Sign in to follow this  
Aslan

Advice on whether to buy?

but serviced through whom....half that stuff would have been apparent for sometime.

BMW service?

The handbook said Manuwatu European or something like that. I can't recall the exact name unfortunately.

My advice,

Edited by Gaz

I'd rather spend $10k on Lotto tickets than buy that car.

You'd have a higher chance of coming out in a better situation in 3 weeks time.

I wouldn't buy it.. I was in the same boat looking at 330i's 328i's for around your budget earlier this year but all the ones that were in that price range were duds and not worth the hassle. I ended up settling for a 318i as it was in way better condition, lower km's and had a good pre purchase inspection.

I've sent a quote for the most important things to fix according to BMWorkshop to the dealer and requested they look it over and get back to me with what they're prepared to fix.

I'll let you know what they say.

How much was the quote?

How much was the quote?

Radiator discolored and starts to leak 700 +gst

Top radiator hose discolored 100 +gst with radiator Lower coolant return hose swollen 80 +gst with radiator Water pump developing play 280 +gst

Coolant weak 80 +gst

Power steering hoses from reservoir leaking 380 +gst Main drive belt cracked 110 +gst

Spark plugs worn 200 +gst

Oil dip stick breather hose split 50 +gst

Battery 10 years old / load test borderline 230 +gst

I spoke to a repair shop who said it just sounded as if it requires a very good service.

$2.5k. Does that include labour?

Then you have the brakes, air con and whatever else was on the list.

Not being negative, just don't buy something that will break you.

$2.5k. Does that include labour?

Then you have the brakes, air con and whatever else was on the list.

Not being negative, just don't buy something that will break you.

That is approximate and inclusive of labour. The rest was:

Brake fluid flush due 80 +gst Fuel filter due 200 +gst

A/C micro filter dirty 75 +gst

A/c low on gas / hissing 150 +gst Brake shudder on motorway

Rear brake pads low / all discs low

Front brake hoses perished 250 +gst

Front brake pads and discs 430 +gst

Rear brake discs and pads 570 +gst (to check handbrake shoes) Recommend wheel alignment 70 +gst

Engine sump gasket leaking ~ 500 +gst

Left front and rear rim buckle / all rims curb damage $ ?

I truley don't comprehend why you won't listen to the advice given by people on this forum. You asked...we gave our opinions. BTW.. I replied to your email.

I truley don't comprehend why you won't listen to the advice given by people on this forum. You asked...we gave our opinions. BTW.. I replied to your email.

Thank you, I received your reply.

I asked for your and everyone else's advice, I do appreciate it. I would also just like to make sure that I'm making the right decision, it may be the case that the vehicle needs some work, but if I can get a reasonable effort from the dealer and if I can fix other things bit by bit that aren't so urgent, then I see no problem in purchasing this vehicle.

Is that so wrong?

I would think that you would be making the wrong decision to purchase the vehicle based on what you have posted. However, as I said in my email...I havent seen or checked the vehicle. At the end of the day it has to be your decission. If you were my customer (client) and I compiled this list of faults in a pre-purchase inspection.. I would advise you not to purchase it. I haven't checked it.. I can only go on what you have posted and emailed me.

If you were a DIY sort of a guy or actually know anything about cars I'd say go ahead and buy it if it is a steal. If not, then you are buying into more future worries by the looks of things.

Lot of the stuff on that list can be DIY'd if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and at the same time learn a bit about cars (actually much more enjoyable when you can and know how to tinker and fix them - and have the right tools also).

But yes, modern BMWs are seriously expensive to fix - a lot of it I think is down to greedy dealers charging 300% mark up on parts and charging nothing less than $120/hour on labour and diagnostics - take that away and it is no more expensive to repair than a high performance Japper.

One thing I really fear when it comes to failures on BMWs are sensors - they just seem to fail on a regular basis due to poor design or subcontracted parts - and seriously expensive to replace. (and if ignored, these will usually eventuate into larger mechanical faults and bigger bills)

Let me give you a run down on just a taste of some sensors I've had to procure for a couple of guys over the years that own E46s.

DSC Pressure sensor (retail $380+GST - private import $120)

Lambda (range from $550 to $700 retail - private import $220)

Actuators (retail $370+GST - private import $220)

So be prepared for a car of that age and mileage to throw a few sensor tantrums and be prepared to fork out about $500 per sensor.

Good luck !!

Edited by M3_Power

If you were a DIY sort of a guy or actually know anything about cars I'd say go ahead and buy it if it is a steal. If not, then you are buying into more future worries by the looks of things.

Lot of the stuff on that list can be DIY'd if you don't mind getting your hands dirty and at the same time learn a bit about cars (actually much more enjoyable when you can and know how to tinker and fix them - and have the right tools also).

But yes, modern BMWs are seriously expensive to fix - a lot of it I think is down to greedy dealers charging 300% mark up on parts and charging nothing less than $120/hour on labour and diagnostics - take that away and it is no more expensive to repair than a high performance Japper.

One thing I really fear when it comes to failures on BMWs are sensors - they just seem to fail on a regular basis due to poor design or subcontracted parts - and seriously expensive to replace. (and if ignored, these will usually eventuate into larger mechanical faults and bigger bills)

Let me give you a run down on just a taste of some sensors I've had to procure for a couple of guys over the years that own E46s.

So be prepared for a car of that age and mileage to throw a few sensor tantrums and be prepared to fork out about $500 per sensor.

Good luck !!

Hi there,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your constructive efforts and advice.

Whilst I am not greatly mechanically minded (from lack of experience) I do know that my father is a great mechanically minded person, he loves Mercedes and has been working on them for years, learning how to fix them on his own. I remember spending days with him driving to the other side of town to go and get parts out of wrecked vehicles at Pick Your Part and then 'helping' him fix the vehicles by holding a light or putting something in place.

He suggested that I learn to do some fixing on my own, I'm not daft nor am I of a low IQ and should so I be able to learn it so I think that's what I might do. If I can get the major things taken care of that were listed as first priority then I'd be happy to learn the rest and defer to him and anyone else willing to give good and constructive advice.

I think that is quite reasonable. All I need to take care of now is the major issues that need fixing, the rest I can figure out later.

Thanks,

Aslan

+1 mate dont buy a dud. It may seem as though all these ol geezers are giving you a lecture but infact most have learnt the hard way. I bought a cheaper e36 a few years back with a basic AA check and spent 15k on repairing it (my style of driving didn't help). Got rid of that and eventually bought something a lil nicer with a full service history. Hasnt cost me 1c of maintenance in the 2 years of ownership.

Still drives like a dream

Hi everyone, thanks for your advice.

I'm going to get BMWorkshop to email me a quote of how much it should be to fix the most important parts and then I'll take that quote to the dealer and ask them what they're willing to do in terms of repairing the vehicle or lowering the price, if they're willing to repair the major stuff then I'll still get the vehicle and fix the smaller things up later that don't require immediate attention.

I like the 330i and I appreciate advice not to purchase the vehicle, but actually, I will, as you all suggested, take the advice of the BMWorkshop who are the experts and stated that the condition of the vehicle is expected for something this age and that it just requires some things to be fixed before using it. If those things can be fixed by the dealer then I will take it.

Mate I dont want to be harsh but you are a f**king idiot!!!!

You have a whole bunch of experienced BMW owners & technicians saying DO NOT BUY.

Go waste someone elses time

Mate I dont want to be harsh but you are a f**king idiot!!!!

You have a whole bunch of experienced BMW owners & technicians saying DO NOT BUY.

Go waste someone elses time

I beg your pardon? I don't know who you think you are nor who you think you are talking to but don't EVER assume that you can talk in that manner to me.

How tragic it is that we have people on this earth that think that simply by insulting someone or using profane language at them that it would somehow make someone listen to them.

You should be ashamed of yourself for such an outburst.

Now back to the point. I, as suggested by members on this forum have sought the advice of the BMWorkshop through a full prepurchase inspection. BMWorkshop (experts this forum recommended) advised that the vehicle's condition is not unusual at all for a vehicle of this mileage and that certain things need to be worked on first. I have contacted the dealer to see what they'll be prepared to do to fix it and look forward to hearing back from them on Monday as to how far they would be willing to repair it. Based on the above I believe that I'm doing all of the correct things,

I certainly don't need your advice if it comes the way you have expressed it 1rotty, I may be somewhat mechanically challeneged with my current knowledge skill but don't ever assume that means that I'm stupid or uncalculating in my actions, I fully expected the vehicle to have some issues, now I'm just working out whether it would be worth it to purchase the vehicle and this will be evident when the dealer gets back to me.

Regards,

Aslan

Good luck !!

Mate, I WISH we could make 300% on parts!! Most parts we cant make 30% on...

If you have to finance the vehicle how are you ever going to pay for the repairs, 10g will buy you a very well maintained 318 E46 with no needed fixing other than regular servicing. Carolla's are cheap too.

If you have to finance the vehicle how are you ever going to pay for the repairs, 10g will buy you a very well maintained 318 E46 with no needed fixing other than regular servicing. Carolla's are cheap too.

That's why I'm getting quotes on fixing the issue and then I'll wait to hear what the dealer will do. If it's reasonable I'll fix the non urgent things bit by bit.

I beg your pardon? I don't know who you think you are nor who you think you are talking to but don't EVER assume that you can talk in that manner to me.

Dont flatter youself mate..I talk to all the idiots I run into the same way.

That's why I'm getting quotes on fixing the issue and then I'll wait to hear what the dealer will do. If it's reasonable I'll fix the non urgent things bit by bit.

If you can't afford a car you can't afford to fix it, simple, start at the bottom then work your way up to a nice car.

Edit: This is what a 330 should be like: http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....=36746&st=0

330 is the pinicle of the E46 brand before you go ///M, a disrespected one should be avoided at all costs because from experiance they'll keep on being a hedache.

Edited by Greg.

Mate, just for the sake of it, I'll say it one more time.

Here's an NZ New '99 328i sedan with 82kms and full tan leather (isn't that what you wanted?)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-387731267.htm

Best of all, it's $9,500.

This seems like much better value, and one with MUCH better resale if you ever decided to sell it.

Mate, just for the sake of it, I'll say it one more time.

Here's an NZ New '99 328i sedan with 82kms and full tan leather (isn't that what you wanted?)

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-387731267.htm

Best of all, it's $9,500.

This seems like much better value, and one with MUCH better resale if you ever decided to sell it.

Your advice is not falling on deaf ears. I mentioned earlier that I don't want this vehicle because it's not from a dealer and my finance is only for dealers. I'd rather not go apply for another finance company because every time you do so they look at your credit report, doing this again and again concerns finance companies and anyone else you apply for credit from because they then start believing you may have been denied credit and then deem you a higher risk and if your lucky enough to even get finance then (which you might not be) then your interest rates will go through the roof. So therefore, I'm interested in only purchasing from a dealer.

I do thank you for your trying to make sure I was aware though, it's greatly appreciated.