Sign in to follow this  
dereklau007

12v source for reverse camera

So I've done the time consuming part of installing the reverse camera and now up to the wiring part. I've only got one question, I've been trying to look for a 12v wire which I can tap into for powering the reverse camera but I'm lost to find one. I've read on other DIY's that people have tapped into a violet/white wire which is 12v (ACC or switched I'm not sure).

This is for a 2002 530i Motorsport

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Derek

So I've done the time consuming part of installing the reverse camera and now up to the wiring part. I've only got one question, I've been trying to look for a 12v wire which I can tap into for powering the reverse camera but I'm lost to find one. I've read on other DIY's that people have tapped into a violet/white wire which is 12v (ACC or switched I'm not sure).

This is for a 2002 530i Motorsport

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards,

Derek

Yes violet/white for acc, check it though - there is another wire same colour in the loom that is not

Yes violet/white for acc, check it though - there is another wire same colour in the loom that is not

If you have long enough wire then splice into reverse wire or just use 12v socket with a switch.

If you have long enough wire then splice into reverse wire or just use 12v socket with a switch.

Access to reverse & acc inputs are side by side in the loom in the boot. The camera can be powered continuously (ign switched of course) & is better this way so as to avoid any delay in power up when selecting reverse

Thanks for all the help. Initially I was considering tapping into the reverse light however as Grant has pointed out that if 12v acc is used then there is no delay in powering up. I'm still using the reverse light wire to trigger the relay so that once reverse gear is engaged it will connect pin17 to ground and the screen will automatically switch to the reverse camera input.

Just one further question. I have a 5 pin relay and am slightly confused with using 87a or 87 as the pin 17 connection. Does it even matter?

Thanks again,

Derek

Edited by Derek007

Thanks for all the help. Initially I was considering tapping into the reverse light however as Grant has pointed out that if 12v acc is used then there is no delay in powering up. I'm still using the reverse light wire to trigger the relay so that once reverse gear is engaged it will connect pin17 to ground and the screen will automatically switch to the reverse camera input.

Just one further question. I have a 5 pin relay and am slightly confused with using 87a or 87 as the pin 17 connection. Does it even matter?

Thanks again,

Derek

http://www.teamrocs.com/technical/pages/relay_basics.htm

Thanks again,

Derek

Use 87, 87a is normally closed contact

For all the help I have successfully installed my reverse camera and working perfectly! Take a little getting used to but it's a great feature.

At first I thought I had bitten off more than I can chew. Great satisfaction when a project comes out great