Sign in to follow this  
jimbo01

Audi Allroad 2.5TDI

Just checking but wheres ther best place to get a blown turbo fixed. Blew last Friday on the way up the mountain at 6.20pm just North of Levin.

Really really regretting not buying the X5 or ML500!

You sure it's the turbo ? or has an intercooler hose come off (quite common ) or have you had it profesionaly checked ?

I won't comment on the "REGRET"

Edited by *Glenn*

My inter cooler hose on my old Hilux Surf came off and lost most of its power, smoked hard. Wasn't fun, thought I'd stacked the engine when all it needed was re-fitted and tightened up, took 5 minutes.

My inter cooler hose on my old Hilux Surf came off and lost most of its power, smoked hard. Wasn't fun, thought I'd stacked the engine when all it needed was re-fitted and tightened up, took 5 minutes.

Not professionally checked as yet - just the AA contractor near Levin. No power, smonin like a bitch and low oil.

Given all the Turbos and associated plumbing were removed very recently to replace a colling pipe in the bottom of the V it is possible something has come loose. After thermostate was replaced we lost coolant again as a hose connection wasn't tight enough.

Jim

One thing after another after another after another, X5s are great ;)

One thing after another after another after another, X5s are great ;)

Never had any major issues with my 3, just maintenance stuff, front wheel bearing on my first one (done 180kms) and brakes on my 3rd one.

Powerhaus sent the turbo to Alltech. Turbo is rooted, beerings gone and turbo vanes pitted (apparently they see this a lot in turbos that have been Superchipped). Can't be serviced so a brand new turnbo is on the way. Doing a complete flush of the oil and adding nice high quality new oil and a new filter before re-starting the car. This is needed to get the warrenty on the new turbo.

I suggest a new turbo oil feed supply hose as well and make sure the drain hose is clear as well

I suggest a new turbo oil feed supply hose as well and make sure the drain hose is clear as well

Thanks - I'll recommend this to Rueben at Powerhaus.

Still don't have the car back - was thinking of taking it up the mountain on Saturday to check it's all running OK - oh well weather looks like crap for the weekend anyway.

A quick follow up. Powerhaus were great. We decide to sell the car as my wife freaked out everytime she drove it just in case something else broke. Had the car a total of 6 months and did 12,000km in it, and it was off the road for 1 month of that time. We spent just on $6500 maintaining it in that time.

A VTNZ or AA inspection would have revealed several issues and stopped me buying. Trademe trader; a master builder in Taupo and his wife; told barefaced lies. Again an inspection would have revealed this. Bimmer sports people said get an inspection, get a warrenty; great advice that I did not follow. I'll listen next time I promise!

However for all that otherwise the car was very economical diesel wise, had plenty of power and was a pleasure to drive (much better once the SuperChip was removed). It has proven reliable for the new owner who had done about 10,000km in it. Says its the best car hes had. Sold it on Trademe with full disclosure of the issues I'd had and what I'd spent repairing it. Sold in 3 days for $20,000 and had plenty of interest from other people.

I'm now back driving my 740i, the Wifes Merc and for Skiing the reliable but decidedly thirsty V6 4WD Odyssey. However for sheer drving pleasure the Audi was streets ahead of the Odyssey.

Edited by jimbo

It is now high time that you bought an X5. The only reason I said to get a warranty before you bought it was because I've had Audi's before and they are not cheap to repair. I remember I was at a funeral and forgot to switch my phone off the car dealer calls up two months after I sold them my Audi B6 S4 and he said the engine had lunched itself (he left a message ofcourse lol), uncle had and still has a B6 S4 convertible and it blew the engine at only 40kms - speculate it was more than 20k to replace.

Powerhaus sent the turbo to Alltech. Turbo is rooted, beerings gone and turbo vanes pitted (apparently they see this a lot in turbos that have been Superchipped).

I kinda find this hard to believe, I mean, it would be like 5-10% of diesels that are remapped/superchipped? They'd have to be doing a shitload of late model diesels to notice this?

Edited by The Diesel Guy

It is now high time that you bought an X5. The only reason I said to get a warranty before you bought it was because I've had Audi's before and they are not cheap to repair. I remember I was at a funeral and forgot to switch my phone off the car dealer calls up two months after I sold them my Audi B6 S4 and he said the engine had lunched itself (he left a message ofcourse lol), uncle had and still has a B6 S4 convertible and it blew the engine at only 40kms - speculate it was more than 20k to replace.

I kinda find this hard to believe, I mean, it would be like 5-10% of diesels that are remapped/superchipped? They'd have to be doing a shitload of late model diesels to notice this?

Agree on getting an X5 one day. It would definately be a turbo diesel, although not a chipped one. We were impressed with the diesel performance and even with buying km's for the road user charges it was cheap to run day to day.

Audis are not cheap to repair, not just because of expensive parts, but also some of the cheaper parts, like the thermostat, are placed where it takes an huge amount of labour to replace. Basically a cambelt job, without the cambelt. It would help if those replacing the cam belt (Audi agents in Hamilton) actually replaced the thermostat at the same time as repalcing the cam belt. Unlikely to buy another Audi - ever. What also didn't impress was the issues with the letters on controls wearing off, and according to forums something still not solved in even some recent Audis. Just not good enough for what is supposed to be a premium product.

According to Reuben at Powerhaus, Alltec told him MOST of the turbo failures they see are from cars that have been chipped so yeah I guess they they are seeing a pattern. They took a look at my toasted Turbo and asked "Is the car chipped?". No idea if this is across turbos in general, or specifically diesel cars.

That said if you chip a car you need to make sure it is properly maintained. Previous owners + Ford in Taupo are obvioulsy not up to the job. Replacing an oil filter but leaving the old oil seal in place is crap maintenance. Having an engine bay coated with oil due to a loose oil filter is crap maintenance. Having no anti freeze in the cooling system is crap maintencance. Having a completely dirty air filter is crap maintenance. Maybe if it had been preperly maintained this would not have been a problem.

I've now had 2x remapped X5's and not a problem on either, admittedly the 2nd one I don't did 12,000km but the first one I'd done 35,000km The M57TUD30 engines are very reliable and handled the extra power with ease.

I have seen a few stock Allroad 2.5 TDI's have turbo issues. Actuators sticking and worse.