Sign in to follow this  
richard

hamptondowns turn 1

i need help !!. If i not changing from 5 to 2 and locking up the back tyres , i do it like this ................

i start to brake as i go under the lights hard , change down to 4 then 3 ,off the brake on the gas ,aim for the ripple strip and open up the wheel moving to the out side of the track . ......As per video .

am also practicing on my editing skills........... :)

please feel free to comment

I know I'm new but I just go to 4th and hold the momentum round the corner. Seems to work heaps better than rushing down into to 3rd. Less things to do and sets me up better for the corner....

Your'e ok Rich. Any errors in judgement are probably due to smoke inhalation from me in front of you :o

I know I'm new but I just go to 4th and hold the momentum round the corner. Seems to work heaps better than rushing down into to 3rd. Less things to do and sets me up better for the corner....

Never tried that around turn one Jack but I would suspect you are losing too much momentum for fourth gear

have tryed 4th ,just felt slow on the up take to turn 2 Edited by rich

I run it in 3rd in the 205. I'd say 4th would be out of the power band for you guys???

A bit too much noise to tell but are you rev matching (heel-toeing down change)???

If the car is unsettled as your lifting off the brake to the gads you could look at trail braking (left-foot braking method) as its fantastic to help settle a unstable situation - a lot of motorcyclists and rally drivers use it.

have tryed 4th ,just felt slow on the up take to turn 2

Feels slow but if you look at your speed you hold way more round the corner. Thats just me but turn 1 is where I find I'm catching lots of people and thats in 4th.

Feels slow but if you look at your speed you hold way more round the corner. Thats just me but turn 1 is where I find I'm catching lots of people and thats in 4th.

to be fair ive never looked at the speedo , ill give it a go on a test day .

Looks pretty good to me rich, I think I brake somewhere around the 100m sign but some people brake later. Personally I use third gear.

If your car doesn't feel stable braking later maybe its a setup thing?

Looks pretty good to me rich, I think I brake somewhere around the 100m sign but some people brake later. Personally I use third gear.

If your car doesn't feel stable braking later maybe its a setup thing?

Hit the picks so late that you think you won't make it, then get on the power straight away, out wide or in close the line seems to be about the same speedwise, in close is best for overtake, out wide is great from start. :)

I don't know about the BMW's but i have started going from 6th to 4th (carefully) in the mx5 race car to have less to do AND try and retain stability in the braking zone and in to the turn in transition....to me worrying about going down the gears takes focus and time away from braking late and hard and getting a good turn in.

oops. didn't see the date...old thread.. :)

Edited by Rgvkiwi