Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_G

E46 Motorsport rims query

Hi there,

I want to buy another set of Motorsport rims for my 2000 E46 330i (OEM ‘Style 68’ I believe??). My tyres are worn and rims quite curbed. I've found a set with near new tyres and have a couple of questions.

- The set of rims I’m looking at appear identical to mine but are off a 1999 Motorsport Z3. Did the Motorsport Z3 have the same rims as the Motorsport E46? Will they be the same size and offset? They are advertised as 225/17 for the front and 245/17 for the back which appear to be the same sizes as mine.

- The tyres are near new Bridgestone Regno GR-8000. Does anyone know anything about these tyres? They look to be a Japanese model and I'm struggling to get any idea of quality/appropriateness.

I just need something suitable for typical all weather Auckland driving with a mixture of safely/performance/quietness/comfort.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff,

Z3 wheels will fit an E46, however I don't think the Z3 ever came from the factory with the E46 sport rims?

As far as the tyres go, the most important factor is probably how old they are. If they are old, I'd steer away from them because tyres get hard as they get old.

To find how old a tyre is, look at the stampings in the sidewall.

Here is a link explaining that:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=11

I very recently sold a set of those wheels with minimal curbing, but excellent tyres for $900.

Hopefully this helps.

Jeff,

Z3 wheels will fit an E46, however I don't think the Z3 ever came from the factory with the E46 sport rims?

As far as the tyres go, the most important factor is probably how old they are. If they are old, I'd steer away from them because tyres get hard as they get old.

To find how old a tyre is, look at the stampings in the sidewall.

Here is a link explaining that:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=11

I very recently sold a set of those wheels with minimal curbing, but excellent tyres for $900.

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks for that advice - very helpful. Turns out the tyres were manufactured in 2007....!

Poor timing on my behalf as I would have been keen on the ones you just sold! I've decided to just go with new tyres for now as can put up with curbed rims.

Cheers,

Jeff

Good idea - you can always get the curbing repaired at a later date - think it's around $100 a rim.

Thanks for posting that info about tyre date manufacture very handy, could admin sticky this as it seems to always come up thanks

Happy New Year