Sign in to follow this  
BLWNE30

'88 320i won't start

Hi guys,

Yes, I'm a new member to the forum, but not the the wonderful world of european cars (read, sarcasm). As mentioned above, I have a 1988 320i Bmw... Engine wise, totally standard 2L, apart from an exhaust system and pod filter.

I've had a few issues with it once I mentioned I was selling it... From the overheating dramas, to the oil leaks, to the oil light flickering (the alternator belt had chewed through the wiring), to the crank position sensor breaking.. anyway, the list goes on.

Today's issue - I started the car, reversed out the driveway, where it died... Tried cranking it over, but no luck. Pulled a plug out, suprised suprise, we have fuel, but no spark. This leads me to think it could be the coil?

Anyway, am over the issues with it, and just want it gone now.

Any help is appreciated,

Cheers,

Harry

coils are very reliable so i dought that , normally they will have no spark when there is no signal from teh crank shaft sensor , so you need to check that first .

also check the wiring and plugs from the sensor all teh way back to the ecu .

dry solder joints in the ecu or cooked ecu.

faulty or intermitant ecu relay or alarm wiring etc.

check the dizzy and rotor if rotor has cracked fallen off inside etc .

Starting issue seems to have mysteriously fixed itself - Possibly was moisture in the distributor cap/rotor that has tried out.

Now when the car is idling, it rises from 800rpm to 1500rpm, back to almost stalling before rising again to 500rpm then back up to 1200rpm. Possibly a leaky vacuum hose? Not too sure where to start looking though.

Cheers,

Harry

Starting issue seems to have mysteriously fixed itself - Possibly was moisture in the distributor cap/rotor that has tried out.

Now when the car is idling, it rises from 800rpm to 1500rpm, back to almost stalling before rising again to 500rpm then back up to 1200rpm. Possibly a leaky vacuum hose? Not too sure where to start looking though.

Cheers,

Harry

i would just check everything.

then you know . if not sure take it to a good bmw garage

Today I installed new plugs, in the event that they had been oiled up. Didn't appear to be the case, but put new plugs in anyway.... Car starts fine, but when I turn the key off, the far right Green service led flashes... Any clues on what thats about? Did an oil change as well, but need to get light reset etc.

Cheers