Sign in to follow this  
Aslan

Advice on whether to buy?

Very good questions. I have directed these to the BMWorkshop too and will see what they think in terms of whether there are any issues with the engine. Within a couple of years I intend to change the engine for one with lower kilometers. I was advised that this is cheaper than doing a reconditioning.

I will take that into consideration too, once I hear back from the dealer about what they're prepared to fix I'll see what I can do about lowering the price further.

Agreed. But if I can get a 330i I can work on and get most of the major issues fixed by the dealer then I'm happy to put in the hard work. I don't really intend to sell the vehicle unless I leave the country.

And I thank them and you for that. At the moment I'm trying to ascertain whether it would be worth getting the vehicle. I can understand that the vehicle might not be running at its best straight away but if most of the major issues get fixed then I have no problems with fixing the rest bit by bit as a project. I'll wait to hear back from the dealer.

I think the most important thing is to get the cooling system 100 per cent.and to ensure as best you can that it has not been overheated.

You need to think about this peice of the story."it just needs a good service".......That implies it HASNT had good maintenance.The car you are looking at is a baby compared to most of the cars here.A car with the most basic care would not have any of the more minor issue s this car has(eg brake hoses,Weak(sic) coolant,needing a brake flush etc.All that is basic servicing.Brake discs low,maybe as maybe the previuos owner didnt want to spend the cash on a car he was about to sell.

However it seems to me that this car has had a BAD service history.

Aslan why are you so set on this car?

I take it you live in Auckland and the last time I went up

I saw about 85 million E46 BMWs (give or take)

So surely theres at least one other E46 for sale at the 10588 car yards down great south rd

Just a suggestion

oh yeah and shop around dealers. usually when they have cars marked at a certain price e.g. 12k or so you can haggle them down. those sticker prices mean nothing. only fools pay sticker price :D last time i bought a car from a dealer i haggled the price down by 3k from sticker price. + got a whole lot of extra stuff :D

oh yeah and shop around dealers. usually when they have cars marked at a certain price e.g. 12k or so you can haggle them down. those sticker prices mean nothing. only fools pay sticker price :D last time i bought a car from a dealer i haggled the price down by 3k from sticker price. + got a whole lot of extra stuff :D

this thread is a crack up!..."Just needs a good service"...like all the working girls on k rd....get them serviced at the hospital but there is still some things that end up terminal that you dont know about till its too late! BOOM...(not speaking from experience)

Yous all need to chill bros.

Aslan, if you're dead set on it, go for it.

Thank you Docile. When you bought the car how much were they asking for it and how much did you get them down to, what did they give you?

Thanks,

Aslan

this thread is a crack up!..."Just needs a good service"...like all the working girls on k rd....get them serviced at the hospital but there is still some things that end up terminal that you dont know about till its too late! BOOM...(not speaking from experience)

You seem to know quite a bit about this.

Yous all need to chill bros.

Aslan, if you're dead set on it, go for it.

I'm not dead set on it, I believe I am just being logical. I already paid the money for the pre purchase inspection so there's no harm in seeing what the dealer will fix and what the other repairer will fix it all for. I'm just waiting on those to make my decision.

Thank you though :)

This thread is now an utter waste of space.

90% of the replies to the thread have tried to talk you out of buying the car, if you still want to buy it then go for your life.

CLOSED.