Sign in to follow this  
briancol

The Rena stranding.

They are quick aren't they

post-2989-1318021499.jpg

Edited by C0SM0S

*rena

Dad was out there the other day taking the mayor and sh*t out to have a look.

He reckons you couldn't get it more stuck if you tryed, 50 meters either side and it prob would of been sweet.

Gonna be a big f**k up.

Edited by polley

If it continues to leak and the wind turns, the beaches will get raped.

That thing is high and dry on the rocks, gonna be a mission to get off, I think there is about 2500 containers on there and the ship has no cranes on it.

Is it just me or is everything reactive to what has happened not pro active. They wait until it starts to leak oil then get the stuff to contain or disperse it and a firm has some stuff to stop it already here in NZ and they don't us it. It is only now that salvage people are arriving to asses the situation why so slow to get their act together. The number of containers 2171 staked about six high and some 1,7000 tonnes of heavy fuel oil, 70 tonnes of diesel NZ Herald. What a time bomb hope when it all comes to bear that some one or bodies have their heads and arses handed to them on a silver plate for the damage that has been coursed even if it goes no further than it has already,sorry but in a pigs eye

It really might seem that way, but there is a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that the media dont show.

NZ has no equipment to deal with this kind of situation.

They will begin pumping the oil off shortly, and will take about 2 days to pump it all out. Hopefully the weather holds out so they can finish pumping it out un-interrupted.

Edited by polley

Yes would have to agree on the behind the scenes Troy, but four days to get a tanker down from Auckland to start pumping then only get 10 tonnes off and have to stop. Wonder if this bad weather could be a blessing to help the ship off the reef?. Hope for the whole area that this doesn't turn into a big mess.

Yes would have to agree on the behind the scenes Troy, but four days to get a tanker down from Auckland to start pumping then only get 10 tonnes off and have to stop. Wonder if this bad weather could be a blessing to help the ship off the reef?. Hope for the whole area that this doesn't turn into a big mess.

I don't think the bad weather will help get it off, it will only make it worse and possibly break the ship up, or containers fall off. It went up on a spring tide, so she is well and truely stuck.

4 Days is a long time, but who knows what else had to be done in that time to prep a tanker to go down and pump it out.

It's f**ked. Looks like its gonna break up on the reef. Mayday has been called and crew trying to get off.

Even if they did manage to get it off, the closest dry dock of taking a ship this large is in singapore.

Have they said how the dumb shits hit the reef yet? How does that even happen in 2011?

I hope they fine the hell out of em, as well as make them pay for the damage to tangrang and the mount.

Edited by Jacko

I think it's getting closer.

:D

Have they said how the dumb shits hit the reef yet? How does that even happen in 2011?

I hope they fine the hell out of em, as well as make them pay for the damage to tangrang and the mount.

I kind hope theyre whole company is banned from NZ waters and shitlisted around the world.

Another fine example of how slow NZ takes to react to a major disaster. Waiting for an insurance company to get the ball rolling whiles tonnes and tonnes of oil is being spewed out of a ship is a classic! Maritime NZ doesn't even appear confident when responding to questions asked by reporters.

Captain & crew are from overseas - they won't end up paying a cent, the company will plead they don't have a peny or declare bankruptcy the directors and shareholders will disappear into thin air.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Captain & crew are from overseas - they won't end up paying a cent, the company will plead they don't have a peny or declare bankruptcy the directors and shareholders will disappear into thin air.

My understanding is that it is a HUGE company and hence it seems a little unlikely they'll convince anyone of this.

Another fine example of how slow NZ takes to react to a major disaster. Waiting for an insurance company to get the ball rolling whiles tonnes and tonnes of oil is being spewed out of a ship is a classic! Maritime NZ doesn't even appear confident when responding to questions asked by reporters.

You want someone to go and stick their finger in the hole and stop the leak?

You want someone to go and stick their finger in the hole and stop the leak?

No but immediate action instead of waiting a few days for the red tape to be cut i.e immediately starting the removal of oil and containers to prevent or at least lessen the potential environmental impact especially when the weather was good - instead Maritime NZ stood around with their hands up their ass.

My understanding is that it is a HUGE company and hence it seems a little unlikely they'll convince anyone of this.

Ja - but on the same token like a WOF if you have a prang and your car isn't up to scratch I could almost guarantee the insurers of the ship would walk away.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

No but immediate action instead of waiting a few days for the red tape to be cut i.e immediately starting the removal of oil and containers to prevent or at least lessen the potential environmental impact especially when the weather was good - instead Maritime NZ stood around with their hands up their ass.

Ja - but on the same token like a WOF if you have a prang and your car isn't up to scratch I could almost guarantee the insurers of the ship would walk away.

NZ does not have the equipment to remove the containers. A ship with a crane is on its way from Australia.

The amount of planning and paper work that needs to be done before work can even start is crazy, you need to plan every step, document every hazard and account for it etc and have procedures in place. - If this is not done and someone gets hurt or killed OSH will have a field day on you ass and you may end up in prison for manslaughter - I dont think any company would risk that.

NZ does not have the equipment to remove the containers. A ship with a crane is on its way from Australia.

The amount of planning and paper work that needs to be done before work can even start is crazy, you need to plan every step, document every hazard and account for it etc and have procedures in place. - If this is not done and someone gets hurt or killed OSH will have a field day on you ass and you may end up in prison for manslaughter - I dont think any company would risk that.

Given that - the effort of removing the heavy fuel oil could have started alot sooner and from the major eastern ports of Australia it should take about 5-7 days to get to Tauranga - however this ship has apparently only just left!

its quite amazing actually. how could a captain and his co captains and navigators, charts, maps and GPS or what ever they have in ships not know there was a reef there.. damn seriously... that company should be made to clean up the mess and pay compensation like BP did.

really want to know what caused it to happen though.

Sorry, don't agree at all. Utter PC CRAP that nothing was done immediately. Talk about an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff. You don't always have the luxury of planning every step in an unexpected disaster - sometimes common sense needs to prevail.

It's not rocket science that the boat was probably going to leak oil, the weather was fine for at least four days after the stranding. A boat does not take nearly five days to get from Auckland to Tauranga. Oil could have been pumped from forward to aft from the word go (they were only doing this yesterday), & pumping off the boat the next day.

Boats could have been out with booms to encompass the boat & contain the oil, there was a guy on TV last night with a viable solution for soaking up oil - a product world proven & already used here in NZ. Powers that be were not interested, he was told to come back to them AFTER this now "disaster" :wacko::wacko: :wacko:

F%#k the paper work - sort that later! It was a case of everyone running for cover - boat owners waiting on their insurance company, insurance company looking for cheapest recovery/salvage options & none of them giving a rats arse for this country & the impact this is having on it!

Our powers that be should have completely overridden the above & insisted that a proactive approach was taken, if not, organised themselves - not sat with their hands up their arse as referred above.

I agree that it does require a professional approach as for salvage etc, but as I said above - containing/ removing oil from the boat aint rocket science & would have no hinderance into the salvage planning.

This whole episode is a total discrace. Clean green image - yea right!

its quite amazing actually. how could a captain and his co captains and navigators, charts, maps and GPS or what ever they have in ships not know there was a reef there.. damn seriously... that company should be made to clean up the mess and pay compensation like BP did.

really want to know what caused it to happen though.

Yep, I believe apparently the reef was documented by Captain Cook