Sign in to follow this  
Aslan

Alarm System on an 2000 BMW 330i?

Hi everyone.

I know this might sound like a silly question, but I'm wondering if there is a factory alarm system and immobilizer on a 2000 BMW 330i? It wasn't mentioned by the dealer but when I check the owner's manual it states that there is an alarm system and immobilizer. There's also a light just below the rear view mirror which flashes when I lock the car like an alarm system would.

I could probably go and test it out later but I just thought I'd ask?

Thanks,

Aslan

Hi everyone.

I know this might sound like a silly question, but I'm wondering if there is a factory alarm system and immobilizer on a 2000 BMW 330i? It wasn't mentioned by the dealer but when I check the owner's manual it states that there is an alarm system and immobilizer. There's also a light just below the rear view mirror which flashes when I lock the car like an alarm system would.

I could probably go and test it out later but I just thought I'd ask?

Thanks,

Aslan

If the light flashes under the mirror when locked then it will have the factory alarm in it, indicators should also flash when you lock it. I had the red light underneath my old car but it didn't flash so it didn't have the alarm. 99% sure but i could be wrong?

Edited by Jedi Mind Tricks

If the light flashes under the mirror when locked then it will have the factory alarm in it, indicators should also flash when you lock it. I had the red light underneath my old car but it didn't flash so it didn't have the alarm. 99% sure but i could be wrong?

Hi there!

Mine does flash and the indicators do flash but I am not quite sure that it's an actual alarm installed. I think it just is ready for one. Apparently they're not too difficult to put in.

It could have or at least be prepped for alarm.

I any case it has factory immobilisation so the car will NOT go without the proper key.

So having the warning LED as a deterent - even if no alarm - it is probably not woth bothering with adding

As Grant mentioned the car has EWS II from factory so is imobilised when locked, if the red light blinks whilst the car is locked then i would suggest it has an alarm also, siren is located in the right rear wheel guard.

test it.

leave your windows down, lock car so LED flashes.

stick your arm in window, if alarm sounds you have internal sensors.

If not unlock the door using the internal lock and open door.

You should be able to work it out from there..!

There should also be a alarm fuse, possibly in the boot fuse box location. Check it has a fuse and isn't blown.

Edited by M5V8

Interesting, I touch the vehicle when it's locked and try open the door and the alarm doesn't go off. Do I need to get it activated? I might have to install sensors and the siren I think.

Interesting, I touch the vehicle when it's locked and try open the door and the alarm doesn't go off. Do I need to get it activated? I might have to install sensors and the siren I think.

try to open the door? did you open it?

touching the car or trying the door handle wont set off the majority of alarms. You will need to open the door for the alarm to notice the door trigger or interior light voltage drop.

If it is a jap import I would doubt you have the alarm, mine does the same flashes the indicators and the clown nose flashes but this is because I activated the alarm which you can do without the actual alarm.

try to open the door? did you open it?

touching the car or trying the door handle wont set off the majority of alarms. You will need to open the door for the alarm to notice the door trigger or interior light voltage drop.

I'll give this a go on my break! Thanks

If it is a jap import I would doubt you have the alarm, mine does the same flashes the indicators and the clown nose flashes but this is because I activated the alarm which you can do without the actual alarm.

Mine is NZ New.

Using the key to open the door didn't seem to set off an alarm either. Must not have the siren and sensors installed?

Using the key to open the door didn't seem to set off an alarm either. Must not have the siren and sensors installed?

The factory alarm can be programmed to respect (or not) unlocking with the key as a way of disarming the car. IIRC it respects the key unlock by default.

Why not get a build sheet to see if it actually has one (alarm) from factory? If there is one then test and see if it actually working. The fact about key unlocking and internal sensors can be programmed.

Maybe get a workshop (or someone has a BMW scanner) to check your alarm programing.

Why not get a build sheet to see if it actually has one (alarm) from factory? If there is one then test and see if it actually working. The fact about key unlocking and internal sensors can be programmed.

Maybe get a workshop (or someone has a BMW scanner) to check your alarm programing.

I sent an email to a dealer asking them to retrieve the build sheet for it. Hopefully they can get one.

man....using the key in the door is just like using the remote...

Like I said before.

lock the car with the window rolled down. Wait 1 min for it to arm.

Stick your arm in the window move it around. No alarm? no interior sensors.

Reach your arm in the window and unlock the door (from the inside), open door.

No alarm? ... answer.

Like I said before.

No alarm? ... answer.

I tried it and guess what.. The car started beeping even before I put my hand in, all I had to do was stand next to it pretty close so I guess it is alarmed! How awesome is that!?

Thanks for the help!

welcome

Your interior sensor will have leaked outside the car with the window down and picked up your movement.

welcome

Your interior sensor will have leaked outside the car with the window down and picked up your movement.

AWESOME. I'm really happy with this car.

happy to hear that Aslan.

If you have a dog / kiddies etc you can disable the interior sensors independently as well.

Should be a second push on the lock remote within 5 sec and the LED will confirm with a static light for a few seconds.

Only found that a few months back....used to drive me mad when my dog kept setting off the alarm.

Silly dog likes being in the drivers seat. Like her dad. :lol:

happy to hear that Aslan.

If you have a dog / kiddies etc you can disable the interior sensors independently as well.

Should be a second push on the lock remote within 5 sec and the LED will confirm with a static light for a few seconds.

Only found that a few months back....used to drive me mad when my dog kept setting off the alarm.

Silly dog likes being in the drivers seat. Like her dad. :lol:

LOL! Well the apple has not fallen far from the tree then I guess!

I'll keep that in mind if I get a dog or kids :-P

Like I said before.

No alarm? ... answer.

I just tried that with my car, locked it with window down, and i tried opening the door from the inside and it doesn't open(has an alarm its gone off before). Why is that? Can lock people inside the car with me :P

deadlocked?

did you use key or remote?

I held the key down for a few seconds so the windows would wind down (unlocked) then hit lock and tried it and you cant open it from the inside, even when you are inside the car driving along and stop and lock the car you cant open it up.

that doesn't sound right.

are you saying you can't unlock the car at all from within at all.

I'm sure you can in mine as long as you don't deadlock.