Sign in to follow this  
slowe30

rx7 calipers and vw rotors on an e30?

was just wondering if anyone had put rx7 fc 4 pots and vw rotors (forgot which ones) onto their e30.

im about to be putting a m52 in there :D and wanted a little more stopping power than what i have.

theres a kit for it online somewhere with the bracket and line adaptors for 100 american

would you recommend this or is there a simpler cheaper big brake setup?

US$100 is cheap, unless you want to make the adaptors yourself. I guess you need to find the calipers and rotors for a good price too.

You'll need a cert.

Edited by CamB

ill need the cert for the engine and aparently i have to upgrade my brakes if i get more that 20% factory power to get the cert anyway.

i figured if i can do the full upgrade for around 500 then it will be good enough

have you done this? im just asking to see if it is actually a good upgrade or not really worth it.

I helped (didn't make the adapters, but did the research on rotor options etc and some of the assembly) for one with:

- skyline 4 pot front calipers

- Honda s2000 rotors (300x25 x40), which needed redrilling

- skyline 2 pot rears

- a certain E46 vented rear rotor (might have been a 330i)

- new lines

- wheels with a lot of "x-factor" (space for calipers). No dish allowed (without lots of spacer)

- also needs master cylinder upgrade

That's between $1000 and $3000 depending on whether you get new rotors and race pads or not and can personally make the caliper adapters, and would be less if you did front only. Plus the wheels.

I seem to remember the RX7 upgrade needs a specific Corrado rotor - you'd probably have to buy them new. I've got no idea if they work well or not.

Edited by CamB

I looked into it, as Cam said you need pretty specific wheels to clear the calipers or use wheels with spacers.

heres the info on the rotors, hopefully part numbers should still be vaild:

88-92 Corrado G60 or 89-91mk II golf 1.8 G60

EBC D480 (aka 97-99 SEAT Cordoba 2.0 16v or 99-02 SEAT Ibiza 1.8Turbo or 97-99 Ibiza 2.0 16v

280 x 22

height 39.5mm

centre 65mm dia

bore 13.5mm dia

inner dia 137mm

repco part no DF2631

if you want to keep 'standard' e30 wheels (AC Schnitzer, Hartge, basketweaves etc) you're best bet is to go with single piston sliding calipers (still good enough for M3's). There are a number of audi rotors that have suitable offsets (~35mm from memory) and only need basic mods to fit (re-drill and enlarge centerbore)

Audi TT

312 x 25

34.5mm high, 5x100 65mm center dia

Audi A3 96-03 1.8T

EBC D818

Ø: 288 mm, Br. Disc Thickness: 25,0 mm, Min. thickness: 22 mm, Brake Disc Type: Vented, Finish: High-carbon, Num. of holes: 5, Pitch Circle Ø: 100 mm, Height: 34,5 mm, Centering Diameter: 65 mm, Inner Diameter: 136 mm, Bore Ø: 15,6 mm

both of those are quite a bit bigger than the corrado rotor

Actually, there also nothing wrong with the brakes on them in good condition, unless you are doing some pretty heavy duty track work.

ive got a set now and will install them once i get decent suspension. the look so much bigger and the entire e30 pad fits into just the pad surface of the rx7 pad. i got the adapter from america as i dont have access to the machinery required to get to a certification standard.

also found out my m52 is approximatly the same weight at a m20 so the upgrade isnt hugely required but ive got them now...