Sign in to follow this  
Scorched_onion

E30 1990 318i m40b18 upgrades?

Hey there, new to this forum. Just picked myself up a 1990 BMW 318i with an m40B18 and as some of you probably know, not exactly the fastest car around. I was originally planning on rebuilding the engine with worked cams, high comp pistons, chipped ecu etc. But am wondering if its worth swapping in an m42b18 or turboing the m40? how hard is it to swap an m42 into a 318i? or even turboing the m40? ive read that its not worth modding the m40 and it'd be better to do an engine swap for the money. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

+1 on the m50, good bang for buck.

Or an sr20det? :D

SR20det would be awesome but too much work. I want some economy, being a student, so don't think m50 is for me. Im keen on an M42B18 swap though. Does anyone know if an m42 will bolt up to my 318i tranny?

Thanks for advice so far.

Welcome, wise colour choice :D

m42's arent that much cheaper either, and iirc, the m40 gearbox wont bolt on. plus you'll be having a look at e36 m42's as there weren't many e30 m42's imported

Welcome, wise colour choice :D

m42's arent that much cheaper either, and iirc, the m40 gearbox wont bolt on. plus you'll be having a look at e36 m42's as there weren't many e30 m42's imported

I would love the power and sound of an m50 but being a student and not too much experience i don't think an m50 swap would be for me considering all of the work included and the petrol usage. Someone on bimmerforums thinks an m42 would bolt up to an m40 tranny and that its pretty straight foward.

What would you do?

So what would be the easiest option for a bit of torque and power gain on a budget? I dont exactly need all the power of an m52b28 and an m50b25 might even be a little overkill for what i want. I just want something that can spin the wheels, doesn't cost the world on petrol. And can accelerate nicely with a bit of torque to push you back in the seat and for boosting out of corners and things. I'd like it to have the least amount of work possible aswell.

Do you know if i could use my transmission and drivetrain from an m40b18 with an m20b25?

Pretty sure you cant, can some times pick a m20 manual conversion kit up for $400~ tho, otherwise they seem to go for $500 - $700.

Hey there, new to this forum. Just picked myself up a 1990 BMW 318i with an m40B18 and as some of you probably know, not exactly the fastest car around. I was originally planning on rebuilding the engine with worked cams, high comp pistons, chipped ecu etc. But am wondering if its worth swapping in an m42b18 or turboing the m40? how hard is it to swap an m42 into a 318i? or even turboing the m40? ive read that its not worth modding the m40 and it'd be better to do an engine swap for the money. What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

If you don't want to change engines and have to certify $$$ I suppose

extractors

Exhaust System

lightened flywheel

Chipped ECU

they all don't have to be done at once, just over time

If you don't want to change engines and have to certify $$$ I suppose

extractors

Exhaust System

lightened flywheel

Chipped ECU

they all don't have to be done at once, just over time

I think an m42 swap would be good but the only problem i can think of is wiring, because of it coming out of an e36. No one seems to think that modding an m40 is worth it and that an engine swap is much better. M42 being good because they share the same block but different heads and m42 has chain etc. Does anyone have any resources on such a swap?

thanks for advice so far.

What is your budget? if you know how much you are willing to spend then you can narrow down your options, if your in the wellington area I got a m20b25 motor which would be a good upgrade. Although you would need a matching gearbox, starter motor, flywheel, computer... so might not be worth it ??

I think an m42 swap would be good but the only problem i can think of is wiring, because of it coming out of an e36. No one seems to think that modding an m40 is worth it and that an engine swap is much better. M42 being good because they share the same block but different heads and m42 has chain etc. Does anyone have any resources on such a swap?

thanks for advice so far.

currently pulling an engine complete out of an E36

either way a repower isn't cheap

what is your budget?

Have an m52b28 manual conversion for e30 if your interested. 2800 but a bit negotiable. I'll fit it for extra if you are in Wellington.

Have an m52b28 manual conversion for e30 if your interested. 2800 but a bit negotiable. I'll fit it for extra if you are in Wellington.

Nah mate in hamilton, I would be so keen if i had the money. Im just trying to get an idea of what i should do for a small cost. At the moment im keen on m42 because of simplicity and room for extra mods (turbo) but don't have the actual funds at the moment. The only problem i can see with the m42 is the wiring. Does anyone have any information about wiring different bmw engines to other chassis and what usually needs to be done etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Nah mate in hamilton, I would be so keen if i had the money. Im just trying to get an idea of what i should do for a small cost. At the moment im keen on m42 because of simplicity and room for extra mods (turbo) but don't have the actual funds at the moment. The only problem i can see with the m42 is the wiring. Does anyone have any information about wiring different bmw engines to other chassis and what usually needs to be done etc?

Any help is appreciated.

I'd do the m52b28 conversion, as the m42 would most likely cost the same

either way you will be spending over 3k easy

They race the M40B18 in the E30 series and it is competitive

how about sticking with it and making it breath better

and as for turbo,why not turbo the M40??

I have M42/43 SS headers, can do cheap.

sorry to hijack,

Wayney, have you got M20 stainless headers could you pm me a pic and price

cheers

Jon

What about using the race series chip and cam plus an exhaust system and tuning the car to suit the mods? Probably smallest budget upgrade without major hassles

I'd do the m52b28 conversion, as the m42 would most likely cost the same

either way you will be spending over 3k easy

They race the M40B18 in the E30 series and it is competitive

how about sticking with it and making it breath better

and as for turbo,why not turbo the M40??

Apparantly m40s timing belts fail.

just put a good branded new one on... all cambelts can fail..it takes awhile unless theres huuuuuge strain or they're faulty im sure.