Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

BMW 1 M Coupe on Top Gear

The full retail price for one of these is $111,900 (including a $2000 on road cost - honestly this on-road cost just seems to creep higher and higher every year!!).

Kinda of nice that BMW is no longer keeping this a limited production run ... epic car

(whether you like it aesthetically or not).

Hmmm, $10k more than an RS3. Would rather the 1M for the extra $10% but curious given they're the same 40k pounds in the UK. Might be spec differences...

The full retail price for one of these is $111,900 (including a $2000 on road cost - honestly this on-road cost just seems to creep higher and higher every year!!).

Kinda of nice that BMW is no longer keeping this a limited production run ... epic car

(whether you like it aesthetically or not).

Because road reg keeps getting higher and higher.

Hmmm, $10k more than an RS3. Would rather the 1M for the extra $10% but curious given they're the same 40k pounds in the UK. Might be spec differences...

The trick would be finding a dealer that had one to sell... On pistonheads they're trading close to £10K above book, and they got roughly twice as many cars as we did based on population base.

Can't comment on spec differences, but there really isn't much else you'd want to tick on the kiwi cars.

All that's doing is confirming BMW NZ is choosing to gouge. Charming.

I was pleasantly surprised by 1M pricing in NZ vs 135i and M3, especially considering the standard options BMW NZ has spec'd including navigation, harmon kardon stereo upgrade etc. This wasn't the case in USA and possibly not UK either.

Here is a story on the internet regarding the BMW 1M by Kelleners. As it says there BMW 1 Series M Coupe is able to deliver 340 horsepower and 450 Nm of torque, Kelleners Sport managed to improve the figures to 410 horses and 550 Nm of torque...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do you like it guys?

Edited by BMWLover

Do you like it guys?

didnt take long for someone to cheese up a perfectly visually balanced vehicle. Its like modding a M3 CSL .. ya just dont do it cause your going backwards.

so i just watched that episode and oh my god soooooo muchhhh WANT!!!

Only one left for sale in NZ, it lands in January if you want to get a deposit down.

How many will be sold in total? I heard 12, then 15. What's the final number?

Ever? Assuming they keep making them (which it looks from the internets like they will), as many as NZers will buy...

Ever? Assuming they keep making them (which it looks from the internets like they will), as many as NZers will buy...

BMW say it's a limited run car with production ending this year. There is speculation on the Internet this may be extended but I don't recall reading a credible source.

At this stage there are fourteen + one press car.

Like Dylan says, anything suggesting an extended / increased production run is internet heresay. There has been nothing official from BMW NZ.

Besides, isn't 2700 cars worldwide pretty limited already?

Whether the internets is credible or not, I still think they'll sell as many as they can profitably. If they don't make any money on them, then they might not, and if there's some other reason (like, they can make something else for more profit on those lines), they might not.

Either way I don't really care, but I think they'd be stupid to stop making them simply so they're rare. The only reason to do that .... would be to charge more for it. Which they aren't.

Whether the internets is credible or not, I still think they'll sell as many as they can profitably. If they don't make any money on them, then they might not, and if there's some other reason (like, they can make something else for more profit on those lines), they might not.

Either way I don't really care, but I think they'd be stupid to stop making them simply so they're rare. The only reason to do that .... would be to charge more for it. Which they aren't.

From the research I've done, BMW M had a specific goal in mind with the 1M, and it wasn't high volume. This is evident by the focus - no DCT, limited colors, limited options, high price for a 1 series etc. They could have sold more if they'd softened their stance on these things. In the US for example, there are already wide reports of dealers being all out of cars/allocation and turning customers away. In the UK market, each car comes with a plaque that says "one of 450". Of course I could be wrong and they may extend the production, but I wouldn't put money on it.

The goal with the 1M was to build a low price car for enthusiasts. Dr Kay, head of M during the development, is on record saying he wants the car to be a collectors car similar to the MINI GP (also developed under his reign, at MINI). BMW knew they could have priced the car higher, but the goal "wasn't to cream the market" (his words) but rather introduce a new generation of buyers to the M division. It's priced attractively to make it more affordable for younger people. The 1M will also pave the way for a next-generation M car of similar size, which will no doubt be introduced at the beginning of the F20 lifecycle (note: the chassis of the 1M is now the "old model" and won't be produced for much longer anyway) and the favorable reviews of the 1M will help to sell the new car. I also read the N54 engine, which powers the 1M, can no longer be sold in the USA from 2012 due to emissions regulations. Other series cars have moved to the N55.

Of course, I could be wrong. But this is what I've read.

I also read the N54 engine, which powers the 1M, can no longer be sold in the USA from 2012 due to emissions regulations. Other series cars have moved to the N55.

That's a good thing because the only thing I would change about the 1M is the engine. It is fast - I noted that, but it isn't responsive compared to the rest of the car. The chassis and brakes certainly mean business and are really really sharp - the engine just doesn't *quite* cut it in such an awesome set of running gear. But hey - I enjoyed my time in it - so I guess that if you leave a car with a grin it can't be all bad...

I hope the next gen M3 doesn't have the N54 or N55 - that would be a mistake in my book... some new tech is required.

That's a good thing because the only thing I would change about the 1M is the engine. It is fast - I noted that, but it isn't responsive compared to the rest of the car. The chassis and brakes certainly mean business and are really really sharp - the engine just doesn't *quite* cut it in such an awesome set of running gear. But hey - I enjoyed my time in it - so I guess that if you leave a car with a grin it can't be all bad...

I hope the next gen M3 doesn't have the N54 or N55 - that would be a mistake in my book... some new tech is required.

The N54 is a great engine. I love the torque, the power and the stats speak for themselves. I don't think you can compare the engine to the bespoke unit in the E90, especially in regards to responsiveness. No matter how good these turbo engines are (and they're good) you just can't replicate the responsive nature of a quality NA engine, especially at the top of the rev range.

Do you own an E90? I've never driven one. We should meet up some day and compare notes!

PS: the next generation M3 will certainly be turbocharged. From what I've read M is weighing up options including the N55 and (wait for it) a tri-turbo. I think the N54 has been ruled out for the reasons already outlined. I agree with you though and hope they come up with something completely new for the next M3. I think they will - the M3 is their bread and butter and critics will be harsh if it has any lag and a (comparatively) dull engine note.

The last internets rumouring I saw was the next one (edit - meaning the small car - not M3) might be a 4 cylinder turbo. Not necessarily a bad thing if its fast, responsive and light. Full circle to the original S14'd M3.

On creating a new breed of M buyers, maybe that is their goal, and a noble one. In this economy, its a brave move to limit profit on any car for any reason.

Edited by CamB

The N54 is a great engine. I love the torque, the power and the stats speak for themselves. I don't think you can compare the engine to the bespoke unit in the E90, especially in regards to responsiveness. No matter how good these turbo engines are (and they're good) you just can't replicate the responsive nature of a quality NA engine, especially at the top of the rev range.

Do you own an E90? I've never driven one. We should meet up some day and compare notes!

PS: the next generation M3 will certainly be turbocharged. From what I've read M is weighing up options including the N55 and (wait for it) a tri-turbo. I think the N54 has been ruled out for the reasons already outlined. I agree with you though and hope they come up with something completely new for the next M3. I think they will - the M3 is their bread and butter and critics will be harsh if it has any lag and a (comparatively) dull engine note.

I owned a 335i for 3 years - that had a (chipped) N54. It was great for a fast car - but having driven the M3 engine - no comparison!! (I know they can be about the same performance in a drag race - but on a track or driving hard - I'll take the S65 any day)

The tri-turbo talk seems to be covering off the issues I have with the N54 which is cool. I think I'll keep this M3 and add the new one to the list of cars when it comes out.

Yes, I've got the e90 M3 - all good fun. I'm on the north shore in Auckland - what are you driving? The 1M?

I owned a 335i for 3 years - that had a (chipped) N54. It was great for a fast car - but having driven the M3 engine - no comparison!! (I know they can be about the same performance in a drag race - but on a track or driving hard - I'll take the S65 any day)

The tri-turbo talk seems to be covering off the issues I have with the N54 which is cool. I think I'll keep this M3 and add the new one to the list of cars when it comes out.

Yes, I've got the e90 M3 - all good fun. I'm on the north shore in Auckland - what are you driving? The 1M?

I'll probably be keen on the next M3 also! Yes I bought a 1M after wanting one since 2007 when the rumors first surfaced - bit of a dream come true. I live in Herne Bay but work on the shore. Would be fun to meet up some time! I want to get up close to an E90!

Production has been extended 12 more months.