Sign in to follow this  
callumb

HELP! anyone know how to 'successfully' sync an E36 fob?

I have a 1998 323iM coupe. I have tried the instructions below a few times without success. The instructions seem great but aren't 100% clear, for example..

1. When cycling to almost start should I be using the fob I'm trying to sync or a working fob, does it matter which?

2. Do I take the key out of the ignition after cycling the 5 times.

3. I presume if the car is already unlocked with the doors shut you can start from step 3.?

Does anyone know what the trick is? (I've attached a pic of my remote fob)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preperation

1. Close all doors,trunk,and hood.

2. The security system must be in disarm mode and key must be removed from the ignition key slot.

Enter Code learning mode

3.Open trunk and leave it opened.

4. open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat

5. Close the driver's door.

6. Cycle ignition switch 5 times between Off and On (DO NOT START ENGINE)

The red status light will illuminate continuously, and the siren will chirp once to indicate that the code learning mode has been initiated.

The ignition switch cycling must be performed within 10 seconds.

The sequence in steps 1-6 must be performed within 45 seconds.

Register/Delete ID Code(s)

7. Open driver's door (remain seated in driver's seat)

8. Close driver's door

9. Press and relase any button on the remote you wish to register into the system. The status led will shut off momentarily to indicate that one id code has been registered.

10. Repeat steps 7 to 9 to register the remain the ID codes.

Exiting code learning mode

11. Open driver's door and exit vehicle, leaving the door open.

12. Close trunk.

13. Close dirver's door. The LED will turn off and the siren will chirp once twice.

14. The initializaiton procedure is now completed; test all remotes to confirm operation.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Have updated the attached picture to be of my actual key rather than a pic I found on the web (which after looking closely was a little bit different)

post-3220-1316045443.jpg

Edited by Callum

To intialise the key, sit in the drivers seat with everything shut, turn key to position two then back to 0, pull key out of ignition press the lock button three times whilst holding the unlock button down on the key itself, the led on the key should light up (can't remember whether you press the lock button or the unlock button whilst pressing the other) try both ways if you don't succeed with the first try.

When the led is lit up point the key at the interior mirror and press the lock button, the doors should lock then unlock and you're done.

To intialise the key, sit in the drivers seat with everything shut, turn key to position two then back to 0, pull key out of ignition press the lock button three times whilst holding the unlock button down on the key itself, the led on the key should light up. When the led is lit up point the key at the interior mirror and press the lock button, the doors should lock then unlock and you're done.

Hi Greg. Thanks for replying.. Your instructions worked up until the last step - ie. pressing the lock button didn't lock then unlock the doors. After I held the unlock button and pressed lock 3 times the led did in fact start flashing (its the first time any proceedure has worked at all so was getting quite excited), but when I press the lock button after that nothing happened. And yeah I aimed the key right at the rear view mirror. I tried it a few times.

Can you recall if there's perhaps another step?

This is the correct proceedure

1, using a key unlock the vehicle, get in and close door.

2, put the key into the ignition and turn to position 2, wait for 5 secs and then back to off.

3. remove key

4. point the key toward red "clown nose"

5. hold unlock rectangle button

6. press lock round button 3 times (while still holding the unlock button)

7. release the unlock button

8. At this point, you'll notice the red led on key flashes

9. press the unlock button

10. car will lock and unlock to indicate successful association

11. repeat 4-9 for 2nd key

You press the unlock button ...not the lock button

Edited by *Glenn*

This is the correct proceedure

1, using a key unlock the vehicle, get in and close door.

2, put the key into the ignition and turn to position 2, wait for 5 secs and then back to off.

3. remove key

4. point the key toward red "clown nose"

5. hold unlock rectangle button

6. press lock round button 3 times (while still holding the unlock button)

7. release the unlock button

8. At this point, you'll notice the red led on key flashes

9. press the unlock button

10. car will lock and unlock to indicate successful association

11. repeat 4-9 for 2nd key

You press the unlock button ...not the lock button

Thanks Glenn but still no joy on step 9. The led flashes as you described in step 8. but when I hit 'unlock' the led stops flashing and no locking or unlocking occurs. Perhaps the fob is somehow faulty. I have a second working fob so I know the receiver in the mirror is working fine.

Try pressing it 4 times instead of 3... had this happen a couple of times. Or come over with both keys and I'll give it a go. Might have to scan the control unit. Please ring first though.

Try pressing it 4 times instead of 3... had this happen a couple of times. Or come over with both keys and I'll give it a go. Might have to scan the control unit. Please ring first though.

Still no success.. bloody thing! Thanks anyway and will give you a call.

Aha!! :D Thanks Glenn..

If you have a working key you will want to do the procedure (as described by Glenn) with the WORKING key first. Once you get to step 9. (with the working fob) the doors should lock then unlock, at this point you need to repeat steps 4-9 for the non working key. This worked for me!

Note: This proceedure changes the rolling code which means you must repeat steps 4-9 immediately with any additional fobs if you want them to work with the new code.

Only thing I would mention is the first time I attempted this (with the working key) it didn't work on step 9. and afterwards my working key no longer worked. But after cursing loudly I tried the procedure again and it all worked as described.

Glenn also suggested that before starting the procedure it might pay to start the car and turn it off again. I did this as well.

Thanks again!

• Like 1