Sign in to follow this  
ACS523i

Rear Camber Adjustment 540i E39

Hi

We had this issue with our 523i schnitzer, and I don't want it happening again in our 540i, where the camber on the back is such that it chews out the inside of the back tyres - so you come to a warrant, glance at the outside which have 5-6mm of tread left - and end up being told your down to the canvas on the insides. :o

Is there a cost effective solution putting new rear shocks etc in it?? (we have the 540i with the EDC suspension)

:huh:

Cheers

Steve

i would be checking all the suspension arms , bushes and ball joints

they all wear out , also the e39 have adjustments for camber in the rear etc.

but if the bushes/arms have not been changed in the last 80,000km i would say they would need doing.

i have some if needed

Depends also on the tyres you are running. I had Toyo Proxi 4 18's on & wore three pairs of rears to canvas on inside edge before I spat the dumby. I would put a new pair on the front & swap front to rear. Rears were getting no more than 15k/12 months each time. Car has sedate driving too. Had several wheel alignment checks by a mechanic with a brain on his machine, where I even got him to dial out a little neg camber. Still inside wear. Nothing wrong with the car.

Got talking to Jonno on here. He confirmed to me (as I suspected) they ( the Toyo's) were a soft compound tyre. He had a new Chinese tyre available (can't remember what it is offhand) with aparently a higher than usual silica content. Against my usual judgement for Chinese tyres (apart from my trailer), I got a pair of these off him & put on the rear. Asymmetric as opposed to directional. This just over two years ago & when I recently looked, they still have 50% wear left right across the tyre. Done about 30k's too. Car is not a race car & not driven like, but they still seem to perform ok. This does prove though - tyre variations will cause this problem. The Toyo's are still on the front & still quite ok in that position.

I am not suggesting Chinese tyres as the answer. I fully understand the variables in tyre qualities/perfomance/noise etc but merely pointing out that the higher performance/softer compound tyres are a compromise in wear patterns on the rears of these cars when fitted with low profile tyres.

Don't dispute what you are saying Ron but...

In my case - not running a "hard tyre" but certainly harder than the Toyo

Less static neg camber will still alter the "total" neg camber under "squat" position, so will make somewhat of a difference.

On mine, toe in was fine, squat & body roll was not the cause as the car is mostly driven by "other half" & she hardly pedals the thing. I rarely drive it.

These issues were between 25km & about 70Km so worn components was NOT an issue. I do suspect too soft tyre wall though - judging by the strange wear patterns we got on the inside shoulder.

In this car I was not interested in uprating all the suspension components, particually when all the OEM content was still quite ok, nor in hindsight did I need to. That said - I fully understand what you say.

I also agree - a decent rated tyre will be the go. I am merely pointing out what I have struck. I am not in this case "masking" any failings of the car by fitting "hard" tyres.

I was not in the mood either to experiment with $300+ tyres.