Sign in to follow this  
ranton-inc

1997 750iL Shock Absorber Query

Hi all,

Trying to Give our 97 750iL a little birthday

It has the Electronic Dampening all the shocks are obviously a little farked being 200,000+ kms old

Is it possible to Install Say Monroe or Bilstein Regular Dampers in place of the Electronic ones......

If so please advise if you know of a suitable part number and if its necessary to block anything off....?

Cheers Guys

From having chats with a few professionals when I was looking at e34s (which use the same setup more or less) you will need to convert a full non-Electronic rear end... $$$$$$

Recently did this myself on the E38 740il, not hard just time consuming doing the rear and $$$.

Since you probably have SLS and EDC you would need new springs,shocks,strut mounts etc for back and front.

Here some idea. I blocked up the accumulators instead of re-routing

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1495281

Recently did this myself on the E38 740il, not hard just time consuming doing the rear and $$$.

Since you probably have SLS and EDC you would need new springs,shocks,strut mounts etc for back and front.

Here some idea. I blocked up the accumulators instead of re-routing

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1495281

after reading your thread... fack it .. it looks like it does.....

care to share any part #s if you have them on Hand?

Cheers

after reading your thread... fack it .. it looks like it does.....

care to share any part #s if you have them on Hand?

Cheers

(Bilstein Part #'s)

The other issue at hand is a Jamming Passenger side door (not opening.. but havent figured that one out...)

Also Why new springs?

Edited by ranton-inc

Yeah ive never had a look at how an E38 with SLS and EDC is setup before. Id imagine the rears use the hydraulic system for leveling and are also electronically controlled for damping.

Dont have part numbers on hand but i got most of my parts from pelican parts so was just of choosing the non-self leveling\edc parts.

The plugs i used were part no:07-11-9-919-228-M9

Are you planning on lowering it at all?

I went with BOGE shocks myself

I know rear SLS springs are basically a support as the shocks control the ride height so you wouldnt use them in a conventional shock\springs setup.

Apparently EDC springs are ok to use but since you have SLS\EDC on the rear im guessing you would need to get some std rear springs and re use the fronts

If you going with bilsteins id get lowering springs to suit or get the shocks revalved, otherwise it would be a harsh ride.

If you keeping with std springs id get Boge's but bear it mind it wont handle as good as a working SLS and\or EDC system or a good springs\shock combo