Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Performance fuel systems

Am wanting to see what other people are running and on what engine, injectors, fuel lines, connections, fuel rails, pumps and regulators.

I'm not looking to run with a fuel cell just yet, but am planning on adapting the current fuel lines to -6 AN to run with my tomei s type regulator.

I cant find specs on Internal dia's for e30 fuel cables, so am wondering if it would be beneficial to use -8 or -10 as the fuel supply, or just stick with -6 till I replace the standard hose.

If anyone has any personal experience theyd like to share itd be much appreciated.

Edit: primarily id like to know if i can shove a -6AN swivel fitting on the end of the standard e30 fuel hose.

Edited by André3000

I ended up going with a walbro pump as the bosch 044 which I intended on using will not fit in the tank.

M50B25

60lb siemens injectors

Standard lines / regulator

The standard regulator is fine, i'm not sure why you would want to run an aftermarket one unless you are running huge fuel pump(s) and the regulator cannot return enough fuel at idle / low engine loads.

What's your power goal? For anything less than 500~ hp you only need bigger injectors and fuel pump really.. the lines are big enough as they are.

running 044 and -an6 on the Mini with fuel cell , complete overkill as this could supply 350 hp of fuel if needed.

IMO I'd only go -an8 / 10 if running large cc V8 engine or high boost 2.6 GTR transplant.

Guest Ari Gold

Should watch how much fuel is circulating too Huddy, if the fuel is going round and round too often you can encounter heat soak.

I got the Tomei reg dirt cheap, and the bosch reg doesn't have pressure gauge abilities, which is what I'm wanting.

I'm not sure about the power goal, not fussed as long as its running and safe. In the end I'm going to have 2 preset maps for daily and track so I may aswell do it once the right way to prevent limitations.

For now then im just going to go with hose clamps and the push fittings as my fuel rail has already been modified.

Are there any dos and don'ts with fuel filters?

Neal: Are you saying the 3430cc m30 drink less than the rb26? just a question as i have no idea about fuel consumption.

I got the Tomei reg dirt cheap, and the bosch reg doesn't have pressure gauge abilities, which is what I'm wanting.

I'm not sure about the power goal, not fussed as long as its running and safe. In the end I'm going to have 2 preset maps for daily and track so I may aswell do it once the right way to prevent limitations.

For now then im just going to go with hose clamps and the push fittings as my fuel rail has already been modified.

Neal: Are you saying the 3430cc m30 drink less than the rb26? just a question as i have no idea about fuel consumption.

ask martyn (back yard bandit) if you want to know about m30b35 turbo drinking fuel .

Sounding like a great project

My context was 450 kw plus rather than CC size which the RB26 can do quite easily with suitable mods. I'd suggest this would be harder to achieve with a M30 without extensive upgrades of internal components.

For you fuel system / pump / injectors you really need to work the following

Goals for Engine, e.g. , mild boost / high boost / hi HP / high torque

Engineering of engine strength (If standard m30 then CR ratio will mean low boost or short engine life under high boost)

Turbo / supercharger size as per engine goals

Boost PSI to suit engine goals and build

From there you can work out

Optimal size for Fuel Pump / Fuel lines / injector size / regulator fuel pressure ratio / ECU inputs and outputs.

I’ve got some spreadsheets somewhere that calculates injector size based on engine RPM / CC rating / Boost / HP goals. I can dig it out if you which.

BTW , what ECU are you going to run ?

OT - bin a long time Huds... Get in touch for epic bender...

Ahk I get where you're coming from. Although you'll probably be surprised as to how many pounds m30's can handle standard although saying that I won't be venturing over 15psi till I get new head studs and MLS installed.

Also the compresion ratio for the late model m30b35 is 9.0:1, which should handle the pressure nicely.

Would be great to see those spread sheets! thanks.

Standard motronic 1.1 ecu with a mapecu2 piggybacking. NO AFM OR MAF sensor!! also programable electronic boost control and backyard tuning capabilities.... should be fun to figure out

OT - Will do Graham... let the good times roll

15 pounds on a 3.5 should give that e30 a fright !

Having trouble finding the spreadsheet, but did find a couple of useful bookmarks on the pc

http://www.rceng.com/technical.aspx#Fuel_Injector_Worksheet_

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/turbo/turboflow.html (go to excel spreadsheet near bottom of page, not inmetric but easy enough to convert)

edit , fuel pump specs

http://www.lucasinjection.com/bosch_and_lucas_fuel_pumps.htm

Edited by Neal