Sign in to follow this  
central3

M3 make over

And here I was considering myself a 'fussy' car owner... I think you've re-defined the term!

Can't wait to see what you're going to do next!

p.s. If you ever consider selling your car shotgun first in line :P

Yes a bit obsessive/compulsive I'm afraid but the car is starting to look real nice - I have been wanting one of these since 2000 when a sat in one at a dealers yard - keen to have it as tidy as possible but got a bit carried away

Yes a bit obsessive/compulsive I'm afraid but the car is starting to look real nice - I have been wanting one of these since 2000 when a sat in one at a dealers yard - keen to have it as tidy as possible but got a bit carried away

My view on all this... Do it once do it right!!! I am exactly like you, although my situation is a little different as I have a 15 year old car (M3 though :)). I am replacing most of the suspension parts in my car for the new genuine ones. Apart from adjustable rear control arms, and new polyurethane bushes for the trailing arms, diff, and rear subframe the rest of the parts are all genuine or Meyle HD stuff. I wish my paint was in the same condition as your one, then I would just get a proper cut and polish and would be happy with it. But I think I might need to respray some panels. Keep on the good work!!! This kinda inspires me to do mine lol :)

Edited by swordfish

Unfortunately you're gonna have to drive it at some stage.

Yeah I know - with most (nice) cars I have owned I regulary (4 times a year) clean the under side of the car so apart from enjoying every moment of the work I am doing at the moment the new paint finishes will allow easier cleaning

Not much progress as I had to replace the steering rack in my daughters 325i over the weekend (thanks Ray - your rack as supplied was a good price and passed the WOF no problem). M3 diff back in, wheel back from having the kurbing removed ($110) and rear bumper back on - 1 more weekend should do it

post-3258-1317622158.jpg

post-3258-1317622180.jpg

post-3258-1317622193.jpg

Looking great, and loving the attention to detail, but.....

I certainly hope replacing the 'Champiro' tyres is at the top of the priority list....

I certainly hope replacing the 'Champiro' tyres is at the top of the priority list....

I would love to but they are brand new (fitted by previous owner) and my darling wife says I'm not allowed to spend any more money on it ;-(

If you looking for tyres, go with the new goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 2.I just fitted them on my m3, and they are amazing in dry and wet. They just stick to the road. It is a bit expensive but safety first.

If you looking for tyres, go with the new goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric 2.I just fitted them on my m3, and they are amazing in dry and wet. They just stick to the road. It is a bit expensive but safety first.

I have Good Year F1's on my car the symmetric ones though and they are just awesome, I am loving them!!! :) So much grip...

I love this colour of the e46 m3. I want one so bad!

Finally brought an M3 and prior to selling the 330i the plan is spend a few months detailing. After stripping all of the underside covers and panels off I was very pleased to find the engine and gearbox looked very good with no signs of any leaks etc. The diff though was covered with oil encrusted dirt. The side seals are definitely weeping but I am not sure if the oil around the input shaft is from the pinion seal or grease from the inpur shaft CV.

Anyway I want this thing spot on so I have stripped it out along with all of the front and rear suspension. Apart from the diff seals I plan to replace any bushes etc (although after an initail inspection everything looks good) - paint all components and have all of the bolts/nuts re-galvanised. Toying with replacing the shocks but the car has just turned over 100K km's and feels good so may not.

Apart from this all I will do is have the drivers seat base re-upholstered, wrap the interior trim pieces in a graphite CF (if I can find some) and give the car a thorough clay bar, localised cut, buffing compound and polish. Will respray the underside of the front bumper and sills to cover a couple of scrapes and gravel rash. One rim needs some curbing removed so this will be done too.

Plan is to keep the car 100% stock at least for the next couple of years. A few photos attached re progress so far (photos of the exhaust are pre clean, post clean up with pickling paste (magic stuff) and polishing).

Finished at last

post-3258-1318154856.jpg

post-3258-1318154870.jpg

post-3258-1318154886.jpg

post-3258-1318154909.jpg

post-3258-1318154924.jpg

post-3258-1318154934.jpg

post-3258-1318154942.jpg

post-3258-1318155087.jpg

Great job, although personally I would not have plated the bolts as it weakens it due to hydrogen embrittlement through plating and also causes a change in friction coefficient property - i.e. the torque properties of those bolts would have changed and chances are they would be under-torqued by about 25% or thereabouts.

Edited by M3_Power

Great job, although personally I would not have plated the bolts as it weakens it due to hydrogen embrittlement through plating and also causes a change in friction coefficient property - i.e. the torque properties of those bolts would have changed and chances are they would be under-torqued by about 25% or thereabouts.

That's where lock tight blue comes into play. most high torque bolts require replacing once undone... lock tight is your friend here too.

Car looks so well done now... just accelerate the wear of those tires and blame it on their crapness with the wife :D

Looks good, well done, now drive through a puddle.

I wasn't aware of this to be honest - I replaced a lot of the the important bolts and nuts (propellor and drive shaft, diff mounting bolts, brake caliper bolts, tie rod end and ball joint nuts). Apart from minor non critcal items (e.g. exhaust bolts/nuts etc) that only leaves the bolts securing the front and rear bracing panel, the rear sub frame and the FCAB/RTAB bolts. I will consider replacing these too but I don't feel as if I have compromised things too much here (I have done this on a number of cars over the years and can't recall a failure or loose bolts).

Edited by central3

A bit of a negative/positive plug for Jeff Grey - I had them replace the diff seals but they pushed them (the output seals) too far into the the housings - after my first test drive I had oil everywhere - I called and expalined what had happened - they drove 150km, collected the car and fixed it - I was very impressed and pleased - all good since

post-3258-1319868583.jpg