Sign in to follow this  
Aslan

Advice on whether to buy?

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well. I have got a vehicle checked out, it's different than the one I had an AA inspection for so I thought I'd email you all and seek your advice as to how to proceed.

The BMWorkshop pre purchase inspection indicated the following:

Battery 10 years old / load test borderline

Main drive belt cracked

Spark plugs worn

Brake fluid flush due

Fuel filter due A/C micro filter dirty

A/c low on gas / hissing

Coolant weak

Radiator discolored and starts to leak

Top radiator hose discolored

Water pump developing play

Lower coolant return hose swollen due to P/S leaks

Power steering hoses from reservoir leaking

Brake shudder on motorway

Rear brake pads low / all discs low

Passenger wing mirror adjustment not working

Front tyres worn on edges

Recommend wheel alignment

Left front and rear rim buckle / all rims curb damage

Diff mount cracked

Left rear window regulator noisy

Left rear carped damp - water leak inside ?

Oil dip stick breather hose split

Front brake hoses perished

Engine sump gasket leaking

Right front sway bar link play

Diff side seal weeping - minor

Some board tools missing

Normal wear and tear on body and interior (Small dents, etc)

Wheel speed sensor and interface faults in ABS - Not present CAN wheel speed faults in Transmission control unit - Not present Road test in wet condition

Any advice at all for me on how to proceed? On how much it might cost to fix the major things etc?

Thanks,

Aslan

reaaalllllyyyy....wouldn't touch it :rolleyes: ...must be better examples around

Hi everyone,

Any advice at all for me on how to proceed? On how much it might cost to fix the major things etc?

Thanks,

Aslan

1. Either change your budget or change the type of car you're looking for.

2. More than I suspect you can afford (read thousands).

Why don't you at least look at the one someone suggested in your other thread?

From memory, a '99 or '00 328i, NZ new, 82kms, full leather, some history and asking $10k ono, going overseas.

It's got to be better than the ones you're looking at with 200kms and faults galore.

Why don't you at least look at the one someone suggested in your other thread?

From memory, a '99 or '00 328i, NZ new, 82kms, full leather, some history and asking $10k ono, going overseas.

It's got to be better than the ones you're looking at with 200kms and faults galore.

Thank you Palazzo, but unfortunately my finance only goes through dealers and so I can not purchase a vehicle from a private seller.

Whoaback - this is only slightly better than the other one you looked at. The brakes and A/C alone could run you $1500 let alone the cooling problems. I wouldn't touch it with yours...

I would be looking at a different finance company, upping the budget or different cars in that case.

If you need finance now to buy a cheaper bmw as you'll probably require more just to service it. Suggest you buy something more within your budget.

You have got to be crazy dude-its a lemon!!

I can't understand how a 330 can be in such a condition!

Dude, if you can only afford to finance a car through a car dealer, and a car worth less than 10 grand at that, I would NOT be looking at E46's... or even BMW's at all.

Wait a while, save some cash then buy a really tidy example. For the amount you want to spend you're only going to end up buying a lemon of a BMW, especially one in the E46 model range.

If you don't have your own cash to spend on a BMW in the first place, there's no way you'll be able to afford the repair bills and maintenance.

Not trying to be harsh, me and many others on this site have learnt the hard way... but believe me if you keep trying to find an E46 at a dealer for super cheap you're only going end up disheartened, with an empty wallet and a big finance bill to pay.

Dude, if you can only afford to finance a car through a car dealer, and a car worth less than 10 grand at that, I would NOT be looking at E46's... or even BMW's at all.

Wait a while, save some cash then buy a really tidy example. For the amount you want to spend you're only going to end up buying a lemon of a BMW, especially one in the E46 model range.

If you don't have your own cash to spend on a BMW in the first place, there's no way you'll be able to afford the repair bills and maintenance.

Not trying to be harsh, me and many others on this site have learnt the hard way... but believe me if you keep trying to find an E46 at a dealer for super cheap you're only going end up disheartened, with an empty wallet and a big finance bill to pay.

^^^^^^^^ 100% and some. And what everyone else has said. This one only marginally better than the first & not suitable if you cannot do repairs/ maintainance yourself. Even as I can - I still would not want that one. Believe me & everyone else - it will only leave you with a sour taste of the marque.

Hi everyone, thanks for your advice.

I'm going to get BMWorkshop to email me a quote of how much it should be to fix the most important parts and then I'll take that quote to the dealer and ask them what they're willing to do in terms of repairing the vehicle or lowering the price, if they're willing to repair the major stuff then I'll still get the vehicle and fix the smaller things up later that don't require immediate attention.

I like the 330i and I appreciate advice not to purchase the vehicle, but actually, I will, as you all suggested, take the advice of the BMWorkshop who are the experts and stated that the condition of the vehicle is expected for something this age and that it just requires some things to be fixed before using it. If those things can be fixed by the dealer then I will take it.

Thanks,

Aslan

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all well. I have got a vehicle checked out, it's different than the one I had an AA inspection for so I thought I'd email you all and seek your advice as to how to proceed.

The BMWorkshop pre purchase inspection indicated the following:

Battery 10 years old / load test borderline

Main drive belt cracked

Spark plugs worn

Brake fluid flush due

Fuel filter due A/C micro filter dirty

A/c low on gas / hissing

Coolant weak

Radiator discolored and starts to leak

Top radiator hose discolored

Water pump developing play

Lower coolant return hose swollen due to P/S leaks

Power steering hoses from reservoir leaking

Brake shudder on motorway

Rear brake pads low / all discs low

Passenger wing mirror adjustment not working

Front tyres worn on edges

Recommend wheel alignment

Left front and rear rim buckle / all rims curb damage

Diff mount cracked

Left rear window regulator noisy

Left rear carped damp - water leak inside ?

Oil dip stick breather hose split

Front brake hoses perished

Engine sump gasket leaking

Right front sway bar link play

Diff side seal weeping - minor

Some board tools missing

Normal wear and tear on body and interior (Small dents, etc)

Wheel speed sensor and interface faults in ABS - Not present CAN wheel speed faults in Transmission control unit - Not present Road test in wet condition

Thanks,

Aslan

If you were my client... I would advise not purchasing this vehicle. The cost to purchase maybe low, but there are far to many issues, which would lead me to believe this is not a very well maintained vehicle.

90% of dealer cars will be straight off the boat via japan and will have been given a wof and speedo cert and that's probably about it, dealers work on commission so are really only after a sale.

The more it costs to get fixed the less commission they make, so I doubt they'll be much help..

And bmw's aren't cheap to fix, especially with that list of sh*t wrong you have.

You should look at marac, a friend at work went through one of their brokers, eurofinance in chch, they had no problem buying private. Try them.

Or if you really have to buy that one make the yard pay for a mechanical warranty.

90% of dealer cars will be straight off the boat via japan and will have been given a wof and speedo cert and that's probably about it, dealers work on commission so are really only after a sale.

The more it costs to get fixed the less commission they make, so I doubt they'll be much help..

And bmw's aren't cheap to fix, especially with that list of sh*t wrong you have.

You should look at marac, a friend at work went through one of their brokers, eurofinance in chch, they had no problem buying private. Try them.

Or if you really have to buy that one make the yard pay for a mechanical warranty.

Mechanical warranty will not pay out for pre-purchase, pre-existing faults after it is sold to the new owner

Agreed. But as I've already paid for the inspection, there's no harm whatsoever in seeing what the dealer will fix. If the dealer is willing to fix the major issues then I will take the vehicle. I don't see any harm in that.

And, could be tricky to find an after market warranty for a car this old?

Ours excludes anything over 10years and 150000ks.

Also also, dealer is unlikely to be interested. They just want to unload it, hence the low price.

GO FIND A BETTER CAR!

I reckon you should just buy it, what do these guys know!? :huh:

And, could be tricky to find an after market warranty for a car this old?

Ours excludes anything over 10years and 150000ks.

Also also, dealer is unlikely to be interested. They just want to unload it, hence the low price.

GO FIND A BETTER CAR!

There are warranties available, both Autosure and Janssen warranties will cover it.

wow..

having owned a "problem" bmw previously I can vouch for how expensive and annoying these can be.

I used to fear it going to the mechanic because of the constant huge bills that seemed never ending.. if it isn't one thing it's another.

Trust me, that report you got....it hasn't caught half the things that will go wrong over the next 12 months.

maintenance history is EVERYTHING.

My currently car...nothing but regular handbook services. Such a joy....

There are warranties available, both Autosure and Janssen warranties will cover it.

Yes, they do indeed. (just checked)

But as Glenn said, they will not cover existing problems.

Good luck.

wow..

having owned a "problem" bmw previously I can vouch for how expensive and annoying these can be.

I used to fear it going to the mechanic because of the constant huge bills that seemed never ending.. if it isn't one thing it's another.

Trust me, that report you got....it hasn't caught half the things that will go wrong over the next 12 months.

maintenance history is EVERYTHING.

My currently car...nothing but regular handbook services. Such a joy....

That's something interesting that I found also. This vehicle has a handbook that came with the vehicle that shows that it has had servicing regularly. Though only once a year it appears and with something with as many kilometers as this, it probably should have had it twice a year.

I'll let you guys know what BMWorkshop says and also what the dealer says.

Thanks,

Aslan

Edited by Aslan

but serviced through whom....half that stuff would have been apparent for sometime.

BMW service?