Sign in to follow this  
BLWNE30

Newbie to Bimmersport

Hi everyone,

Currently based in Wellington, enjoying the world of IT, with a healthy dose of Motorsport added to the mix. Was enjoying the world of E30 Bmw's until recently when I mentioned I was going to sell it... Moving on from the overheating issues, the "no fuel no spark" issues, and the oil leaks, I thought everything was going well... Until tonight, when I started it up, reversed it out, and then it died... thats it, it simply died! It has fuel this time, but no spark, so I'm leaning towards the coil? Surely not the crank position sensor again?

Anyway, will post this in the appropriate forum, and no doubt I'll become a regular on the forum.

Cheers,

Harry

1988 320i

Hi everyone,

Currently based in Wellington, enjoying the world of IT, with a healthy dose of Motorsport added to the mix. Was enjoying the world of E30 Bmw's until recently when I mentioned I was going to sell it... Moving on from the overheating issues, the "no fuel no spark" issues, and the oil leaks, I thought everything was going well... Until tonight, when I started it up, reversed it out, and then it died... thats it, it simply died! It has fuel this time, but no spark, so I'm leaning towards the coil? Surely not the crank position sensor again?

Anyway, will post this in the appropriate forum, and no doubt I'll become a regular on the forum.

Cheers,

Harry

1988 320i

Check distributer cap/rotor they get moisture and or corrosion in them round this time of year

Hi everyone,

Cheers,

Harry

1988 320i

Hi Harry,

Welcome and bad luck

check for spark from the coil, rather than the spark plugs ends, then if no spark;

check for power at the coil

check also that the water pump pulley hasn't cut through the crank position sensor

failing that pop in and see me

cheers

Jon

BLWNE30? Blown as in "up" or as in forced induction?

If it doesn't blow up before it sells, and if it doesnt sell it will become turboed.

Went out to it this morning, turned over and fired into life. All seemed okay, turned off, wouldn't start again... There's definatly fuel, but no spark im assuming. Can smell fuel, so might be over fueling?

Cheers for the help there Jon, will have a check tonight, otherwise it might be coming into see you.

Cheers,

Harry

Check distributer cap/rotor they get moisture and or corrosion in them round this time of year

Must. Not. Rise. To. Bait.

Starting issue seems to have mysteriously fixed itself - Possibly was moisture in the distributor cap/rotor that has tried out.

Now when the car is idling, it rises from 800rpm to 1500rpm, back to almost stalling before rising again to 500rpm then back up to 1200rpm. Possibly a leaky vacuum hose? Not too sure where to start looking though.

Cheers,

Harry

Pop in ans see John at JK southern Euro I just replaced the butterfly bypass valve thingy with a second hand one from him in my car and now it idles perfectly.

Today I installed new plugs, in the event that they had been oiled up. Didn't appear to be the case, but put new plugs in anyway.... Car starts fine, but when I turn the key off, the far right Green service led flashes... Any clues on what thats about? Did an oil change as well, but need to get light reset etc.

Cheers