Sign in to follow this  
Aslan

Advice on whether to buy?

These look more like you mate, Nice and Tidy

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-391933736.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-380425804.htm

I would get a lower spec E46, E.g 320,323,325 and get the BEST possible car for your money.

E.g the best car of the 'worst'model. Not the worst car of the 'best'model.

Hell my Mrs has a 318 and its a pleasure to go for a spin in. I love it.

Don't be put off by the smaller engined E46's, for what you want they are actually ideal.

Dont flatter youself mate..I talk to all the idiots I run into the same way.

Please don't assume I'll stoop to your level and trade insults with you. It's conduct unbecoming of a gentleman.

+1 on a well maintained 318i. What will u be using your car for? Do you really need the extra horses and expenditure that will come with the list of problems from the pre-purchase inspection.

In reality a 318i will go a whole lot faster than a broken 330i sitting in a repair shop.... just my opinion.

Listen to Glenn and everyone else.

I haven't read through all this drama but I get the feeling that our friend Asian is is taking the piss - am I alone in this?

I saw the topic read 330, but your list of problems screamed E30... :ph34r:

It sounds like you really want this car, and you'll prob buy it and love it warts and all. Then you'll eventually get something a bit better and go wtf was I thinking...

Mate, I WISH we could make 300% on parts!! Most parts we cant make 30% on...

BMWNZ certainly does on some parts. A lot of parts I quoted above are 'retail' prices from abroad compared to retail prices from BMWNZ ... I've seen as high as 350% mark up on some parts ... others like you said, around 30%.

to the original poster, I'd also read the report with a grain of salt, chances are it has been written as a worst case scenario to also cover the writer's liability should something go wrong in the very near future. I'd take a friend well schooled in cars and have them give a second opinion also.

But looking at your list, the following I would DIY (with some of my comment on how hard it would be to do for a novice) - great opportunity to save some money and learn (trust me you'll enjoy and love a car more when you get your hands dirty and work on them)

Battery 10 years old / load test borderline (you'll need to find someone with a GT1 to register the battery)

Spark plugs worn (easy)

Brake fluid flush due (easy)

Brake shudder on motorway (easy to replace)

Rear brake pads low / all discs low (easy)

Passenger wing mirror adjustment not working (fiddly but easy)

Front tyres worn on edges (take to a tyre shop)

Recommend wheel alignment (take to a tyre shop)

Left front and rear rim buckle / all rims curb damage (take the wheels to a local repairer - about $50 each to straighten depending on extent of damage)

Left rear window regulator noisy (moderate, but great way to learn to take things apart - expensive part however)

Left rear carped damp - water leak inside ? (leaks are notoriously hard to track down, perhaps a door seal or window seal)

Oil dip stick breather hose split (easy)

Front brake hoses perished (easy)

Right front sway bar link play (easy, just torque it up properly to 44ft/lb)

Some board tools missing (easy to track down, but probably not necessary)

Normal wear and tear on body and interior (Small dents, etc) (call a dent magician)

Wheel speed sensor and interface faults in ABS - Not present CAN wheel speed faults in Transmission control unit - Not present Road test in wet condition (sensor fault most likely, easy to replace)

The rest you'll need special tools or access to a good hoist (unless you are comfortable on your back on the floor with the car up on jack stands - not recommended for a novice)

Edited by M3_Power

BMWNZ certainly does on some parts. A lot of parts I quoted above are 'retail' prices from abroad compared to retail prices from BMWNZ ... I've seen as high as 350% mark up on some parts ... others like you said, around 30%.

to the original poster, I'd also read the report with a grain of salt, chances are it has been written as a worst case scenario to also cover the writer's liability should something go wrong in the very near future. I'd take a friend well schooled in cars and have them give a second opinion also.

But looking at your list, the following I would DIY (with some of my comment on how hard it would be to do for a novice) - great opportunity to save some money and learn (trust me you'll enjoy and love a car more when you get your hands dirty and work on them)

Battery 10 years old / load test borderline (you'll need to find someone with a GT1 to register the battery)

Spark plugs worn (easy)

Brake fluid flush due (easy)

Brake shudder on motorway (easy to replace)

Rear brake pads low / all discs low (easy)

Passenger wing mirror adjustment not working (fiddly but easy)

Front tyres worn on edges (take to a tyre shop)

Recommend wheel alignment (take to a tyre shop)

Left front and rear rim buckle / all rims curb damage (take the wheels to a local repairer - about $50 each to straighten depending on extent of damage)

Left rear window regulator noisy (moderate, but great way to learn to take things apart - expensive part however)

Left rear carped damp - water leak inside ? (leaks are notoriously hard to track down, perhaps a door seal or window seal)

Oil dip stick breather hose split (easy)

Front brake hoses perished (easy)

Right front sway bar link play (easy, just torque it up properly to 44ft/lb)

Some board tools missing (easy to track down, but probably not necessary)

Normal wear and tear on body and interior (Small dents, etc) (call a dent magician)

Wheel speed sensor and interface faults in ABS - Not present CAN wheel speed faults in Transmission control unit - Not present Road test in wet condition (sensor fault most likely, easy to replace)

The rest you'll need special tools or access to a good hoist (unless you are comfortable on your back on the floor with the car up on jack stands - not recommended for a novice)

Hi there,

I would just like to say, thank you for your advice. You gave it in a very constructive manner and I appreciate you taking the time to tell me what I should be able to handle myself and hopefully learn about too. I also figured the report from BMWorkshop would be like that.

So what are the major and most important things in your opinion that would require fixing by a repairer? I've also sent a request for a quote from a repair shop which seems very reputable and am looking to get a figure shortly. They believe the vehicle just needs a good service.

Thanks again,

Aslan

Rotty1 is just saying what we're all thinking..it's a lemon, a dog, a peice of shite.. go learn to fix things on a cheaper car , your gonna get no enjoyment out of it, because while you may want to learn etc etc it's gonna take time which means your not gonna be able to drive the car days at a time

a post above me says you need a bloody computer to change batteries for christs sake! :huh:

everyone is saying don't buy it..you'll buy it then the maintanence section is gonna be full of questions and your gonna wonder why people will say I told you so or give you stick

It honestly sounds like your taking the piss still considering this car after that HUGE list and having atleast 2 people(there could be more) I know of who work with BMW's all day commenting on it saying avoid it....

also i've never heard of anyone having problems trying/applying at different finance companies..dunno if we're luckier down here in the South Island or someones blowing smoke up your arse..

Remove your emotions from this purchase and see it for what it is

Edited by HT.

Rotty1 is just saying what were all thinking..it's a lemon, a dog, a peice of shite.. go learn to fix things on a cheaper car , your gonna get no enjoyment out of it, because while you may want to learn etc etc it's gonna take time which means your not gonna be able to drive the car days at a time

According to the BMWorkshop, (people this forum recommended me to as the experts to trust) the vehicle is NOT a lemon. It just requires some work, some of which the dealer has indicated that they'll be prepared to fix. If it means that I can't use the vehicle for a couple of days at a time whilst I repair or replace certain parts then so be it, that doesn't bother me too much as I'll be moving closer to my work in the near future and if I learn whilst I do it then I can't lose.

a post above me says you need a bloody computer to change batteries for christs sake! :huh:

That's true, I don't even know how to change a car battery and I'm sure I'll need the internet to figure out how to do it. But I imagine it's not much different to changing the battery on anything.

I have also changed fuel pumps on a vehicle in the past on several occasions. That wasn't too difficult at all. If there's not anything I can do myself, I'll take it to someone who can. I know the most important rule is simply not to fiddle.

I'm not daft, nor am I stupid. I'm very intelligent and would be more than apt at learning how to fix the issues that aren't too urgent if I can learn how.

everyone is saying don't buy it..you'll buy it then the maintanence section is gonna be full of questions and your gonna wonder why people will say I told you so or give you stick

And what is the problem with asking questions about things I'd like to fix. If someone asks for my help with something I gladly offer my assistance, if people here don't want to do that then that is up to them. I'm sure I can find plenty of good people who are only too happy to provide their wisdom and advice to me.

Life is ultimately an apprenticeship, we learn how to do things from those who have knowledge, that is what learning is all about. I am thankful to God that I have had some very good people in my life to teach me what I've needed to learn and believe that I'll continue to find such people, and pass on the knowledge that I've gained the same way that I gained it.

It honestly sounds like your taking the piss still considering this car after that HUGE list and having atleast 2 people I know of who work with BMW's all day say avoid it....

I'm not doing that at all. Yes, I asked for advice on the forum and was given the advice by people who said they don't think I should buy the vehicle. I also spoke to the BMWorkshop, experts who actually viewed the vehicle and had no interest in me purchasing the vehicle and they stated to me that the vehicle is not abnormal for one that is of this mileage and just needed some things fixed. I also spoke to a repairer that I have had contact with in the past who has experience with BMW vehicles and listed the problems BMWorkshop told me about a and he stated, and I quote "It sounds like the vehicle just needs a very good service".

And so, I did what I should have and spoke to the dealer, I sent him an email with the quote and spoke to him this morning and he stated that he'll look over the quote and speak to his colleagues and see what they're prepared to repair.

As far as I'm aware, I've done EVERYTHING that I should have done in this instance and am waiting to hear back for another quote to fix the issues mentioned and waiting to hear back from the dealer. Once I have that information I should be equipped with enough information to make a decision as to whether to proceed or not.

also i've never heard of anyone having problems trying/applying at different finance companies..dunno if we're luckier down here in the South Island or someones blowing smoke up your arse..

Perhaps you should learn more about the finance industry and how a credit report works then. It's in everyone's interest to do so.

You see the credit report can only list so much information, it states your interactions with applying for credit. It will only state however that you've applied and what type of finance you've applied for ie credit card, overdraft, loan etc. It will not state whether you were approved or not and certainly won't state why you were or were not.

Therefore, when you apply for credit from numerous places, they begin to be concerned because they may think you are over extended, or they may believe that you were rejected by the other companies for a reason they're unaware of and may see you as a much greater risk and may reject you, or at best, raise the interest rates to a ridiculous amount.

Remove your emotions from this purchase and see it for what it is

I have removed my emotions. I've done all I should. Edited by Aslan

This has turned into a headache, let him be

I would think that you would be making the wrong decision to purchase the vehicle based on what you have posted. However, as I said in my email...I havent seen or checked the vehicle. At the end of the day it has to be your decission. If you were my customer (client) and I compiled this list of faults in a pre-purchase inspection.. I would advise you not to purchase it. I haven't checked it.. I can only go on what you have posted and emailed me.

I think this sums it up pretty well.

Think about it, BMWorkshop only want you to buy it so you can go to them to do the repairs- as any other workshop would.

I don't see why you need 40 different people to tell you not to buy it, especially if you cant fix FA of it your self.

I think this sums it up pretty well.

Think about it, BMWorkshop only want you to buy it so you can go to them to do the repairs- as any other workshop would.

I don't see why you need 40 different people to tell you not to buy it, especially if you cant fix FA of it your self.

I find the assertion that you've made about the BMWorkshop to be highly offensive. They are a reputable company and they are well respected in the industry as many can attest to. To think they would prefer me to purchase the vehicle just so they can repair it is outrageous.

Please excuse me while I find a brick wall to smash my head against, like everyone else is currently doing while reading this frustrating thread

First off, I know plenty about finance mate, I employ a personal finacial advisor/planner to manage my business stuff...but this thread is not a sh*t slinging contest really it's not about finance or to make anyone seem like a bigshot.

So stop trying to be some smart arse "I'm a gentleman know it all" talking down to people like your sh*t don't stink on here...it's not gonna do you any favours when you need help with that attitude.

At the end of the day your looking at a uncared for, clapped out 330i that WILL devlop more issues after you fix the current ones so maybe you should stop worrying about finances and gentleman like conduct and learn about common sense and the real world, and accept the advise and strong warnings people on here are giving

Any workshop will tell you to buy it because itas a instant money maker for them because you sound like a sucker

Theres some sound advise here in the form of stay the hell away from the car...99% of people would have listen to it..they're the smart ones..guess what the other 1% are...

In before the lock

I find the assertion that you've made about the BMWorkshop to be highly offensive. They are a reputable company and they are well respected in the industry as many can attest to. To think they would prefer me to purchase the vehicle just so they can repair it is outrageous.

Please refer to my avatar.

Oh for f**ks sake :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Edited by HT.

First off, I know plenty about finance mate, I employ a personal finacial advisor/planner to manage my business stuff...but this thread is not a sh*t slinging contest really it's not about finance or to make anyone seem like a bigshot.

You are the one slinging here. I stated the reason why I wasn't seeking finance somehwere else and you insulted me acting as if I didn't know what I was talking about and so I gave the exact reason with an explanation which is common knowledge in the finance industry, something you should know. That is clarifying, not slinging and the only one who could be accused of that accurately is you.

So stop trying to be some smart arse "I'm a gentleman know it all" talking down to people like your sh*t don't stink on here...it's not gonna do you any favours when you need help with that attitude.

Who's trying to be smart here? I prefer not to conduct myself like you do and I don't like trading insults with someone in person let alone with someone over the internet. If you don't know how to speak in an appropriate manner then that's unfortunate, but don't get angry at me about that.

If you find the manner in which I speak to be akin to speaking down to you then I apologize, it's certainly not intended to sound that way. I just speak to people as I like to be spoken to, politely and without vulgarity and as a gentleman. Does that make me better than you or make me think I'm better than you. No, but I would hope that if someone spoke to you politely, that you would do the same. If not, then that is your choice.

At the end of the day your looking at a uncared for, clapped out 330i that WILL devlop more issues after you fix the current ones so maybe you should stop worrying about finances and gentleman like conduct and learn about common sense and the real world, and accept the advise and strong warnings people on here are giving

We'll see what the dealer is prepared to fix. We'll also see how much the workshop I'm interested in taking it to will charge to fix it?

Any workshop will tell you to buy it because itas a instant money maker for them because you sound like a sucker

So you're stating that the people here gave me bad advice in taking it to the BMWorkshop?

Theres some sound advise here in the form of stay the hell away from the car...99% of people would have listen to it..they're the smart ones..guess what the other 1% are...

M3 Power seems to understand where I'm coming from and doesn't seem unreasonable.

I dont know if anyones mentioned this yet but arent M54s notorious for

overheating/warping etc. when the cooling system isnt maintained?

Errrr this car is in urgent need of cooling system maintenance

so engine failure could be on the list next maybe haha

Aslan remember these are just the current faults with the vehicle

Murphys law states..

'when you have fixed this load of problems a new load of problems will be waiting'

I dont know how much your paying for the vehicle but if you have to finance it

your spending too much on what is essentially a project car

The guys on here really do know what they are talking about for the most part

and no offence but by the sounds of it you know nearly nothing about cars/mechanics.

In the end its your call but do you really think your qualified to dispute

what BMW mechanics and long time bmw owners/fanatics have to say about the

purchase of this car?

ps +1 for this car is a lemon haha

Radiator discolored and starts to leak 700 +gst

Top radiator hose discolored 100 +gst with radiator Lower coolant return hose swollen 80 +gst with radiator Water pump developing play 280 +gst

Coolant weak 80 +gst

Power steering hoses from reservoir leaking 380 +gst Main drive belt cracked 110 +gst

Spark plugs worn 200 +gst

Oil dip stick breather hose split 50 +gst

Battery 10 years old / load test borderline 230 +gst

I spoke to a repair shop who said it just sounded as if it requires a very good service.

That is approximate and inclusive of labour. The rest was:

Brake fluid flush due 80 +gst Fuel filter due 200 +gst

A/C micro filter dirty 75 +gst

A/c low on gas / hissing 150 +gst Brake shudder on motorway

Rear brake pads low / all discs low

Front brake hoses perished 250 +gst

Front brake pads and discs 430 +gst

Rear brake discs and pads 570 +gst (to check handbrake shoes) Recommend wheel alignment 70 +gst

Engine sump gasket leaking ~ 500 +gst

Left front and rear rim buckle / all rims curb damage $ ?

200 dollars for spark plugs?!?!?! what are they made of?? give me 200 and ill change it for ya!! fuel filter also 200 wtf did that in like 2 hours and cost me less that 80 bucks... brake hose = brake line?? bought stainless steels for my e38 for only 100 bucks a full set changed it in an afternoon. radiator you can probably get for around 400 + an afternoon worth of work

Edited by Docile

I dont know if anyones mentioned this yet but arent M54s notorious for

overheating/warping etc. when the cooling system isnt maintained?

I would have thought that any engine would have this problem if the cooling system is not maintained right?

Errrr this car is in urgent need of cooling system maintenance

so engine failure could be on the list next maybe haha

Which is why I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer as to what they'd be prepared to fix.

Aslan remember these are just the current faults with the vehicle

Murphys law states..

'when you have fixed this load of problems a new load of problems will be waiting'

No doubt, that's life.

I dont know how much your paying for the vehicle but if you have to finance it

your spending too much on what is essentially a project car

The current agreement on price with the dealer is $9000. If they're prepared to repair most of the major stuff then I am sure I can take care of the rest. I plan to do more than they've mentioned anyway.

The guys on here really do know what they are talking about for the most part

and no offence but by the sounds of it you know nearly nothing about cars/mechanics.

In the end its your call but do you really think your qualified to dispute

what BMW mechanics and long time bmw owners/fanatics have to say about the

purchase of this car?

I believe you and the rest on here that they know a lot about the vehicles. I'm also not saying that I'm qualified to dispute mechanics and bmw owners have to say about the purchase of the car. I am however quoting what experts that this forum directed me to and who have actually done a thorough pre purchase inspection have said about the vehicle. I don't think that is unreasonable nor inappropriate.

200 dollars for spark plugs?!?!?! what are they made of?? give me 200 and ill change it for ya!! fuel filter also 200 wtf did that in like 2 hours and cost me less that 80 bucks... brake hose = brake line?? bought stainless steels for my e38 for only 100 bucks a full set changed it in an afternoon. radiator you can probably get for around 400 + an afternoon worth of work

I figured as much Docile, I expected the quote from BMWorkshop to be higher than it would normally be at other workshops as they're usually charging a higher amount for labour and parts.

My father has also directed me towards someone offshore that has cheap parts he regularly purchases from for his Mercedes that work really well. I also imagine that I'd be able to find a lot of the parts here at cheaper prices.

It's a matter of learning how to fix it all too.

Thank you for your advice.

EDIT: To clarify, the parts are OEM and suitable for NZ New vehicles.

Edited by Aslan

Are you related to Heino?

Are you related to Heino?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the amount of money and work you will need to spend to get it reliable and running is not worth it. a badly maintained bmw more often leads to cascading problems and will be an unnecessary ongoing expense, especially the cooling. you need to think about how long has it been running with a bad cooling system? has it been overheated?: can lead to cracking and brittleness of plastic parts in the engine.

if its this badly maintained you need to ask yourself did the previous owner just trash it around? if so you may get a lot more headache later on as you find out. bmw parts aint cheap and some problems you need to bring into a workshop to sort out.

cascading problems + normal wear and tear = compiling costs. if you have a lot of cash to burn and not minding losing a couple of grand more from resale then go for it. You should try and haggle the price down more. point out the problems.

but if i were you I would wait for a better car. there are a lot of nice 328i for sale at around 10k even at dealers. 328 and 330 there is not much difference on public roads.

Heed the warnings of experts and long time BMW owners here. they are not just saving you from financial hardship but also helping you in getting an enjoyable car you can actually drive more than being parked in the garage.

the amount of money and work you will need to spend to get it reliable and running is not worth it. a badly maintained bmw more often leads to cascading problems and will be an unnecessary ongoing expense, especially the cooling. you need to think about how long has it been running with a bad cooling system? has it been overheated?: can lead to cracking and brittleness of plastic parts in the engine.

if its this badly maintained you need to ask yourself did the previous owner just trash it around? if so you may get a lot more headache later on as you find out. bmw parts aint cheap and some problems you need to bring into a workshop to sort out.

Very good questions. I have directed these to the BMWorkshop too and will see what they think in terms of whether there are any issues with the engine. Within a couple of years I intend to change the engine for one with lower kilometers. I was advised that this is cheaper than doing a reconditioning.

cascading problems + normal wear and tear = compiling costs. if you have a lot of cash to burn and not minding losing a couple of grand more from resale then go for it. You should try and haggle the price down more. point out the problems.

I will take that into consideration too, once I hear back from the dealer about what they're prepared to fix I'll see what I can do about lowering the price further.

but if i were you I would wait for a better car. there are a lot of nice 328i for sale at around 10k even at dealers. 328 and 330 there is not much difference on public roads.

Agreed. But if I can get a 330i I can work on and get most of the major issues fixed by the dealer then I'm happy to put in the hard work. I don't really intend to sell the vehicle unless I leave the country.

Heed the warnings of experts and long time BMW owners here. they are not just saving you from financial hardship but also helping you in getting an enjoyable car you can actually drive more than being parked in the garage.

And I thank them and you for that. At the moment I'm trying to ascertain whether it would be worth getting the vehicle. I can understand that the vehicle might not be running at its best straight away but if most of the major issues get fixed then I have no problems with fixing the rest bit by bit as a project. I'll wait to hear back from the dealer.