Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Hybrid: Dynavin D99 Android e39 with DVB-T

Well I shelled out the $$$ for a new D99 / E39 Android computer. I also purchased the DVB-T box.

Its going to take me a few hours ill try document the install a long the way :) including a half way decent video at the end, Im sick of looking at phone cam or low resolution / out of focus shakey noob cam video on youtube!

compulsery carpet shot

Posted Image

including a half way decent video at the end, Im sick of looking at phone cam or low resolution / out of focus shakey noob cam video on youtube!

Woot!

I hate it when this happens ...

I own a face lift car, but the amp wiring is pre-fl ... dam NZ dealers :D

Bit of surgery needed to fit the new loom. Easy enough.

Posted Image

Whats this vice on the computer desk thing Josh :unsure:

lol yeah ... haven't bought a proper soldering hand yet ... should do actually.

anyways .. all done :)

Posted Image

For anyone attempting this. The cage and dash install isnt as straight forward as first thought. Im glad I have another day tomorrow :)

Learning as I go.

Here is a link into the trim removal needed to get the cage in. So of this is a bit obsolete as its an another product, but give the general idea.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=57

Damn it! While I'm stuck down here in the SI waiting an extra 2 working days for mine! Be keen to learn from your install though.

Was quite simple after I got going except for my bloody head unit space. For some reason it was tighter than a nun.

Anyways, here it is in pictorial form.

Pull the unit out like so

Posted Image

And remove these screws to get it off the frame.

Posted Image

Pull the bottom trim down and outwards. Its a bit of a bitch to do but it needs to be done to remove the stock 16:9 frame.

Posted Image

And out she comes with a bit of coaxing

Posted Image

So the instructions are pretty much useless at this point. If you fully construct the frame with the middle bridge piece, it just won't go in .. so put it in a 3rd at a time. This is the right hand side installed .. Install the left then bolt in the middle section.

Posted Image

Next remove all the trim down the left hand side of the car to lay the loom for rear amp connections. You only need this loom if you have had factory TV. If you just had the MID / controller then your connections are up front. Lucky you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Out comes all the the old stuff.

Posted Image

A bunch of stuff thats probably going to be up for sale soon :)

Posted Image

Soooo one of the got yas, the looms came with a mistake ... The ibus control wiring is back to front for the RS485 connectivity. So the white and blue wires are reversed like so. This will allow proper MF steering control via the IBUS -> Dynavin micro controller box (see black box below)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ibus 'blackbox' that allows dynavin to talk IBUS protocol and read the OBC stuff. Although I dont think it askes the 'right' questions to the car personally as battery voltage doesnt work on the dynavin OBC

Posted Image

So this is where things got really hard .. this thing is NunSpec

The dynavin display on my car didnt quite fit as you can see. So I got inventive with the wifes chopping boards and a can of dryglide.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dryglide ftw.

Posted Image

In it finally went

Posted Image

Trim back together and every looked zen again.

Posted Image

I tidied up all of the stuff in the rear properly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also as a side note, I taped up some of the plugs (usb / arial etc) as cars are a high vibration environment, saves fault finding later :)

Ill do the video up tomorrow. But everything on this thing kicks ass! .. I need to go get a nice 32GB micro SD card to store maps and other larger apps on.

The first impressions of the DVB-T / TV unit is great ... digital TV rules.

Excellent work! I spent all day yesterday reading overseas installation reviews and they all seem to say the same thing, crossed control wires and really really tight fit.

Installed one today, very hard to push it in, but found the trick is that you have to lift rear first this will allow the rear part not stuck on the metal bar in dash. Then try to push HARD on each side, it will clip in nicely. Will upload picture later

Does anyone know if I can use the GPS antennae I already have in the car? I assume it's stock, but it's stuck to the front windscreen and doesn't look very stock.

Also there's a BMW box with "GPS receiver" written on it in the back under the floor of the touring. If I have to use the dynavin antennae, can I delete this box? More room for a hidden amp in the future!

Also I have no idea if I need the loom from front to back or not! I guess I'll find out when I give it a go, let's hope not! haha.

Excited!

Does anyone know if I can use the GPS antennae I already have in the car? I assume it's stock, but it's stuck to the front windscreen and doesn't look very stock.

Also there's a BMW box with "GPS receiver" written on it in the back under the floor of the touring. If I have to use the dynavin antennae, can I delete this box? More room for a hidden amp in the future!

Also I have no idea if I need the loom from front to back or not! I guess I'll find out when I give it a go, let's hope not! haha.

Excited!

The unit on the windscreen is NOT the GPS antenna. It will be the Japan toll transmitter unit.

The GPS aerial will be in the rear somewhere (not sure on the Touring as I haven't traced but in the sedan is located under the rear shelf trim)

The GPS receiver box under the floor is the Jap unit (the GPS aerial plugs into it) The Euro spec nav unit has a built receiver so doesn't use this & it can be removed when doing a Jap - Euro conversion. So yes - just remove it. I guess you could get an extention lead made & connect the GPS aerial in the rear to the Dynavin.

Yes you will need the loom to go from front to rear. The fact you have a monitor puts the radio tuner in the left rear corner. This is where the Dynavin connects to.

The unit on the windscreen is NOT the GPS antenna. It will be the Japan toll transmitter unit.

The GPS aerial will be in the rear somewhere (not sure on the Touring as I haven't traced but in the sedan is located under the rear shelf trim)

The GPS receiver box under the floor is the Jap unit (the GPS aerial plugs into it) The Euro spec nav unit has a built receiver so doesn't use this & it can be removed when doing a Jap - Euro conversion. So yes - just remove it. I guess you could get an extention lead made & connect the GPS aerial in the rear to the Dynavin..................

Im pretty sure the GPS aerial on a touring is on the dashboard. Fitted in the A/C grill. Certainly looks like one and the aerial cable from the GPS receiver goes forward and along the tunnel to the front of the car.

I have gutted the GPS engine out of the original box because the Jap GPS did not have a standard output, and have fitted a conventional NMEA GPS engine into the same metal box for a vehicle tracking application that I use.

I'm gonna be in trouble though when I get onto Grant for the MKIV nav upgrade. I'm already using the aerial !!!

Stand corrected then Dave. As I said - I haven't traced it in the Touring - have had no need to, just need to have an extension made to connect to the Euro nav in the rear corner.

Guess that means it can be retreated to the front to connect to Dynavin then.

BTW - your addition sounds interesting

Yuss another thing I can throw out. The cable is the exact same type of cable as the GPS cable (and connectors too) so that's why I wondered if it was.

The GPS receiver box under the floor is the Jap unit (the GPS aerial plugs into it) The Euro spec nav unit has a built receiver so doesn't use this & it can be removed when doing a Jap - Euro conversion. So yes - just remove it. I guess you could get an extention lead made & connect the GPS aerial in the rear to the Dynavin.

I'll test it with the dynavin out and see if it works. I've heard that on the android model the GPS antennae is quite picky as to where it will work. Prefers to be placed on a metal base.

Yes you will need the loom to go from front to rear. The fact you have a monitor puts the radio tuner in the left rear corner. This is where the Dynavin connects to.

Not that pleased about having to dish out more cash! Is the loom just an extension cable for the existing small adapter loom? I couldn't find any connectors in the car that looked like the connectors on the small adapter loom. Do you think I could just extend one of the small ones? Or is there more to it then that? I thought the dynavin has it's own tuner (dual) so why does it need to connect to the stock one? Is it just using it as an input to the amp?

When I end up replacing the stock amp, will I need this loom still? I will end up using the RCA outputs on the dynavin so what in the loom will still be needed?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for the help!

The Dynavin plugs into OEM radio plug which for a non monitor car is in the front - so plug play (not that I have fitted one)

The radio tuner is in the rear in a monitor equipped car so the Dynavin needs the full loom to run to the rear to pick up the factory radio loom plug in the car - yes you disconnect the current tuner.

Surely there must be a retrofit loom available with the Dynavin units for this application?

Not that I would personally want to remove an OEM system to retrofit a Dynavin. That said - a great bang for buck addition for non monitor vehicles.

Yuss another thing I can throw out. The cable is the exact same type of cable as the GPS cable (and connectors too) so that's why I wondered if it was.

I'll test it with the dynavin out and see if it works. I've heard that on the android model the GPS antennae is quite picky as to where it will work. Prefers to be placed on a metal base.

Not that pleased about having to dish out more cash! Is the loom just an extension cable for the existing small adapter loom? I couldn't find any connectors in the car that looked like the connectors on the small adapter loom. Do you think I could just extend one of the small ones? Or is there more to it then that? I thought the dynavin has it's own tuner (dual) so why does it need to connect to the stock one? Is it just using it as an input to the amp?

When I end up replacing the stock amp, will I need this loom still? I will end up using the RCA outputs on the dynavin so what in the loom will still be needed?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for the help!

Yes you need the extension cable for route main connector from back to front. The reason is that for all cars with OEM screen has radio tuner box in boot, the new extension harness will allow you to route the connector form back to front dash.

You will still need this extension even if you add aftermarket amp later, as all acc, power, ibus... is on the connector. Unless you want to make your own one and tap all signal in front: ibus from KOMBI, power, ground, illumination and acc under steering wheel.

BTW - your addition sounds interesting

Just a tracking device whenever the ignition is turned on. Have a look at:

http://aprs.fi/?call=zl3trx-9&mt=roadm...&_s=ss_call

I have been overseas for the last few weeks and the car has hardly been used so not much activity. Will have more activity next week when I get back to work.

My other vehicle (Landrover Discovery)

http://aprs.fi/?call=zl3trx-12&mt=road...&_s=ss_call

gets used by my wife a bit more often.

I will probably contact you off list soon about a MK IV Nav conversion. Its getting too much hassle to source one from the countries I go to.

I've found another box while ripping everything apart that I think I can get rid of... "3 Media Group" or 65908385447 but I've stuck this into realoem and it didn't find anything.

Also already gotten rid of the Jap telephone box thing. Still need to get rid of all the cabling.

Can anybody confirm that a little box which has a tiny coax cable plugged into it, and then another line out the other side which goes into the window trim... is a FM aerial? Is this the diversity aerial setup I've heard about on other BMWs?

Still no sign of any radio box or any other box that has a plug that looks the same as the dynavin harness.... stupid jap import.

I've found another box while ripping everything apart that I think I can get rid of... "3 Media Group" or 65908385447 but I've stuck this into realoem and it didn't find anything.

Also already gotten rid of the Jap telephone box thing. Still need to get rid of all the cabling.

Can anybody confirm that a little box which has a tiny coax cable plugged into it, and then another line out the other side which goes into the window trim... is a FM aerial? Is this the diversity aerial setup I've heard about on other BMWs?

Still no sign of any radio box or any other box that has a plug that looks the same as the dynavin harness.... stupid jap import.

All early e39 will have round pin plug. So as Josh posted in the beginning, you will need to use the to cut both round pin adapter head and extension head that come with Dynavin package then join them together. After that, you will have new extension harness that can plug into your OEM plug.

For radio aerial need to use adapter that in Dynavin package. There are 2 types of adpter included in the package. One should work with your car. Use the adapter first then plug into the aerial extension.

The easiest way to push the unit into the dash is to remove the vent on top of the unit.

This will allow to reduce some pressure from top. After the vent removed, it is very easy to push in.