Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

is the e30 worth getting repaired after the latest crash?

Can someone please tell me if its worth repairing. no speed involved this time just some idiot in the ice who decided to stop infront of me which resulted in me swerving out the way and hitting the curb. I have a photo of it. I have lost power steering wheel jutters like crazy and is scraping against wheel arch. The passanger footwell has been pushed up and i can smell gas really strongly. Here are a few pics of the damage:

Thats the wheel are tyre hitting the wheel arch it was scraping as i drove along, there is also a huge bend in the tie rod end and control arm:

Posted Image

I will get some more pics up when the weather clears.

I just gave it a $300 service last week so would be a shame to part it but if its going to cost me more to fix i will part it.

Have a look in the engine bay at the strut towers and also the chassie rails to make sure you havent bent the actual body. Engine hasn't ripped off it's mounts has it?

Wouldn't be much in parts to fix it if the body is straight. Control arm, tie rod, complete strut, maybe swaybar, and of course another wheel.

Really need more detailed photos

Have a look in the engine bay at the strut towers and also the chassie rails to make sure you havent bent the actual body. Engine hasn't ripped off it's mounts has it?

Wouldn't be much in parts to fix it if the body is straight. Control arm, tie rod, complete strut, maybe swaybar, and of course another wheel.

Really need more detailed photos

Was just going for a drive when some little asian man in a nissan micra slammed on his breaks. My e30 breaks and the best and the snow didnt help and yeah straight into the curb.

Was just going for a drive when some little asian man in a nissan micra slammed on his breaks. My e30 breaks and the best and the snow didnt help and yeah straight into the curb.

You really got to keep an eye out for those "idiots" driving in the snow....

only you know the answer to that....the cost of repairing the E30 will probably be "more than its worth",but what is the new car going to cost(and what do you actually know about it?)

Perhaps now would be a good time to invest in a push bike... for everone elses sake....

But as flake said, need more pics.

Perhaps now would be a good time to invest in a push bike... for everone elses sake....

At least they are rwd

At least they are rwd

I have some more photos. The control arm has been replaced but just need a few other bits and pieces and it should be good to go. Engine mounts were a little loose but have been tightened.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

You need E30 M3 control arm bushings LOL

Edit: why is this guys insurance not paying for this? were you up his ass or driving too fast for the conditions or something? i dont see how he could stop so suddenly yet you cant?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

You need E30 M3 control arm bushings LOL

Edit: why is this guys insurance not paying for this? were you up his ass or driving too fast for the conditions or something? i dont see how he could stop so suddenly yet you cant?

Following distance was a good 20m and was going probabyl 30k, He just slammed on the breaks for no apparent reason i done the same and just kept sliding and sliding and eventually hit the curb. He just drove off as although nothing happened.

I hate to say it but it is not the guy in the Micra's fault. You can argue it as much as you like but at the end of the day Mitch failed to stop safely so any insurance that would be paying will be his own.

Edited by e38king

I hate to say it but it is not the guy in the Micra's fault. You can argue it as much as you like but at the end of the day Mitch failed to stop safely so any insurance that would be paying will be his own.

Its allgood i am only covered for 3rd party fire and theft so wouldnt have really made a difference.

Its allgood i am only covered for 3rd party fire and theft so wouldnt have really made a difference.

Mitch, thats all very well but if you had hit his car - his insurance company would be after yours who in turn would penalise you (excess etc) for having been in the wrong. As stated above - you must drive at a distance to be able to stop short of the person in front, regardless if they jump on the brakes. At the end of the day - you were both driving on the same road surface.

Good luck with the repair - it does look minor

Mitch, thats all very well but if you had hit his car - his insurance company would be after yours who in turn would penalise you (excess etc) for having been in the wrong. As stated above - you must drive at a distance to be able to stop short of the person in front, regardless if they jump on the brakes. At the end of the day - you were both driving on the same road surface.

Good luck with the repair - it does look minor

Yeah i know :) repair should be all completed by tommorow. I thought it was huge damage just by the way it handled just after the crash lol

Can someone please tell me if its worth repairing. no speed involved this time just some idiot in the ice who decided to stop infront of me which resulted in me swerving out the way and hitting the curb. I have a photo of it. I have lost power steering wheel jutters like crazy and is scraping against wheel arch. The passanger footwell has been pushed up and i can smell gas really strongly. Here are a few pics of the damage:

Thats the wheel are tyre hitting the wheel arch it was scraping as i drove along, there is also a huge bend in the tie rod end and control arm:

Posted Image

I will get some more pics up when the weather clears.

I just gave it a $300 service last week so would be a shame to part it but if its going to cost me more to fix i will part it.

All is up and running again now. in the end required the following

Control arm

Tie rod end

Sway bar link

Sway bar link bracket

Wheel alignment