Sign in to follow this  
varun1794

m20b20 upgrade

yo

so we all know how gutless the m20b20 is and i was wondering whats the best upgrade for it to get over 200 hp atw for it and if i can get it done under 1.5k? i had a few questions so here they are.

-whats a good turbo setup and how much would it cost and the performance like

- if i had to do a swap i would do a m50 swap, whats the cost and whats the performance like

- how much would it cost to turbo a m50

- would a m20b25 swap be way cheaper then a m50 swap?

cheers

Edited by varun1794

M20B25 swap is the easiest and is best hp per money spent really. But wont get you 200hp atw without a lot of mods.

M50B25 is a bit faster than the M20B25, but will cost you a lot more.

Turboing either engine will cost a lot more than $1.5k.

200hp at the wheels for $1500???

It's possible...but either you'll pop the engine in 5 minutes or slide your 23 year old "stock-standard-apart-from-the engine" car into a tree.

Save some $$$, buy a better car.

With out money you need luck, skill and time

If you look up 13's for 1300 you might get some inspiration. Unsure if this is a good recommendation

thanks for the help guys ok maybe 200 hp is a bit 2 much 2 ask in my budget, does anyone know around how much a m50 swap costs including labour as i dnt have the tools to do it at home, i just wana get rid of my b20 cuz its lack of torque just frustrates me

or this .

m52 328i engine and manual box , but dig a bit deeper

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-408808016.htm

Ah you found the link to it! I was looking at getting this!

Would be a beast of a swap!:D btut then found I a 260Getrag Conversion kit for my 325i from Jono51

you should get a loan out mate and get this M52 328i :P

yo

so we all know how gutless the m20b20 is and i was wondering whats the best upgrade for it to get over 200 hp atw for it and if i can get it done under 1.5k? i had a few questions so here they are.

-whats a good turbo setup and how much would it cost and the performance like

- if i had to do a swap i would do a m50 swap, whats the cost and whats the performance like

- how much would it cost to turbo a m50

- would a m20b25 swap be way cheaper then a m50 swap?

cheers

you won't get much for 1.5k, over 200hp you'll be up for a cert, as with m52 and m50 conversions, you'll need a cert too. there are also hidden costs

i've got some ideas and options, that will be more suited for your budget,

call me if you are interested

cheers

Jon

Getting a loan to modify a car is a stoopid idea.

If you have to pay someone to do all the work you aren't going to get much at all for your dollar.

Buy tools(there are enough people on here that will give you advise on how to use them) or buy a different car

edit: or Jon

Edited by bbs

yeah labour cost is what really bites aye id love to do it my self i love workin on my car but iv never done a swap before so a bit unsure, yea maybe raise the budget abit then?

You could probably swap to a b25 by yourself, just read up on in and purchase the right tools.

I'm doing a b34 swap at the moment and all my knowledge has come from books and the net.

yeah labour cost is what really bites aye id love to do it my self i love workin on my car but iv never done a swap before so a bit unsure, yea maybe raise the budget abit then?

if your car is facelift and the eninge you get is facelift (or both prefacelift), reinstallation is the backwards order of taking it out. they function the same as the b20. doing in a day is a realistic proposition, and the only specialty tool you will need in an engine crane.

if you're looking to go faster with the car you have... you might be looking at the wrong thing... suspention, brakes tires/wheels is a good start... M20B25 can be done cheap, M50 might be a better idea as it's DOHC and newer...

if you're looking to go faster with the car you have... you might be looking at the wrong thing... suspention, brakes tires/wheels is a good start... M20B25 can be done cheap, M50 might be a better idea as it's DOHC and newer...

but if you just open up your wallet and buy another engine you miss out on the engineering challenges of going faster with what you have ;-)

the b23 is my favourite but i've got a b20 which eats RB20 skylines - much to their displeasure, only mods i have are megasquirt 2, pod filter and direct ignition with Bosch IGBTs

ohk so i know all about the m20b25 swap as iv done my research but how much does a m50 swap actually cost? if some one could giv examples of how much they paid it would really help thanks

ohk so i know all about the m20b25 swap as iv done my research but how much does a m50 swap actually cost? if some one could giv examples of how much they paid it would really help thanks

Engine $1k (i paid $400, but I think they generally go for $1000)

Manual conversion $400 (i used getrag 240)

Clutch kit $400

Brake booster setup $100

M52 exhaust manifolds $100, modified them my self later

Water pump $125

Drive shaft donut $100

Driveshaft center bearing $80

Oils / coolants etc $200

Engine / gearbox mounts $100~?

I picked up a 3.64 medium case diff and 325 axles for $150 (i think that could of been a bargain), up to you if you want to upgrade the diff, but the 320 auto diff is 4.45 if i remember correctly and it just wheels spins right thru 3rd gear and does some thing like 4000 rpm at 100 kph - and then it will eventually sh*t it self and possible leave you stranded some where.

So about $2.5K

No doubt im missing some things, and up to you on what you want to replace, and depends how much you can do your self.

It really all just bolts up, the only thing you need to make is the exhaust, modify the wiring, and I had to make up some brake lines to suit my master cylinder.

Edited by polley

seriously the best mod you can do is......non

do some more over time and do the job right!!!

want 200hp easily? no such thing or maybe a 100hp hit of NOS at close to $300 for bottle fill and on an engine unkown?

save your money and heart ache take note of whats being told youll be better off in the long run, and have money to maintain it.

how attached are you to your car? sell it and buy a m20b25, saves you alot of hassles, and maybe pick up a good deal for a well maintained 325i in the process

get a sc14 supercharger and bolt it on. I did that to my otherwise standard M20 and it hauls with about 7lbs boost.