Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

iFail

Android will win unless apple can offer a sub $500 iphone.

3GS is now selling $599 at Apple store. Still not sub-500, but close enough for an Apple product. In that price point, there're Incredible S, Galaxy S both might be better phones on a spec sheet. But they hardly have the same appeal as an iPhone.

From what i understood from the presentation when iOS5 is released you can upgrade your 4 to ios5 and run Siri on a standard 4? iCloud is available for all devices?

If thats the case then only thing you would be missing would be the dual core chips and the upgraded camera?

I've never had my 4 seem slow and have always been pretty impressed by the camera, so cant really see the value.

I must admit though my brothers SII smokes the my phone.

I've used iPhone, Android, and windows.

In the end I've reverted to this:

Posted Image

Best phone I've ever used and would not get rid of it for another smart phone.

I have a Nokia C6, got a camera, qwerty keyboard, internet, txts and calls. Best thing about it, is it won't be getting updated every 5 weeks for a new one coming out, the thing i love about this is the keyboard, will never go to anything else that doesn't have the keyboard

The bottom line is though, the iPhone is still the best overall smart phone experience for 90% of the population.

3GS is now selling $599 at Apple store. Still not sub-500, but close enough for an Apple product. In that price point, there're Incredible S, Galaxy S both might be better phones on a spec sheet. But they hardly have the same appeal as an iPhone.

I'm in the market right now for a $600ish smart phone. And the only one that has got my attention at the moment is the Galaxy S Plus. Is $50 cheaper than a iphone 3gs and is more powerful than a iphone 4. Has a bigger battery than the normal Galaxy S too. Maybe I should stretch for a SII though? They are $700+

Since my 3GS just gave up after 2.5 years of solid service Ill pick up a 4GS.

I used to think of myself as a bit of a geek but love the iphone. Easy to use and good fun when jailbroken. I think enjoy the camera the most and the apps that go with it

I went Android (Sony Arc) mostly because I still can't stand itunes and didn't want it on my laptop. I use it for everything (camera, satnav, mp3 player, games, browsing, email etc) and the most annoying thing I find is that everyone has iPhones so its sometimes hard to find a charger if i haven't made it home, and all the MP3 docks etc are for apple products.

Edited by Mike

Maybe I should stretch for a SII though? They are $700+

Hand on heart, you wont regret it.

Yep, well summed up there man.

I'm also in the app development game and have a company that specializes in developing Windows Phone applications. As you said, the success of the platform is going be directly related to Nokia and the miracle they will be pulling off later this year / early next year :P

Having said that, I'm still carrying a galaxy S... as you said, it's truly the ideal 'geek' phone.

Mind if I ask what sort of apps you guys develop? Always keen to hear what other fellow kiwis are up to in the mobile industry, we've got some awesome stuff coming out of lil ol NZ...

We have been doing a lot of contract work for companies to get apps into the market and also use internally. We just finished an iOS/Android app for Bunnings in Australia which will feature on "The Renovators" TV show which is running there. Hopefully the show will make it here! Insanely busy!!! These global AppStores/Marketplaces rock...

What are you working on? Or is it top secret?

I got myself an Android late last year, the seemingly little-known Garmin-Asus A10 Nuvifone. I've been stoked as with it so far, all the functionality of a GARMIN GPS but with the added functionality of ANDROID too! I thought it was the bees-knees... but then I upgraded from 1.6 to 2.1 and its a whole extra level.

Sure it sometimes lags, and force-closes but I find generally just switching it off for a little bit tends to fix that. And my old nokia, and all my samsungs have always had issues when they've been run 24/7 anyway so it's nothing new really.

Hand on heart, you wont regret it.

I got one a few months back when they first came out. Had it a day and the screen stopped working. One of the first in Australia, lol. Got another Galaxy SII the same day and have had it since. Wont ever touch an iphone again if Samsung keep it up