Sign in to follow this  
evil_elmo

mini cooper

From what I remember (it has been around 20 years since I owned one):

- Rust in the sills, roof, firewall and doors

- Leaks from the rocker cover

- Leaks from the cam cover plates (back of the engine)

- Any number of electrical gremlins in the old ones

- Piss poor lights

- Easily picked locks

- Ride like an anorexic schoolgirl (boney)

That one looks like a really nice example - and very late model too. They were assembled by militant midlands hillbillys so I don't think any two minis were ever identical and the fit and finish was never great on them even from new. Closest thing to an airbag in mine was the spare tyre....

Could be one hell of a lot of fun!

thanks elmarco

seems like rust is always a issue with mini's no matter what year it was made in. As for the other faults i know of a good mechanic which can take care of any leaks around the engine :D

Heh same spec as the one Richard Hammond uses in the latest Top Gear episode.

I like it!

Heh same spec as the one Richard Hammond uses in the latest Top Gear episode.

I like it!

i think Hammonds one was a john works cooper, it had bigger guards than his one

if i do get one i wont be winching anything with it :D

- Rust between the number plates.

- Everything else.

That should about cover it.

Huge amounts of fun though.

- Rust in the sills, roof, firewall and doors

- Leaks from the rocker cover

- Leaks from the cam cover plates (back of the engine)

- Any number of electrical gremlins in the old ones

- Piss poor lights

- Easily picked locks

- Ride like an anorexic schoolgirl (boney)

That one looks like a really nice example - and very late model too. They were assembled by militant midlands hillbillys so I don't think any two minis were ever identical and the fit and finish was never great on them even from new. Closest thing to an airbag in mine was the spare tyre....

More to check (esp. if uk import as to NZ new)

- Rut in the front floor sections

- Rusted rear subframe

- Rusted battery box in boot

- Rust in rear boot floor edge

- Rust in front subframes

- A pannel rust and pannel at front windscreen

Other things to check

- Front ball joint wear on front hubs

- Water leaks that lead to rotting carpets

- CV joints (Do full left & right had turns and listen for CV knock)

- Speedo circuit board / tacho

- Some had issues with rubber fuel lines and NZ unleaded petrol on injected versions.

- Rear drum brake pistons

- Tearing around seat subframe mounts to chassis mounts

- Gearbox rod change entry point oil leak (Easy to fix with $20 aftermarket mod)

- Check alloy gearbox housing for impact factures at the front.

That aside there are so many aftermarket bits for the old style Mini's that every area can be replaced or improved on. Typically the NZ coopers have been well looked after by collectors / Mini fans so many are in mint condition.

Edited by Neal

Thank you for all the replies

We spoke to the owners and they have maintain the car very well, only rust found was under the windscreen and he got that repaired. It sounds like they have not spared any cash on it and truly looked after it

All sounding good then. BTW, those old mini's become very addictive.

I've got one side of the garage full with two & half minis from the 1960's. One is still leaking oil dispite having not being moved / started for 6 years !

All sounding good then. BTW, those old mini's become very addictive.

I've got one side of the garage full with two & half minis from the 1960's. One is still leaking oil dispite having not being moved / started for 6 years !

i hope one mini is enough for us as we are running out of room to park our cars haha

Just checked out the photo's in a bit more detail. Looks like you've got a good one. Good price too. Many people have spent more than this to make standard minis look like cooper let alone the real thing.

Change the tyres to 165's on your next change and you'll find the cornering will improve considerably.

thank you we always wanted one like this and this way we dont have to spend any money making it look this way!! thanks for the tip, will upgrade to 165's on the next tyre change

do you know what type of engine oil would be best?

For the race engine I'll run mobil 1 mainly because of the added turbo and of low wear I've had on older BMW engines while running this oil.

But Keith Calver that writes a collum in mini mag has written a few artilces about the rights and wrongs of modern engine oils in older technology engines that don't have the same level of harding on some of the drive componets hence permature wear if some are used.

Check out the end of the second article for an oil recommendation, but have a read through the two to gain the understanding of what is important for oils in a mini engine context

http://www.minimania.com/web/SCatagory/ENG...89/ArticleV.cfm

http://www.minimania.com/web/SCatagory/ENG...ticleV.cfmehind

Edited by Neal

If you need any more info or want to join the mini club of auckland - If you are in auckland (its probably the cheapest affilliated club and they are a very active club - i do their bi-monthly magazine) get in touch with my dad - r-coubray@xtra.co.nz - he is completely obsessed with mini's and has a huge knowledge of them - afterall he has been tinkering around with them since i can remember and I'm nearly 26. He has about 17 of them in storage - most not going yet but oneday I'm sure they will be.

They were assembled by militant midlands hillbillys so I don't think any two minis were ever identical and the fit and finish was never great on them even from new. Closest thing to an airbag in mine was the spare tyre....

ROFL! yes British Leyland had some big industrial relations problems back in the 70's.

I've had a couple of triumph STAG v8 and like minis rust / bodged repairs can be an issue.

Apparently, not a penny was ever made on the mini, it was not well suited to mass production.

I had a new mini cooper supercharged recently, that was a hoot to drive but the suspension too unforgiving for a daily driver imo.