platform for me and match the spring ratws to my fronts. But i thnk i will jst go a complete set.

U mentioned strengthening the top hat and struts? Is this in the rear?

Have u run with a complete coilover in the rear or seperate shock and spring?

I have attached some pictures of the strengthening we did. I am not too good at adding pictures so hope they worked

post-5339-1308689162.jpg

post-5339-1308689179.jpg

post-5339-1308689194.jpg

post-5339-1308689231.jpg

Thanks for the feedback Fiat131, I'd hoped someone might offer some.

At just under $2k the XYZ isn't exactly in the super cheap bracket like the Jamax ect and the seller seems to have some credibility.

For lower priced coilovers, they might be the go.

I have attached a pic of the set up for the E36 I have just bought. They are almost the same as the E30 ones I installed.

We replaced the gold alloy top plate on the front to offset the centre by between 10 and 12 mm. If you ask Kane Barrie about doing this he is the man.

post-5339-1308689505.jpg

the rears where coil over shock units too, not seperate spring like in the picture btw.

I have attached a pic of the set up for the E36 I have just bought. They are almost the same as the E30 ones I installed.

We replaced the gold alloy top plate on the front to offset the centre by between 10 and 12 mm. If you ask Kane Barrie about doing this he is the man.

What is the reason why u replaced the front top hat. Do they not have camber plates?

No dramas if not as i have custom front camberplates.?

What is the reason why u replaced the front top hat. Do they not have camber plates?

No dramas if not as i have custom front camberplates.?

Geoff was meaning the rear upper mount.

You can offset the top rear mount so to accomodate the rear spring diametre (of the complete coilover option) in the factory rear shock turrets.

If you were building a car and fabricating cage into it at the same time, you'd go the turret option.

Evan

We have some new and improved XYZ rear springs for the rear of E30 for the seperate shock / spring setup.

Its a stiffer rate than previously and spring length is only 110mm long.

These offer max lowering and are stiff enough to stop bottoming out.

Can be run in E36 as well. Spring rate is 670 lbs

Sits the E30 rear the same as Sascha picture.

Evan

Edited by Speedfactor Motorsport

Geoff was meaning the rear upper mount.

You can offset the top rear mount so to accomodate the rear spring diametre (of the complete coilover option) in the factory rear shock turrets.

If you were building a car and fabricating cage into it at the same time, you'd go the turret option.

Evan

I knew I'd seen a distributor for the XYZs somewhere round here.

Do you have E46 gear yet?