Sign in to follow this  
Smac01

'02 M3 for $25k

Pretty cheap if it checked out ok

It would be a big sh*t sandwich if it didn't. Seemed a little too good to be true.

Very cheap!

If I was in the market for one of these I would have hit the buy now then got the thing cheked out. If it was a lemon then dont buy. If the seller spits the dummy, whats the worst youre going to get? Negative feedback!?

Someone may very well have the bargin of the year right there.

Very cheap!

If I was in the market for one of these I would have hit the buy now then got the thing cheked out. If it was a lemon then dont buy. If the seller spits the dummy, whats the worst youre going to get? Negative feedback!?

Someone may very well have the bargin of the year right there.

Thats not quite how it works. Once you hit "Buy Now" you are legally obligated to go through with the purchase. If the seller wants they can chase you up in court for the moneys...

Thats not quite how it works. Once you hit "Buy Now" you are legally obligated to go through with the purchase. If the seller wants they can chase you up in court for the moneys...

Find a flaw and claim false advertising :ph34r:

Yeah yeah, so everybody says. Never happens thou.

Find a flaw and claim false advertising :ph34r:

Thats the way Atta :D

I despise people like you. Had that sh*t happen so many times.

Not a fan of people purchasing and then not following through or even getting in contact. It's up to you to go and look at the car before bidding. If someone bought something of mine, turned up and asked to take it for a mechanical inspection (even though I thought it was 100%), my response wouldn't be a good one. I'd be happy for them to do so before they bid/purchased but not after the auction has closed.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I despise people like you. Had that sh*t happen so many times.

This. So frustrating when it happens!

This car came into work earlier in the week, 25g is what its worth, that's all i can say.

Word - why else would it be 330i money!

This car came into work earlier in the week, 25g is what its worth, that's all i can say.

You in Christchurch?

You in Christchurch?

Haha, where have you been, was there for two weeks, back in the bay as of last night.

Haha, where have you been, was there for two weeks, back in the bay as of last night.

Mate... told ya give me a ring or PM or something, would have caught up :(

Mate... told ya give me a ring or PM or something, would have caught up :(

I posted on here that i was coming. Next time as i'm sure it won't be my last visit there.

I know the person who purchased this car. It had a good pre purchase check.

haha, its me!

I'm the new owner.

It passed a BMW Dealer 90 minute check with only minor flaws.

It’s gonna be converted into a race car, so i wasn’t going to be overly picky either. Targa and track.

I was close to buying one in the UK and importing it, but this one clearly came up at the right price.

Will post pics and my plans up next week.

Updated:

Follow the BMW 90 minute report, word for word:

===============================

General Appearance = Good (not excellent, but not average or Poor)

"Minor cosmetic repairs. No evidence of major body repairs"

Summary of vehicle defects - comments:

> External temp sensor faulty (air cond)

> RF Speaker crackles

> Wiper not clearning screen (new wiper blade needed)

> Rear trailing arm bushes badly split

> Power Steering leaks, res to cooler hose, cooler to rack, rack to pump hose

> LH Door body seal perished

> Undertray damaged (coming off anyway, getting a think alu one)

> Front brake disks undersize

> Interior wear and tear as per age and kms of car.

================================

Tyres are also stuffed. Plus, ulgy black wheels apparently.

So for a 9 year old car, not completely untypical. Not mint, but not bad either.

As its gonna get stripped, roll caged, stiffened, rebraked, etc etc, nothing in the above list scares me or gets removed/replaced anyway. For me body, engine, transmission, diff were the concerns, and are all good.

Posted Image

Edited by Beeker2

Would like to know what you saw that isnt listed above to only think its worth 25k?

Would love to see the build progress if you have time to make a thread for it

Definitely yes,

The reality is that it will be a simple build.

As it'll be effectively a type of endurance setup, i want to keep it as OEM as possible for reliability. Call me crazy, but i would like to keep ABS/ESP enabled/capable. Naturally this would be disabled for track, but many a targa day i wish i had ESP, especially when you are getting tired and you are in survival mode. As such i need to tread carefully with the brake changes. I know the E36 has to have ABS disabled due to the 'ABS stutter' that can cause brake fade and normally a crash, but E46 i 'think' is fine. Please correct or link me if you know otherwise.

Thinking:

Phase I:

> Cage - might spend a little more and go moly

> Seats - 4009HR every time

> Sundry safety equipment,

> Suspension refresh (green here, maybe custom bilstein inserts or PSS10 ??

> Brake refresh - thinking of CSL rotors to get me started

Phase II:

> 4.1 Diff - i understand the M3 diff is good, and only needs a 4.1 crown and pinion?

> BBK - You can spend $$ here very easily!

Thinking alcon/AP/Brembo as the premium choice, but are there any good 'reuse' BBK which are sized well for the M3?

Still in research mode. Wont have any money for the conversion until next year anyway, not to mention targa october in the DC2 integra in 4 weeks time and all the prep still required for that!

PS. If you have not seen the other E46 in targa, here it is in its copy 'BMW artwork' colours.

This one is a SMG2, 150kms, NZ new car, maintained by Motorsport Services. Currently driven by a couple of Aussies.

Posted Image

Edited by Beeker2

Would like to know what you saw that isnt listed above to only think its worth 25k?

Have already spoken to Noel that doesn't concern you Sam ;)

I think it was only the 4 channel e36 abs that had the bigger problems. Still not much of a comparison to the e46 m3 setup.

Massivebrakes.com might be an option to look at for bbk

Good luck with the up coming targa

Welcome to the forum Noel!!

Great purchase by the way - I have to say I was nearly tempted myself to buy this and turn it into a race car!!

Few things on your plan that I would point out.

1. Cage - make sure the cage builder pick up the 4 mounting points on the rear diff carrier (no rear floor crack worries for the future) especially on a racecar. Also gives you the option of running solid rear subframe bushings for the future and a spherical RTAB setup (i.e. basically rose joint the whole rear end for better rear end control)

2. A good set of suspension will make a world of difference to the E46 M3 - as a comparison (Mike Eady in my CSL did a warm up lap of circa 1:17.6 on the old AC Schnitzer setup around Hampton downs on REALLY old Cup tyres and a very good wheel alignment setup, I did a 1:15.8 on KW 2 way race shocks with NO wheel alignment and even older Cup tyres and very relaxed driving (not to mention I am no where near as good as Mike) - there's easily another 2 seconds in the car with alignment and fresher rubber and a bit more setup work - and this is in what is essentially a road car with full interior and aircon blasting on high : P).

3. Don't skimp on brakes, it is a heavy car no matter which way you look at it. Stick with the branded stuff like AP Racing (Robbie's CSL runs APs and I've driven the setup, it is phenomenal with the correct brake pads (Pagid RS29s) - the Alcons are very good also but slightly less pad choice.)

4. Keep ABS - Mike's E92 M3 racecars runs aircon during endurance races ... he says it is the best thing in the car second only to the ABS in the wet.

5. Only go for the shorter diff when you are used to the car.

6. Check the vanos bolts : ) They come loose overtime.

Happy racing : )