Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

Options for m50 tuning

Surely this will lead to good things.

Thought I should mention it because it hasn't really been advertised.

Edited by bbs

Good for the turbo boys.

Not sure why you would want to change the stock ECU out for one of these for a NA car however ? Would be a downgrade

Good for the turbo boys.

Not sure why you would want to change the stock ECU out for one of these for a NA car however ? Would be a downgrade

ITB's, Datalogging, knock control, Im sure there are other advantages.

I'm sure there are options in nz for remapping a turbo'd m50 on a stock ecu as well

Why do you say a downgrade? I agree but would still like to hear your reasoning

My thoughts are you will loose closed loop knock control.

Changing from maf to map wont be great for everyone.

Not sure what else you'll loose.

I think the benefits for na m50 would be greater access to tuners and datalogging. Depending on how many additional inputs you get this might not be overly useful.

Also to get a nicer idle if your one of those people with a few throttles

Not sure what the price difference will be between a remap and this + tune

edit:I was way too slow

ITB's can be run through a maf sensor. Have a look at dbilas kits(nice hardware too bad they don't have the software to match)

Storm ecu's don't support knock control

Edited by bbs

I'm sure there are options in nz for remapping a turbo'd m50 on a stock ecu as well

My thoughts are you will loose closed loop knock control.

Changing from maf to map wont be great for everyone.

Not sure what else you'll loose.

I think the benefits for na m50 would be greater access to tuners and datalogging. Depending on how many additional inputs you get this might not be overly useful.

Also to get a nicer idle if your one of those people with a few throttles

Not sure what the price difference will be between a remap and this + tune

edit:I was way too slow

ITB's can be run through a maf sensor. Have a look at dbilas kits(nice hardware too bad they don't have the software to match)

Storm ecu's don't support knock control

You can remap standard ecu for turbo easy enough for 400-600hp, just need to upgrade maf.

Yeah you could run ITB's on a maf if you had them going to a common plenum but if you were setup like kerry its not gonna work.

yeah good news for sure! another think to add to my wish list haha I was told about this afew months back by a mate in the industry while they were still sorting it out, also heard whispers about a 2.7 m20 link from the same guy

You can remap standard ecu for turbo easy enough for 400-600hp, just need to upgrade maf.

Yeah you could run ITB's on a maf if you had them going to a common plenum but if you were setup like kerry its not gonna work.

i run a map with my set up but its only measuring atmospheric pressure, im prity sure the plug in would work with my set up also as i run the maf from one of the intake runners. when i decide to make a plenum i will run the map.

All of the warm up programs and event vs ICV control.

You can do datalogging on a stock DME. :) I've just finished writing some software that does exactly that amoung other things.

You can tune a stock DME, and the best thing is you get to keep all of the stock run programs that make the car drivable day to day. You dont have to spend many trips the to dyno (an added price to the ECU) to try even remotely to get the same functionality.

There are modules you can get to convert your stock DME to MAP so you can run a MAFless airbox, or if you dont want to run that you can just run it in AlphaN mode. There is nothing stopping you converting you car to ITB's with the stock DME.

I'm not knocking (excuse the pun) Link plug-ins at all, just dont get why people want to spend thousands on something they already have ?

All of the warm up programs and event vs ICV control.

Have to agree here, standard DME idle control and cold start is flawless.

Just to add something else into the mix. Miller- WAR chip.

WAR chip

Cheaper then the link plug in.

Are there any decent 'chips' for e36's?

If so, they can easily be copied right? so say eBay chips - are they sweet?

Just to add something else into the mix. Miller- WAR chip.

WAR chip

Cheaper then the link plug in.

And does not do nearly as much. It pretty much allows a noob to adjust their timing and fuel maps.

Edited by polley

Changed thread title to better reflect what is in the thread

If you change your cams wont you need to change your cold start setup?I'm sure it'll start fine in most cases with the standard startup procedure

Decent chips? 'One tune for them all' is never going to be great.

Yes you can copy a chip and steal the info and give it to all your friends. That's probably exactly what the ebay seller has done.

How much does the war chip actually control? Is there a free download to their software anywhere? From the site listed it seems you get the software only when you buy the chip. A no sex before marriage sort of deal

How much access do tuners have when remapping a factory ecu? I'm assuming they'd be using a kess v2 or similar product.

if your after good numbers then idle up isn't high on the cards, ive put stupid big cams in mine and it wasn't bad with stock ecu but now with an autronic well that's a different story.

how about a m50b20 making 300hp n/a?

be different its an engine like any other you want performance treat it accordingly thus why ive done my own thing there's too much of a mind set with bmw owners

at the moment you'll get lost forever with the work sitting there to be done :lol:

And does not do nearly as much. It pretty much allows a noob to adjust their timing and fuel maps.

Yea but would it be good for a turbo computer for a street car? im tossing up using the m5x turbo kit for my m50 e30 because a vi-pec (link) plug and play is $2000 alone and its untuned. Any insight or info would be good!

Power costs money.

What turbo kit? Don't think i've ever seen one for a right hand drive car.

Power costs money.

What turbo kit? Don't think i've ever seen one for a right hand drive car.

sorry i mean how it comes with a chip, 60lb injectors and blow thru maf kit. just wanted to know if anyone has run it.

You mean the TRM one? Plenty of people use it overseas with good results. Expensive for what you get though, and if you change anything you need to get them to re-tune it for you.