Sign in to follow this  
Docile

Save up your pennies boys and girls !

In the early 90's, nearly all the NZ Car importers did the same. We used to have to use NZ new chassis numbers from another car to buy parts for Jap imports we were working on. After a while they all woke up to the missed opportunity of selling parts. This also lead to the private parts importers that further hit the dealers hard and this continues to this day. When dealers realised the mistake they had made, many did jap import only recalls to replace minor parts for free to get a customer data base for sending out literature to try a gain back lost business. I could name a few of these but I better not. Someone else might like to though.

There where some very dodgy practises going on around the time. There where a number of Mk1 RX7's cut in half and brought in under "parts" and welded back together in the late 80's only to be sold to unsuspecting car buyers. They where also selling for a premuim.

I came across one at a large well known import dealer when looking for 12A Turbo Cosmos Coupe as was keen on the idea of a rotory tubro , fortunately brought a E21 323i instead and haven't looked back since.

Import duty on secondhand cars ended up dropping to align with used parts