Sign in to follow this  
Smac01

'02 M3 for $25k

Welcome to the forum Noel!!

Great purchase by the way - I have to say I was nearly tempted myself to buy this and turn it into a race car!!

Few things on your plan that I would point out.

1. Cage - make sure the cage builder pick up the 4 mounting points on the rear diff carrier (no rear floor crack worries for the future) especially on a racecar. Also gives you the option of running solid rear subframe bushings for the future and a spherical RTAB setup (i.e. basically rose joint the whole rear end for better rear end control)

2. A good set of suspension will make a world of difference to the E46 M3 - as a comparison (Mike Eady in my CSL did a warm up lap of circa 1:17.6 on the old AC Schnitzer setup around Hampton downs on REALLY old Cup tyres and a very good wheel alignment setup, I did a 1:15.8 on KW 2 way race shocks with NO wheel alignment and even older Cup tyres and very relaxed driving (not to mention I am no where near as good as Mike) - there's easily another 2 seconds in the car with alignment and fresher rubber and a bit more setup work - and this is in what is essentially a road car with full interior and aircon blasting on high : P).

3. Don't skimp on brakes, it is a heavy car no matter which way you look at it. Stick with the branded stuff like AP Racing (Robbie's CSL runs APs and I've driven the setup, it is phenomenal with the correct brake pads (Pagid RS29s) - the Alcons are very good also but slightly less pad choice.)

4. Keep ABS - Mike's E92 M3 racecars runs aircon during endurance races ... he says it is the best thing in the car second only to the ABS in the wet.

5. Only go for the shorter diff when you are used to the car.

6. Check the vanos bolts : ) They come loose overtime.

Happy racing : )

thanks Tom. Sorry for not calling, its been frantic!

However, the M3 got dropped off at home this arvo, and have just spend the last 2 hour cleaning it!

All good stuff. I'm actually spending the weekend with mike in melbourne so will bleed his brains no doubt.

What do you think of the PSS10 setup over KW ? Dont think its allot more??

Will call you later in the week once i get my head above water.

thanks

Noel

As for the car, here is a few photos, pre clean.

The fuel pump appears nosiy also!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Beeker2

Have already spoken to Noel that doesn't concern you Sam ;)

You can't have been that far off Greg, paying circa 25k for a car that's worth 30-35k tops that requires about 5k worth of tyres, brakes, e.t.c. isn't that far away IMO.

Car looks great in the flesh, black wheels need to burn though, it f**ks the whole car!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

You can't have been that far off Greg, paying circa 25k for a car that's worth 30-35k tops that requires about 5k worth of tyres, brakes, e.t.c. isn't that far away IMO.

Car looks great in the flesh, black wheels need to burn though, it f**ks the whole car!

Set of 19" M3 wheels would make look nice.

There is a set on TM, but that want so much $$ compared to uk ebay pricing.

I think the black wheels really make the car, great buy by the way.

Nice looking car - our BBS LM reps would set it off perfectly!!

Speaking of reps, do you have the ML wheels - I have a guy I deal with here in Dunedin but he was unable to find anything at the time which was several months back. They are a 21".

Posted Image

Posted Image